LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

market for turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the guy above. I'll spend the money neccesary to go fast.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's my take on it - 90% of the LT1 market are broke-asses, which is why we have LT1s in the first place. IMO Dont cater to these people at all. I know you said you wouldn't build them cheap, but IMO if you strive for anything it should be the opposite. Build it and market it as a top notch system, and you might be able to profit enough on a smaller volume of builds for it to succeed. There are LT1 owners with money out there.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
$3-4K? There is no way a kit can be fabricated using quality materials and parts IMO.

We have approx $1500 in just hot side MS bends on systems we do though most are TT kits.

+ wastegate ( s ), BOV, coatings

I think there is more of a market now then ever as the LT1 seems to be coming back on the map again. The thing is with anything price will matter, but IMO a nice kit is worth more in the $8K range ( depending on materials, turbo options, etc )

1 off builds as we do are more then the above mentioned prices

The truth.

People want turbo kits for the same price as a comprable used S/C kits... just not gonna happen. Lot's of people love to to gauge the LT1 crowd for turbo kit opportunity, and it is all the same responses. People want the option, but not alot of people end up buying in the end. Its a big build, and if people are worried about spending 4k on a turbo kit, then they will be shocked when they see the final price of a well built car.

Here is my advice for you lifeisgood, make a kit first for your car, and then show off it's "quality" and provide ballpark pricing. Your shop will have to make jigs and make one type of kit inorder to make these at a "cheaper" price then the other people out there. If you are going to build one off custom kit like Speedinc and "others", then you will face the reality of the higher expenses. That's just the way it is.

More options are always better, and I look forward to pics.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
90% of the LT1 market are broke-asses, which is why we have LT1s in the first place. IMO Dont cater to these people at all.
I agree except with the "which is why" part. I could have bought an LS1, but wanted the torque lower in the power band.

And getting back to it. Don't make one based off of idiots online. They'll all tell you they'll buy one. One in 250 will.

Go for the 6k range. Too high and people would rather go full custom. Go to cheap ($) and you're fighting for market share.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSWHO
I agree except with the "which is why" part. I could have bought an LS1, but wanted the torque lower in the power band.

And getting back to it. Don't make one based off of idiots online. They'll all tell you they'll buy one. One in 250 will.

Go for the 6k range. Too high and people would rather go full custom. Go to cheap ($) and you're fighting for market share.
well I'm a counterexample to that also, Im just saying thats why the majority of people have them, they are cheap.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Add me to the list of people who are interested! I would prefer retaining my AC though.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
here's my take on it - 90% of the LT1 market are broke-asses, which is why we have LT1s in the first place. IMO Dont cater to these people at all. I know you said you wouldn't build them cheap, but IMO if you strive for anything it should be the opposite. Build it and market it as a top notch system, and you might be able to profit enough on a smaller volume of builds for it to succeed. There are LT1 owners with money out there.

Funny and oh so true. Its not often that you even see a nice LT-1 these days. I cant tell you the last time I saw one with even a supercharger or nitrous! The cheap factor def plays into that. Im seeing how cheap people are trying to sell my turbo right now. THey treat you as if you are a charity! Power costs money people, and not everyone can have it. For the rest of us we can always dream!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Yeah i can relate to that. I built a 600+hp Nissan SR20 engine and only got 5k when i sold it. It was a fully forged, sleeved, balanced, solid lifter, 67mm turbo, fully tuned setup. I lost my *** on that but it did let me pay things off and get another F body. People really dont appreciate the time, effort, and money involved in making something powerful and fast.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
$3-4K? There is no way a kit can be fabricated using quality materials and parts IMO.

We have approx $1500 in just hot side MS bends on systems we do though most are TT kits.

+ wastegate ( s ), BOV, coatings

I think there is more of a market now then ever as the LT1 seems to be coming back on the map again. The thing is with anything price will matter, but IMO a nice kit is worth more in the $8K range ( depending on materials, turbo options, etc )

1 off builds as we do are more then the above mentioned prices
Lt1s are in the same postition the 3rd gens were in a couple years ago....although i think theyre making a faster turn around b/c theyre easier to make power with, or atleast easier than the 3rd gens.
every one is right, people that usually have the money to own a built lt1 would prefer to buy a ls1, but there are people out there like me that still like the LT cars, i believe as said above that a good kit is worth paying for, but in the same respect needs to be marketed in a decent price range.
one off builds always cost more...more time and materials.
heres my plan...as soon as my ls swap is done im going to start on a kit, once finished and power levels are est. ill post pics and dyno #s, i truly believe that people will buy them. now will they sale as much as a well known S/C kit, or a rear mount turbo....no... im not going to have the funds to advertise the way they have. but a good fitting and powerful kit will sale.

Quick Reply: market for turbo kits?