LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Jack points for motor?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW......stop abusing the hooks on that chain.....sorry, but you're overloading the tip of the hook and are asking for a failure, which will drop that engine/trans/car on you or someone close to you. They're called grab hooks for a reason. You should be sliding a link in between the tip and the body of that hook. I know it's being petty and worrisome, but when you work in an industry that deals with chains and lifting heavy stuff, it's one safe point. I'd hate to hear about some poor kid in MD getting crushed because the tip of a hook broke while doing an engine overhaul. Take it as you will, but please use them properly.....bad things happen when you least expect them.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

connect chain to optispark........ problem solved.....
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duh
BTW......stop abusing the hooks on that chain.....sorry, but you're overloading the tip of the hook and are asking for a failure, which will drop that engine/trans/car on you or someone close to you. They're called grab hooks for a reason. You should be sliding a link in between the tip and the body of that hook. I know it's being petty and worrisome, but when you work in an industry that deals with chains and lifting heavy stuff, it's one safe point. I'd hate to hear about some poor kid in MD getting crushed because the tip of a hook broke while doing an engine overhaul. Take it as you will, but please use them properly.....bad things happen when you least expect them.

not to be a dick and maybe i could be wrong but looking at the pics it looks like hes just using the hook to hold up the excess. it doesnt look like there is any seroius weight held on the hook. but yes you are correct. im in the CG and do aton (aids to navigation) and we work with lifting heaving buoys and what not so yea thats a huge thing they harp on is where you lift and what you use to lift and all that. but he looks like he might be good
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I finally said something but if you look at the other thread when he was pulling it he was lifting the front of the car the same way.....I'm in the towing and recovery industry. Most of what I do involves putting loaded Semi trucks onto their wheels, so I take chain safety very highly. It's a lot like being a crane operator, only lower weights.....we only work with up to 150K lbs....give or take.

Just lookin out.....
Old 01-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Launching!

this look right?!?!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

well first of all, I would have used the end of the heads, like where the accessories mount, front and rear.....but i suppose the intake bolt holes should hold....should. I'd recommend switching it so you don't pull those threads out....

As for proper chain etiquette try replacing the aluminum plate with a hook and that's how it should be used so you don't break them.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duh
I finally said something but if you look at the other thread when he was pulling it he was lifting the front of the car the same way.....I'm in the towing and recovery industry. Most of what I do involves putting loaded Semi trucks onto their wheels, so I take chain safety very highly. It's a lot like being a crane operator, only lower weights.....we only work with up to 150K lbs....give or take.

Just lookin out.....
no no no i comepletely agree and untill i saw just the last couple pics he posted. and you were correct in stating this issue. i didnt see the other threads either. so i didnt know im sorry.

But yea boostedpower. man throw those hooks on a link. damn i wish i had some chain i could show you what we mean. "DUH" put a pretty good pic. see if you can mimic the way the chain is in that contraption instead of poking the hook tip through the link.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Launching!

okay so problem motor mount why will this not just slide out?!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Launching!

So I ended up lifting it really quickly and removed the K member and put the motor back on the dolly,

Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Removed the headers time for a little brake cleaner bath, heres how it looks now

but I have a new problem... the lines that run along the oil pan to the oil filter?! how do you remove this so you can get to the bolts that hold the pan (and the timing chain cover) in place.... heres a reference....

and here's a pic after a little bit of brake cleaner....
Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

remove the oil filter and you will see two bolts that go vertical....remove those and the cooler adapter and lines will come off
Old 01-27-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Make everything easier for yourself and get an engine stand their only like $50 and well worth the money that way that whole motor isnt swinging around on the hoist.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Launching!

need help! these lines wont come off, removed the oil filter!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Launching!

pictures on the way....
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Get the engine up on a stand.....when you look at the area that your now removed filter once occupied there should be a bolt or two. If you remove one or both of them (which ever there is, I can't remember off the top of my head) the cooler adapter should come right off.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

your hook is still wrong. not to sound bad but i just saw on the news last week some guy from NM got like trapped under a camaro and like a bunch of people lifted it off him. thats nothing with chains but just using proper precautions makes all the difference.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Still no engine stand?. DUDE....

Anyway, maybe this will help:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
oil cooler.pdf (199.1 KB, 135 views)

Quick Reply: Jack points for motor?!?!