LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

loud banging sound under the car??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. ill get under the car monday and take a look. I just left RamAir95TA's house and he believes as well that it is torque arm related.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take the hammer away from the midget and kick him out. J/K I'm going with motor mount, sounds just like what happened to me before my new mounts.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twokss
Thanks for the input guys. ill get under the car monday and take a look. I just left RamAir95TA's house and he believes as well that it is torque arm related.
Joe and I talked about this today and I agree with what his idea was...I'm curious as to exactly how/what broke or is loose, though.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
Joe and I talked about this today and I agree with what his idea was...I'm curious as to exactly how/what broke or is loose, though.
hey man. joe told me all about your car last night. sounds like an awesome build!!

Anyway...I got underneath the car real quick before it started raining again and noticed that the driver side cat (car has a 3in catted y on it) was resting on the torque arm mount. Joe and I are pretty sure that if i throw an off road y on it the noise should hopefully be gone.

On a side note....the car is relatively clean underneath. I mean it has its grime from small leaks like any car, but i come from a DSM back ground so this is quite pleasant compared to what im used to! lol Also I was planning on throwing my Ls1 driveshaft on it but to my surprise it already has one.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

the problem is my exhaust. Every part of my exhaust hits something. the catback hits the gas tank and the panhard mount, and the ypipe that i just bought that i thought would solve this problem hits the floor on the driver side and passenger. any suggestions for a new exhaust setup? I dont even want to look at the car till its fixed.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Sorry man I mean the shifter. However where you are an auto it won't move anyway. I think you will just have to take it out and make sure it is ok. One of the bolts may have come loose or it might have some other issue. I have never used a poly mount, but when my mount went bad once it caused the tranny to hit the tunnel. My mount actually ripped in half. I suppose you could look and see if there are signs of contact in the tunnel. BlackGTO might be right too. Think is if it moves that much you will leak fluid too as it will damage the little rubber seal where the driveline goes in. (whatever that is called?)
The automatic shifter will in fact move when a tranny mount is torn/broken. It "bumps" when the car shifts.

The best way to check the tranny mount is to have somebody look underneath the car while you're in it, and push firmly on the brake, and then "begin" to powerbrake it and load up the drivetrain. If the Tranny mount is broken, you will see it seperate from the crossmember/ in half.

If you haven't done this already, I'd start with this.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

The problem is my exhaust. I have a poly trans mount
Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I see, I'm glad you figured it out. Another question, why do you want to get rid of your K&N cai?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

It's a daily driver for the time being and I'm not to fond of my air filter being exposed under the car.

And I'm glad that I found the noise as well but I just don't know how to fix it with out getting a whole new exhaust. But if I do some how come up with the cash I'd like to get lpp longtubes, lpp y pipe, and a hooker catback.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

PM sent about a stock air intake
Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you can, pull of the exhaust and wrap it with exhaust wrap and that might help with the impact on the floor. I had similar problems with my pacesetter setup just because that is the way it is designed. Also, just because you have a poly trans mount doesn't mean that it can't be broken, ask me how I know haha

but anyways if you can go to someplace like autozone some exhaust wrap might help
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

the solution is poly motor mounts. Believe me
Old 01-30-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1eyedmaro
the solution is poly motor mounts. Believe me
I could be dumb but I can't seem to fina anyone that sells them. Could u send me a link? What's involved in the install?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twokss
I could be dumb but I can't seem to fina anyone that sells them. Could u send me a link? What's involved in the install?
everybody sells them, the install is tedious but is well worth it. Car will vibrate more but with that the whole car will fell more stable and in control as with every polyurethane part.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-7-508/
Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The automatic shifter will in fact move when a tranny mount is torn/broken. It "bumps" when the car shifts.

You may feel the vibration of the Tranny hittin the body through the Shifter..but it doesn't move..it's pretty damn secured..lol
I know this cause I have broken a couple of Tranny Mounts when I was Auto..I've never had a T/A bolted on the Tailshaft with the T56 setup to ever worry about it.

If you are moving the Auto Shifter without your hand then you either have some major problems or a good jedi mindtrick..

Originally Posted by 1eyedmaro
Car will vibrate more..
Not when you have a Balanced Engine..it's pretty damn smooth..

I have Poly Mounts in mine..they are nice..a bitch to install too..lol

I have quite a few things in the Car that are Poly Mounts..Engine, Tranny, Torqe Arm Mount, LCA's, and Sway Bar End Links. The Front LCA's & UCA's, and Sway Bar Bracket Bushings are still stock. It's pretty solid.

Last edited by the_merv; 01-30-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by the_merv

You may feel the vibration of the Tranny hittin the body through the Shifter..but it doesn't move..it's pretty damn secured..lol
I know this cause I have broken a couple of Tranny Mounts when I was Auto..I've never had a T/A bolted on the Tailshaft with the T56 setup to ever worry about it.

If you are moving the Auto Shifter without your hand then you either have some major problems or a good jedi mindtrick..

I have quite a few things in the Car that are Poly Mounts..Engine, Tranny, Torqe Arm Mount, LCA's, and Sway Bar End Links. The Front LCA's & UCA's, and Sway Bar Bracket Bushings are still stock. It's pretty solid.
I geuss "move" is the wrong word for it-yur right. I've broken two in my A4 and you can definately feel it in the shift **** during shifts, thats all I was tryin to get at.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

yea my mount it fine and the trans shifts like perfect. I just wish my exhaust would fit better. id rather sacrifice ground clearance instead of having it hit my floor.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

i dont mean big vibrations, i mean you can feel the engines small vibrations more.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 AM
Launching!

I had the same problem with regular tranny mounts I went through 3 in 2 months and then got a poly trans mount and it stopped... so its either a broken or loose tranny mount or it could be the motor mount and when your car is torquing the engine moves up bringing the tranny up with it...

also check your piping from the headers collector and out if thats loose or wiggly then it could be that hitting the bottom of the board
Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SixShooterCam
I had the same problem with regular tranny mounts I went through 3 in 2 months and then got a poly trans mount and it stopped... so its either a broken or loose tranny mount or it could be the motor mount and when your car is torquing the engine moves up bringing the tranny up with it...

also check your piping from the headers collector and out if thats loose or wiggly then it could be that hitting the bottom of the board
He already figured out that it's the exhaust.

Kevin, when it warms up a bit we'll take a look at it.

Quick Reply: loud banging sound under the car??