LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Impala SS guys/Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala SS guys/Headers

any of you impala guys have any experience with headman long tubes? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HE...SS&prefilter=1
Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well to be honest no. Some might chime in after I post this but these are my recommended long tubes. Clear Image Automotive makes them, they are full length, ceramic coated, tri-y's. I bought mine in '02 and have driven the $hit out of my car, (cross country, Power Tour, and to and from Tenn/Ga. from Texas), not a single problem and they polish back up well (with Ceramachrome coating) and thick flanges. They have gone down actually in price since I bought them. I don't know about now but they were warrantied for the lifetime of use before. I love them! Alot of guys over on impala super store . com forums have had experinces with the ones you mentioned and suggested the CIA tri-y's to me a long time ago. I have no affiliation with them other than a customer.

-SS

Last edited by hotrodscrap; 06-26-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not aware of anyone who actually tried those Hedmanns yet. If you try them please let us know how it goes. Be aware too the coating is necessary on mild steel headers not only for rust protection but to keep the AC and ABS lines cool.

In my climate(and your's) Ceramachrome failed so my current headers are from Focuztech and are 304 stainless. Cost more upfront BUT there is no coating to fail, the stainless radiates less heat(than uncoated mild) and wont rust so it is a LOT like having mild steel coated with a coating that lasts.

Just put a .com behind Focuztech, I followed forum rules and did not place a link for a non-sponsor. I have bought headers from the company the other guy linked too and Focuztech is the one that will have my continued business and recommendation.

The Tri-Y design is fine but to be honest it is bench racing that makes them the most popular for the b-bodies not any real result.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

i wanna try these headmans out and see how they do, they are a nice price and i will probably wrap them to kill some of the heat, i store my car thru the winter so hopefully i don't have any problems with rust or anything. i will also check out the other site you guys have informed me of, thanks!!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll second what 96Capricemgr said about the coatings on the clearimage headers. Even though they warranty the coating, it's a PITA to R&R and send them to CA. I've done it once; so two different coatings, 2nd one Cermachrome, and both failed to keep the rust spots from coming through. For function and performance I cannot fault them though. I don't agree with the "bench racing" comment about the Tri-Y's though. I would have said the same thing if it were not for some pretty convincing tests and data that a former B-body enthusiast conducted comparing the then-current offerings from clearimage. For rpms seen on the street and for mild strip setups, the Tri-Y's beat out both the 1-5/8 and 1-3/4 conventional longtube designs.
I'm still running the 1-5/8 Tri-Y's with the heads/cam setup, but realize that I'm now past the "mild strip setup" powerband range and would probably benefit from 1-3/4 longtubes.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
i wanna try these headmans out and see how they do, they are a nice price and i will probably wrap them to kill some of the heat, i store my car thru the winter so hopefully i don't have any problems with rust or anything. i will also check out the other site you guys have informed me of, thanks!!

Wrap is a VERY BAD thing, ceramic coatings or stainless headers PERIOD.

Header manufacturers generally void the warranty when you wrap headers because it traps the heat around the primary as much as in it and just burns them up. Besides the wick effect if oil gets on them, it makes oil easier to light.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for the non-sponser link, corrected. Gl, with your decision.

-SS

Quick Reply: Impala SS guys/Headers