LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

CC503 Cam Problem...Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your timing is wrong for sure. IMO If you have a 94 opti like you say then did spline it correctly for sure when you installed the opti. How about did you get the opti wet with coolant and it could be that causing misfires that could be popping sounds.

Last edited by SPEED#1; 01-07-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Three PROBABILITIES:

Spark plug wires incorrectly routed - REALLY EASY to do and happens often.

Lifter preload set too tight causing valve(s) to remain open

Incorrectly installed Opti

Check them in that order since that would be the easiest to the most difficult.

Jake
Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

valves are loose 4 thread method some may even be less than 4....I have stabbed opti so many times its unreal but I'll give it a go again I'll post a video of what its doing....dont know the quality of the video my buddy recorded it
Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the Vid hope it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLrR0J0zCzM
Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

oh and the flames are from where I haven't welded up the Smog ****
Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

BUMP she is still down NEED HELP
Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I'm guessing this is a new cc 503 setup. If that's true then doesn't the ecm need to be re-tuned?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first, get the headers sealed up. Thats just stupid. All that un-metered air is probably messing with stuff like the o2's. Then put the air intake back on with the sensors hooked up. The PCM isnt able to meter any air coming in so it wont know what to do. Its not some old school 1960's engine where you can leave a bunch of crap not hooked up.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
first, get the headers sealed up. Thats just stupid. All that un-metered air is probably messing with stuff like the o2's. Then put the air intake back on with the sensors hooked up. The PCM isnt able to meter any air coming in so it wont know what to do. Its not some old school 1960's engine where you can leave a bunch of crap not hooked up.

+1 big time
Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
For sure the mass air flow should be plugged in for sure and stop pressing the gas pedal....flooding **** like hell..Did you atleast check the valves yet?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

If you are in the chicagoland area I am free all week I might be able to give you a hand. I have done several LT1 cam swaps. I also have a vented opti in case that happens to be whats wrong with your car. PM me and let me know.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

sounds like your 180 off on timing. You need to find the compresson cycle of number 1 and make sure the piston is all the way at the top and both valves are closed. Then make sure the rotor is pointing at number 1 on the opti. One way to tell if the rockers are to tight is to find the close possition on the cam. messure from the bottom of the valve spring seat to the top of the valve stem and then back off on the rocker nut and see if there is a change in the hight of the valve stem. If so the rockers are holding the valve open and not allowing it to close. This can be caused by improper seat of a lifter or push rod, wrong pushrod size. If you can dismiss the rockers, lifters and push rods as well as the timimg there should be no reason to tear it down again. Is there a thread on what you have in this engine?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I have checked the valves and did the 4 thread trick like you said rob...And since when does pressing the pedal Flood **** on a fuel injected Car? not saying it dont just never have had it happen to me before....must be a GM thing....and have since sealed the headers and tried plugging the sensors up but no dice...I have ordered a new opti so we will see how things work out when it gets here
Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

The engine should crank with the stock tune correct? I know it needs one but im sure I read somewhere about ppl starting their cars up afterwards being untuned
Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DVS BSTD
The engine should crank with the stock tune correct? I know it needs one but im sure I read somewhere about ppl starting their cars up afterwards being untuned
It does run untuned, it just won't idle too well and stall alot in traffic on a stock stall.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

any new news on this?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:42 AM
Teching In

should start up without the maf or anything hooked up. i got my xfi 292 to start up kinda like the way yours sits

make sure your gear set is lined up on the dots at tdc on # 1 not # 6.

make sure you remembered to put the reluctor wheel back in the timing chain for the crank case sensor to make a connection

cheack all the little **** and dumb **** like injector plugs, and making sure your plug wires are hooked up correctly

IMHO it sounds like its not getting spark. make sure when you put the opti on that it popped on all the way not just half way. my first time changing a cam i THOUGHT it popped onto the dowel but wasnt lined up correctly, and i used the bolts to pull it tight because i had never done it before and needless to say i had issues.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DVS BSTD
ironically enough the cam I bought had a broken dowell pin and my 95 has a non vented opti

i tried it at both #1 TDC and #6 TDC (#1 being cam dot was at 12 o'clock and #6 being dot to dot)

at #1 the engine backfires out of the intake and at #6 it backfires out of the exhaust....as far as valve lash I have loosened up the rockers thinking they might be too snug and it still won't crank only backfiring and im lining up the opti's "double pin" to the Double slot on the cam gear and still only backfiring.....I have no clue I have torn this thing apart so much I could do it in my sleep now...some one please shed some light

the backfiring is trying to get unused compression out of the cylinders, def check to make sure your plug wires are in the correct order to the opti. and i know some cams have longer dowel pin lengths creating problems not letting the opti go on all the way, which can be fixed by shaving it down a little.

Quick Reply: CC503 Cam Problem...Won't Start