LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What do you think of the portwork on these heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think someone ruined a perfectly designed head. I remember when I was like ten and thought about grinding on the cylinder/head on my little dirt bike but new it would not flow properly!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
CNC has two key advantages accuracy/repeatability and freeing up the operator to do something else while the machine runs.

If you have to stand there and babysit because the port was already hacked up then you lose one of those advantages and should charge MORE to do it. With stock castings being so readily available the smart thing to do would be to just get a virgin set of castings. Besides, they could already have had meterial removed where a porter wants it left.

I run a wood CNC, not exactly the same as metal but still gives me a good idea of what CNC is and is not good for.
I ran a cnc lathe and mill for awhile. I will agree with you on material being removed that some would like left.

CNC is great for consistant reproduction. BUT most CNC machines do need to have an operator stand by at the start of operations to get the machine homed in on the right position and operating within your tolerance, Tool wear, temperature, and how long the machine has ran has an affect on these. Especially older machines.

Anyhow that is beside the point. I have seen these heads in person, to me the bowl area has only been polished, and the start of the intake runner has been flubbed up, but is still saveable.

Honestly matt I would just go ahead and switch valve springs from your other set of heads on to these and run these since they are true, and send off your other set eventually for porting since they have only been touched an inch or so into the runner.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why don't you have them tested on a flow bench? Then you'll know what you're dealing with.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Speedy
Why don't you have them tested on a flow bench? Then you'll know what you're dealing with.
exactly..thats what i said earlier..no more guessing on how good or bad they look lol. depending on where u are its like 50 bucks to get a set flowed.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Flowbench can be a useful tool but is NOT the measure of a head.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Launching!

well since they are messed with id also look into seeing what the volume of the port is now. make sure they are even.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I could do a better port job. looking at the pictures the ports don't even look that straight..
Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So true. A flowbench along with a dyno are nothing more than a measuring stick. Just because a head flowed good on the bench doesnt mean its worthy of big power. Its not uncommen to gain 10 CFM on the bench and lose 15 HP on the dyno. The numbers gathered from a flowbench arent the only thing needed to make a great flowing set of heads. A good head porter also uses their ears to tell whats going on in the port while on the flowbench. It not all about quantity of airflow, the quality of airflow is just as important.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It won't tell him everything but it's better than knowing nothing, which is where he is at right now. He can also have the heads probed to tell where the flow problems are.

Quick Reply: What do you think of the portwork on these heads?