LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 has no spark...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lt1 has no spark...

hoping for some people that know lt1s well...not all the people that point at the opti every time...

before i start throwing new parts at it...got a 95 z28 took motor out replaced oil pan intake rear main timing cover gaskets, now got the motor back in the car and have no fire...

got on all data and checked i have igniton at the icm amd ground but i dont have the 1-4 volt signal, it had .1-.3 volts

tried new icm it was easy, checked and ohm the opti harness from side of intake to opti...all is good icm didnt fix it

no spark going into the opti either(comming from coil)

NO CODES
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on man I thought you were one of the resident genius'?

I have posted a LT1 no start diagnostic a hundred times, do a search for it. It is really good.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...p?showtopic=78

Only because I have it bookmarked.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, my car...

Oh btw, I tried to get some codes checked on it before, but for some reason the reader couldn't find anything good or bad, not even showing like it was hooked up right.

But that was some chick at autozone who probably didn't know much.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by happysem
Haha, my car...

Oh btw, I tried to get some codes checked on it before, but for some reason the reader couldn't find anything good or bad, not even showing like it was hooked up right.

But that was some chick at autozone who probably didn't know much.
im sorry its taking so long...thats a good writeup, ive got a few wires i havent checked...ill do that tomaro...i just find it hard to believe that i barely touched it and it went bad
Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

got it figured out guys...the opti harness was repaired i suppose at one time and the harness was built backwards...abcd on the opti wasn dcba instead...so when i plugged it back in on the side of the intake i plugged it in right and the wouldent fire...whoever did this before fixed their mistake by plugging the side of the intake in backwards...so i copied them and all is good...

i firugred this out by checking the injectors and they had 12v at the non pink wire all the time...then went to look at the opti and it had everything mixed up...thanks for the help guys...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Resurrection from the dead! This is my problem exactly. 4 year Jeep project and finally trying to get the LT1 started. I have positive constant voltage on both injector wires as well. I hope this is it as I do not want to get into the opti. I already replaced it with an MSD before installing engine and was (still am) afraid I did not do that correctly. One odd thing was the harness had another plug which stepped down in size before the oem opti. I removed this smaller plug harness because the MSD opti has a larger plug size but did not pay attention to the wires. Not sure if I still have that plug but at least I have something to look into tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 PM

I have a 97 ws6 lt1 with ignition problems.....I've replaced the crank trigger, the ignition module, the coil and distributor and I still have no spark...I've tore column apart checked the vats which appear to be fine also....What else could it be.....
Old 11-06-2014, 04:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

97ws6, start a new thread, outline the symptoms, the exact parts replaced, all checks you've done so far.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 PM

help I have a 1997 camaro it has the LT1 had to put in new ecm or ecu and wire harness got car with no trans in it and had a auto trans now i have no start with no spark new coil and new optispark still no spark w came from same car and year hat could it be now also put in new LT1 in it did i miss something on the car the ecu and from harness came from same car and year same engen all the same so what could it be now please help thanks len
Old 10-25-2017, 10:14 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1997camaro no spark
help I have a 1997 camaro it has the LT1 had to put in new ecm or ecu and wire harness got car with no trans in it and had a auto trans now i have no start with no spark new coil and new optispark still no spark w came from same car and year hat could it be now also put in new LT1 in it did i miss something on the car the ecu and from harness came from same car and year same engen all the same so what could it be now please help thanks len
You should start a new thread.

If you still have your old opti spark you can plug that in and set it on top of the radiator. Then you MUST disable the fuel pump(unplug the connector on the back of the car near the fuel pump). When you spin the opti drive it will fire the injectors and if you have a plug wire off and grounded to the block it will show you when/if the spark plug fires.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 08-04-2018, 03:37 PM

Default 2002 Firebird 3800 no spark fix

I have a 2002 Firebird with the 3800 series 2 engine that cold cranked before starting. Just recently my wife was backing out of the driveway and the car died. The car had a reduced engine light on that I had never seen before. I pulled a plug wire and put a spark plug into it to test for spark there was nothing, I also tried plugging into other coil packs still no spark. I then thought I would remove the 3 coil packs to get to the ECM ( Engine Controll Module) that is located under the coil packs, the coil packs bolt onto it, (make sure you mark each plugwire with the firing order on each coiI).brought the ECM to Autozone and they tested it and it came back good. I put it all back together and still no spark. I then pulled the camshaft pulley to replace the Camshaft Sensor put the car back together and no spark, I then reset the computer by disconnecting the negative post on my battery and let the car sit overnight to reset the computer. The next day after researching what could be wrong , I learned that I had to reset / relearn the computer. I hooked the battery back up and went in the car and turned the key to auxiliary and waited two full minutes, then turn the key back and take the key out of the ignition and wait 10 seconds, then try starting your car, this allows time for your computer to scan everything (Mine started right up). Important if your car does start Do not rev your engine or kick it down right away when driving or it could affect your gas mileage( The computer is relearning you car during your first few drives, If still no spark check the connections to your computer for corrosion , my computer is on the passenger side by the firewall under the hood. If there is any green on the connections you can spray clean it with (electrical cleaner Only) from the parts store, you can also do a odor test on the computer to see if it smells like Something fried out. you will have to make sure you mark where all the wiring harnesses plug back in, and do the battery ignition key thing all over again. Hope this helps. Also if there is a security anti theft light on that would prevent spark and you can YouTube on how to bypass it with a wire. (I am no professional mechanic just a good do it yourselfer).

Last edited by Shane Schminkey; 08-04-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Quick Reply: lt1 has no spark...