LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Update on cc503 cam swap...bad news...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QWIKWS6
I hope those springs arent shitty quality I just bought a set
Me too. Anyone else have issues with those springs?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats good to know! I figured there would be plenty on room to drop a valve when te piston is all the way in the bore?
Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The only way for the valve to bend is if it hit the piston.

Also, it's impossible to fully drop an LT1 valve into the cylinder. It's just too long.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta answer the pushrod question. Regrinding a new cam reduces the overall base-circle of the cam requiring longer pushrods.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shbox
A question that still needs to be answered. I'm guessing a regrind is going to need different PRs or the geometry is going to be screwed up.

Lloyd Elliott recommends them, so I would say they should be ok. As with any spring, it needs to match the application.
And Obama also said he was going to end the war in Afghanistan and turn the economy back around. Personally I think there are a lot better springs out there he could have gone with. He also should have changed out the PR/rockers and ditched his OEM camshaft and spent the $$$ for a NEW custom grind. Who the heck re-uses a OEM camshaft?????
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Gotta answer the pushrod question. Regrinding a new cam reduces the overall base-circle of the cam requiring longer pushrods.
I'll bet that's what caused the problem. It would be interesting to see where the "contact patch" on the valve is with one of the remaining R/Rs. Probably getting flex from the stock push rods, exacerbating the problem.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with several here and believe the pushrod length wasn't correct against the regrind. Had they been the right ones, I don't think he would have had a problem, but then I also kinda wonder if he had a weak spring out of the box too..
Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock p/r = weak as paris hilton. especially since they wont be correct length.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
And Obama also said he was going to end the war in Afghanistan and turn the economy back around. Personally I think there are a lot better springs out there he could have gone with. He also should have changed out the PR/rockers and ditched his OEM camshaft and spent the $$$ for a NEW custom grind. Who the heck re-uses a OEM camshaft?????
I didn't say LE recommended them for him. Just saying they are apparently recognized to be suitable for certain applications. Of course he could have gone with a better spring. I agree that doing the cheap regrind thing did not seem to work out. I guess it seemed a good idea at the time.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blufc3s
I'll bet that's what caused the problem. It would be interesting to see where the "contact patch" on the valve is with one of the remaining R/Rs. Probably getting flex from the stock push rods, exacerbating the problem.
Unless something was binding, the PR length probably isn't gonna cause what happened to him.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact is he had multiple failures at once. The spring, rocker and pushrod all failed. Now, to be truthful, one probably caused the other two. I'd guess that the spring failed first, then the continued operation of the engine caused the rocker and pushrod to be damaged. And my next question would be how far into the guide is the valve spring? If it's mostly sticking out you may have gotten lucky and bent it before it hit the piston. Chances are though that you'll be needing a rebuild. Maybe just a set of forged pistons and a hone job. Save as much as possible. Either way there's no real way to know how bad it is inside until the heads come off. Good Luck.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
You are comparing apples to oranges. Obama who cares about him, Secondly Lloyd knows his **** and what works. HE tells you what to use and what not to use. He dont like to steer anyone in the wrong direction.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
You are comparing apples to oranges. Obama who cares about him, Secondly Lloyd knows his **** and what works. HE tells you what to use and what not to use. He dont like to steer anyone in the wrong direction.
But Lloyd doesn't do the QC on Bullet springs.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is QC mean?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

To answer your questions. No, I didn't check the length of the pushrods, but I did make sure that the tip of the rr was centered over the valve during half lift. I made sure that the roller rocker wasn't anywhere near coming off the edge of the top of the valve.

BTW, the engine I bought came out of a 93-94, so I thought that was hardened. I think it was either the spring or the roller rocker that failed first. The cam wasn't the issue. The tip of the roller rocker that makes contact with the valve could have snapped off first and caused all the problems. So, it's hard to say. I just hope the piston isn't effed up, but I have no money to dump into the car for a while. I just spent it all getting it back together....

I bought the vs2700 because of loyde reccomending them in a post form lt1ls1.com However, people reccomend the compcams 26918 and there are posts all over this forum of busted springs, so who knows???
Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SPEED#1
What is QC mean?
Quality control.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

QC = Quality Control
Old 01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Ninja'd me
Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I just want to point out that cheaping out on the valvetrain is not always and rarely is a smart thing to do. On the bright side, atleast you can learn from this and not make the same mistake twice.

About the springs...unless they were recommended to you for your particular camshaft then you cannot just assume they are the correct spring to use. The 918's you are referring to were a bad batch made in mexico awhile back. The safe alternative is the PAC 1218's.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I just want to point out that cheaping out on the valvetrain is not always and rarely is a smart thing to do. On the bright side, atleast you can learn from this and not make the same mistake twice.

About the springs...unless they were recommended to you for your particular camshaft then you cannot just assume they are the correct spring to use. The 918's you are referring to were a bad batch made in mexico awhile back. The safe alternative is the PAC 1218's.
Yeah, if the piston is ok, I might go with LE's set of ported heads in a few months, but I'm definetaly nervous about using the same springs and then have another break again. Either way, I'm not driving the car for a few months, so that really sucks. And it makes me feel insecure about my own work. Since I did all the work, I'm nervous to do it again because I thought I installed things correctly and I did my homework matching the right valvetrain components together. I called bullet racing cams and they told me the vs2700's were what I would need for the cam I was installing.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To tell you the truth you may have had one little issue. It may not have been anything you could have prevented, it may have been something that even an experienced builder would have had an issue with. I'm putting money on the spring, and you can't always tell if you've got some or one bad one.....As the old saying goes......Sh*t happens. Don't be afraid to do it again, that'll only cost you more

Quick Reply: Update on cc503 cam swap...bad news...