LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trick Flow/383 Build/T56 Swap+PICS & NUMBERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New compstar and callies products.... brings back memories lol.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the shifter hole, I used the shifter boot. I didn't even bother mocking up the tranny. If you google for pics of tranny tunnels on stock M6 cars, you can get an idea for where it goes in relation to everything else. I used a dremel for mine (took forever, but came out nice).

For the master cylinder hole, you don't need the hydraulics. The template is already there. You'll see that piece of plastic on the firewall already dimpled, just cut it out. When you mock up the pedals, the holes for the MC u-bolt are already there. Mark the centers with a punch or something.

Now, measure between those two points, and that's the center for the MC hole. Then, drill away. I used a 1-3/4" hole saw, and it fit perfect.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bombebomb
New compstar and callies products.... brings back memories lol.
if you got a set of heads for yours you would be flying! I told myself that I didn't want to go faster than 11.50's because I don't want to install a cage but if you are running low 12s with a good bottom end and stock heads with no stall I think I will be pretty close if not faster than 11.50s slipping the clutch off the line and granny shifiting
Old 03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
It is a small cam but it is an emissions legal street car that may see the track twice a year. It made good power on the stock shortblock and it also made the throttle response very snappy so I think it will be a good fit, make good power, and have close to stock drivability with alot more torque
def talk to LE/AI these guys grind emissions friendly cams for max power all day, remember a 383 will eat up a cam that might've been ok for a 350 this includes characteristics and emissions.

no reason to just throw a bunch of parts at a build and leave the "what-if's" imo
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myltwon
def talk to LE/AI these guys grind emissions friendly cams for max power all day, remember a 383 will eat up a cam that might've been ok for a 350 this includes characteristics and emissions.

no reason to just throw a bunch of parts at a build and leave the "what-if's" imo
hmmm what makes you think that I am just throwing a bunch of parts at a build?? FYI, I have spoken to everyone that holds any merit in the LT1 community in regards to this build. I talked to LE at length about camshaft selection and believe it or not he has nothing but good things to say about the Voodoo series of cams. When asked how much of a difference his custom grind emissions cam would have over the Lunati cam that I already have his response was "minimal, maybe 6-8 horsepower up top" that is not worth the price of a new cam if you ask me. If I didn't already have the cam I might have gone the custom route but there aren't as many available options when you are confined to a sniffer test so for my application a "good" off the shelf cam is just fine

Last edited by JB_97ws6TA; 03-25-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

hmmm what makes you think that I am just throwing a bunch of parts at a build?? FYI, I have spoken to everyone that holds any merit in the LT1 community in regards to this build. I talked to LE at length about camshaft selection and believe it or not he has nothing but good things to say about the Voodoo series of cams. When asked how much of a difference his custom grind emissions cam would have over the Lunati cam that I already have his response was "minimal, maybe 6-8 horsepower up top" that is not worth the price of a new cam if you ask me. If I didn't already have the cam I might have gone the custom route but there aren't as many available options when you are confined to a sniffer test so for my application a "good" off the shelf cam is just fine
are the trickflows ported?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

no I am running them as cast
Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

this would lead me to call the build somewhat throwing parts together. an off the shelf cam designed for stock heads/cubes and rough off the shelf heads untouched.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess we will have to wait and see, I am "throwing" the motor back in this weekend and after a little bit of break in on a mail order I am heading up to have it dyno tuned and if all goes as planned you will be eating your words by next weekend. I don't feel I have to spend 3000 dollars on heads or 350 on a custom cam that would net me a couple degrees of duration and a few hundredths lift to build a good motor. This isn't a race car nor is it a max effort build, this is a stout street motor and it is all I intended. I built it to be fun on the street have close to stock drivability and break into the 11's. I think this motor is more than capable of that
Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

I guess we will have to wait and see, I am "throwing" the motor back in this weekend and after a little bit of break in on a mail order I am heading up to have it dyno tuned and if all goes as planned you will be eating your words by next weekend. I don't feel I have to spend 3000 dollars on heads or 350 on a custom cam that would net me a couple degrees of duration and a few hundredths lift to build a good motor. This isn't a race car nor is it a max effort build, this is a stout street motor and it is all I intended. I built it to be fun on the street have close to stock drivability and break into the 11's. I think this motor is more than capable of that
3000 dollars on heads? 350 on a custom cam? I just ported my stockers for $400 through a local shop and bought an LE custom grind for $300 shipped, hardly a big budget build. My ported intake, heads, and custom cam cost less than your cylinder heads. I'm not trying to dog on your build or say it's going to be a turd, but for the decent amount of time I've been in the LT1 community I've seen tons of people haphazardly simply point at things in a summit catalog (not trying to say this is what you did, just explaining an example of what commonly occurs in the LT1 community). They end up spending much more than budget builds similar my own and get less impressive results.

