LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti gurus, need some assistance please

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Opti gurus, need some assistance please

After an oil leak from the water pump drive shaft seal at the timing cover caused some oil to seep into the opti, my car started to sputter like crazy. I brought it home and took it apart, dismantled the opti and found some oil inside it (it entered from the splined shaft's seal and into the back of the opti). I cleaned the whole assembly with contact cleaner, got rid of all the oil, put it back together and sealed it up. I even loctite the cap screws.

I replaced the timing cover seals again to avoid this happening in future and put it back together.

Crank....crank...crank...no start? I replaced the wires and put in Taylors (the old ones had a good time being burned from the headers).

Still no start. I checked that I had spark out of each wire, the fuel tank is full (I had filled it up before it finally gave up). I hear the fuel pump prime, and its running when I crank. I might check the fuel pressure if I can get a hold of a gauge.

I hooked up my laptop, did a scan with FreeScan and DataMaster and got no codes. Of course it won't run so thats why I couldn't get any.

Its fair to mention that before it had died, the sputtering only started to go on when it got rainy here, and one day going to work at night, I drove into a deep puddle (thanks to my company for the **** lighting at the car parks).

I rechecked the timing 3 times, and no wires are crossed.

I have a feeling its time to go EFI 24x.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you thought about replacing the opti? "Cleaning" it won't help most of the time - at that point, the damage to the optical sensor is done.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:41 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Have you thought about replacing the opti? "Cleaning" it won't help most of the time - at that point, the damage to the optical sensor is done.
When I took it apart it didn't have that much oil in it, but like you said it could have been just enough to have destroyed the optical sensor.

I think it might be time to contact the guys at EFI Connections.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADM
When I took it apart it didn't have that much oil in it, but like you said it could have been just enough to have destroyed the optical sensor.

I think it might be time to contact the guys at EFI Connections.

Call Mike. Very friendly and helpful guy. I just got everything from EFI connection minus the wiring harness and LS2 coils/wire harness. This is some high quality stuff. Too bad the majority of it is hidden.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

I would love to call him, but seeing as I live on the other side of the globe, it would cost me a fortune to have a phone conversation with him.

I am ordering only the harness, crank key and the reluctor kit. LS2 coils I am sourcing myself, along with the PCM and timing cover.

I would get the DIY and save money, but my harness has seen better days.

Will shoot him an e-mail later, of course I expect a months wait to get my harness, but I am sure it will be worth it.