LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

whont start help plz?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whont start help plz?

Ok i finish my 355, put every censor, all the hoses, it looks like a regular lt1 like if nothing was touch. The next day me and my friend ajust the rockers and we fire it up, it started with no problems. The next day i drove the car around the block and i notice it was over heading sou i put more water and called a day. The next day i fired it up whit no problems, i left it on for couple of seconds and then i shut it off. Then i trayd againd and it won't just start, it cranks but it whon't start, all the wires are brand new, but not the opt spark. Any ideas?

Thaks.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Teching In

checks ur grounds....
Old 01-31-2010, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

I dont think an opti would cause you to overheat. did you bleed your lines?

As for not starting, is it just cranking and cranking but not starting, is it sputtering but not running, or what?

Try this. Take a spark plug wire off and hold the end close to your header/manifold and have a friend turn the engine over....if a spark arcs to the manifold then its not ignition because if it was getting fuel and even a couple cylinders were firing it would still sputter a little. If there is NO arc, it could be your opti, your coil, or your PCM.

When you turn your key on (not turning it over, just on) do you hear the fuel pump? It should be a whine coming from the trunk area for about a second or two after you turn the key to the "ON" position...if you hear that then the pump is working. If you dont then your fuel pump may be out. If the pump IS working, check the filter to make sure its not clogged, etc.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 AM
12 Second Club

when I ask did you bleed you lines I mean your coolant lines...top and bottom radiator hoses. There are bleeder valves you have to open to get all the air out of the system. If you dont bleed them off you will have alot of overheating problems.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 AM
12 Second Club

Also man, no offense, but take some typing lessons...that was kindof hard to interpret lol. jk
Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What year and mods?

Just because a plug is firing doesn't mean it's firing at the right time, so you can't use that method.

First things first. You need to figure out why it overheated.

Also, check your fuel pressure. Often a spontaneous no-start condition can be cause by a bad fuel pump (fairly common). Pick up a fuel pressure gauge and run some simple diagnostics (do a search). Just because you can hear the pump does not mean it is putting out ample fuel pressure.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

I didnt necessarily mean that would be his only problem, it just eliminates the coil being out, the opti being dead, etc. If it sparks and the pump works, then he needs to move on to bigger problems like timing...I was starting with the little things that are easy to eliminate. If its just a coil then great...cheap fix.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Hey thanks for your help, i bleed my lines and problem fix

and about the staring problem i guess i have to get a pre tune, breack in the engine and then get a full tune, but anyways the car runs and starts good, thanks for your help bro

about my typing, i know i need typing lessons lol, i was one of those kid that never pay attention in school, but on cars diferent story. If it wasen't for my wife i wodent never walk the stage lol. Hows my typing on this reply? better? Hey thanks againd.

Quick Reply: whont start help plz?