I was only trying to put in my 2 cents that benefits could be obtained from a few things here or there. Nothing worse than spending a bunch of money to put together a combo and being left with "what if's". You might be perfectly satisfied with what your combo acheives or you might not, this I cannot say for certain. Sorry if I came off as condescending btw.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this would lead me to call the build somewhat throwing parts together. an off the shelf cam designed for stock heads/cubes and rough off the shelf heads untouched.
these heads with a LE custom grind have already made as much power out of the box as an LE2 ported and re-valved head for another member. The benifit of these heads are they cost the same once you buy the cam as an LE2 head and cam, They have the bigger valves like the LE heads and have room to be flowed and ported in the future. When the machine shops figure out how to work them to get the power out of them they will just be another LT1 preformance head on the market which means we have selection to do different setups. It's 21deg V's 23deg stock and other aftermarket heads If there is enough room when people figure out how to port them they should be making really good power out these things.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

that's good to hear, I've been out of the LT1 forums for a little while and hadn't seen any real world results. h/c swaps aren't small jobs so I was simply suggesting while it's all apart to possibly look into a few things so there would never be a need later down the road to tear into your motor, get it retuned, etc. unless you decided to go a complete different direction.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

that's good to hear, I've been out of the LT1 forums for a little while and hadn't seen any real world results. h/c swaps aren't small jobs so I was simply suggesting while it's all apart to possibly look into a few things so there would never be a need later down the road to tear into your motor, get it retuned, etc. unless you decided to go a complete different direction.
Yea I hear ya about not being a small job. It's all the little stuff that adds up. I just did a 383 LE2 head and cam build and out of no where my master Brake cylider started pissing fluid out the back next to the booster. Must be all that new found power, it just could handle it lol. Hey I just realized that you live in Palm Harbor. I live up the raod in Tarpon Springs, Holiday area. lol small world.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Red face

Trust me I kow how big of a job this is The trickflows have a little bit bigger valves than the LE2, Lloyd installs 2.00, 1.56 ad these are 2.02, 1.6 and they flow pretty close to the same numbers. I am heading up to the shop at 10 to pick up the motor and flywheel. I got the clutch hydraulics installed last night as well as reassembled my intake manifold with the new throttle body. Hopefully I can have it buttoned up this weekend but I am still waiting for a tune and my injectors to get serviced and flow matched.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Trust me I kow how big of a job this is The trickflows have a little bit bigger valves than the LE2, Lloyd installs 2.00, 1.56 ad these are 2.02, 1.6 and they flow pretty close to the same numbers. I am heading up to the shop at 10 to pick up the motor and flywheel. I got the clutch hydraulics installed last night as well as reassembled my intake manifold with the new throttle body. Hopefully I can have it buttoned up this weekend but I am still waiting for a tune and my injectors to get serviced and flow matched.
How much does that cost to have the injectors flow matched?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

anywhere for 17 to 20 dollars per injector. I bought a set of used 42# SVOs and I would hate to take a chance on a bum injector leaning out my brand new motor so I figured it is cheap insurance
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Yea I hear ya about not being a small job. It's all the little stuff that adds up. I just did a 383 LE2 head and cam build and out of no where my master Brake cylider started pissing fluid out the back next to the booster. Must be all that new found power, it just could handle it lol. Hey I just realized that you live in Palm Harbor. I live up the raod in Tarpon Springs, Holiday area. lol small world.
ha nice, I'm literally on the Tarpon/Palm Harbor border, off alt 19

you should go to the site mafia-motorsports.com, tons of local fbody guys on there. we're doing a big cruise tomorrow morning and do cruises ever sunday night with some "spirited driving"
Old 03-27-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

anywhere for 17 to 20 dollars per injector. I bought a set of used 42# SVOs and I would hate to take a chance on a bum injector leaning out my brand new motor so I figured it is cheap insurance
Where is a good place to get injectors flow matched?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/

they are a sponsor on here. Never tried them, but it doesn't hurt to ask questions.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Almost time to stuff this turkey

I have a little more tinkering to do as in go back over everything to make sure that nothing was missed then I should be installing it within the next couple of days

Quick Reply: Trick Flow/383 Build/T56 Swap+PICS & NUMBERS