LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worth the money?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

The stock one I have is in very bad shape so I was looking to get one of these. Now I have searched about the foil and have gotten mixed comments. So question is, is this worth the money?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks decent. i had one from summit on my car for about 6 months (3 of which the car was in the garage for winter) i replaced mine because after failing an emissions test i spent $100 to have the car diagnosed to find out the only problem was a tear in the bottom of the intake elbow where i couldn't see it. the new one was only there for a short time because i switched to ram air. had i known i would have found such a deal on the oem hood and oem airbox i would have kept the duct taped boot on there temporarily, lol. I paid ~ $80 for mine IIRC. here is a bad cell phone pic of mine installed. Mine didn't come with an air foil. A new oem elbow is about $100. i originally thought they were replacing a specific hose on my car and once i found out it was the elbow i told them to cancel the order and i'd get one from summitt.

I will make one suggestion about those elbows. they generally don't come with a hole for the opti vent hose since they are sold for 94-97 cars and 94's didn't have them. mine had directions for drilling a hole into the elbow and putting a grommitt into it to put the opti hose into. i used a very pointed object (i believe it was actually a meat thermometer) to poke a small hole into the silicon tube that goes between the elbow and the MAF and popped the opti vent in there. it was within an inch or so of where it would have been on the stock elbow and actually i think adding the ram air and putting it in the stock ram air bellow moved the tube more than adding the metal elbow did. you can see the blue hose i'm talking about in the pic.

I think i showed you how it looks now in your engine bay cleaning thread.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 02-14-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to get a Trick Flow elbow from summit. Like 1995 said...they are ~80 bucks for the one with the rubber sleeves/clams/etc but they should be worth it. I had one on my 97 Z28 before I wrecked it and it looked pretty good IMO.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had that exact kit from ebay. The quality was awsome. it came with everything you need. the only thing i had to do was trim the rubber's accordingly. Where else can you get an elbow and airfoil for that cheap??

Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

there nice for the price,and looks good friend of mine just got one of ebay.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default I have one

Once I got it on it was great. However I'd recommend fernco rubber housing to seal it around your throttle body and your MAF. The ones that kit comes with are CHEAP.

Last edited by Endersshadow; 02-17-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Worth the money?