LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I hate my LT1.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by LT1
What's the spark plug gaped at? im leaning towards a spark plug problem, but it could be other things too.

You said your getting about 13mpg, that shows the PCM is compensating for something by dumping a lot of fuel.
I agree; anything that can be fouled by lots of excess fuel (plugs, O2s). Sounds like you've encountered a self-propogating rich condition.

Yes, the O2s can be electrically fine, but if they're gummed over with fuel residues from low temp/ incomplete fuel burn they won't sense properly. Then the PCM responds by dumping even more fuel.

Pull a few plugs and see how they look. If you've lost the puck on a few the gap will be too wide and will explain a lot. If changing those doesn't help. look at the O2s.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raging fury
i smell a bad pcm...
kinda what i am thinking too.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
kinda what i am thinking too.
He tried that with the same result, unfortunately:

"Checked:
tried swapping PCM for another, no change..."
Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad pcm's aren't very common and typically end up with a component that simply doesn't work or phantom fault codes. do you have an after market throttle body? could explain the ses light on at wot only. or tps failing either way it'd be the same fault, but shouldn't flicker, it should stay on then turn off. with your entire instrument panel behaving like this, ground is the only answer, there are many to check. as far as the bad running, i was down at 8-10 mpg before a simple spark plug change and 2 seafoam treatments regained 7 mpg's, it'd only been 2 years since the last treatment (but a bunch of racing too). no need to go fancy iridiums, if the gap isn't the 0.055" required the car will NOT run properly. i also wouldn't really suspect the injectors unless you're in the habit of running cheap gas, letting it sit for months before driving, and simply not driving it like an f-body. simple check to see if each individual injector is firing, hold a small screwdriver close, the magnetic field should draw the tool in. this will tell you if the solenoid is firing, pull them out and check the nozzles for carbon build-up and clean accordingly. you may have to re o-ring them before reinstalling them , however, and put a little petroleum jelly on each o-ring and clean the injector bore before reinstalling. fuel regulator is a simple check, check vacuum as well, cheap gauges work well. erratic signal says you have a leak, steady signal says you don't, should be 18-22". also, get some aeresol maf cleaner, clean the sensor but don't touch it.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by xDaytona955
Constant Issues.

...exhaust smells kind of foul.

Describe the foul smell- sulphury like eggs, burnt matches or does it smell sweet, both, or other?

...Spent hours and hours googling the forums, nearly every post with my symptoms has lots of talk but abandoned before a solution is posted.

We won't give up on you...

...I have never liked the LT1 and got a '99 LS1 (which runs perfect). At this point I am wanting to junk the '95 (I don't hate anyone enough to sell it to them) but the wife has an emotional attachment to the car so that options out.

When you fix it you'll be proud and very pleased
Have you had a chance to pull a couple plugs yet? Can you get under it to unbolt the cats and see if they're clogged or smell like unburnt gas?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Teching In

I pulled the hose off the FPR while the car was running, no leaks so I guess its good. I could hear the RPMS go up when I unplugged it which is expected from what I have read.

Stock TB, and i did take it out and clean it real good, I also cleaned the MAF with the proper electrical cleaner.

No cats, so their not clogged

The smell is foul, maybe like rotton eggs like one poster said. hard to describe, doesn't smell like unburnt gas

the gap on the iridiums was set right, I remember I had to get a wirestyle gap tool so i wouldn't break the iridum tips

I got some standard NGKs and I will try to swap them in over the weekend.

As far as the ECU, when I did the swap, I kept my LT4 knock module. I wonder if that is bad, I'll try putting my LT1 KM back in to see if it makes a difference. I originally suspected the ECU because the live data log output would pause every time the engine stumbled...

Thanks to all that have posted suggestions! I promise I will post my final fix when I find it
Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

change the fuel pump! my brothers car did the same thing you are mentioning. unless you can tape a maek shift gauge to your wiper arm and watch in under load, i am not sure you will be able to tell if pressure is dropping off.

my brother had a near new opti, and it **** the bed shortly after 6 months of driving.

it is unfortunate there can be a number of things to look for. lots of good ideas thrown around here though.

g'luck with it!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Update:

Took a plug out from each bank, looked perfect. No fouling or carbon on the insulator or conductor. The rim had a little carbon on it but I would expect that from a car running rich.

I noticed a 1/2" tear in the intake elbow, so some unmetered air was getting in. As a temp measure I glued the hole shut, no change.

I disconnected the MAF and the car is running great! As I understand it, this makes the car run off the MAP sensor as a backup. The car would occasionally stall while waiting for a light because the idle was rough. But never during takeoff like it was. 90% improvement. So I guess the issue may be a bad MAF or the MAF plug on the engine harness.

Any thoughts? If unplugging MAF mostly fixes the problem can that indicate any other issues other than the MAF itself?

Brian
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

mine was doing some of the same stuff when i first got it, running rich. had to change the o2s and got it tuned. afterwards it started acting up again and the maf had to be changed.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Update:

Took a plug out from each bank, looked perfect. No fouling or carbon on the insulator or conductor. The rim had a little carbon on it but I would expect that from a car running rich.

I noticed a 1/2" tear in the intake elbow, so some unmetered air was getting in. As a temp measure I glued the hole shut, no change.

I disconnected the MAF and the car is running great! As I understand it, this makes the car run off the MAP sensor as a backup. The car would occasionally stall while waiting for a light because the idle was rough. But never during takeoff like it was. 90% improvement. So I guess the issue may be a bad MAF or the MAF plug on the engine harness.

Any thoughts? If unplugging MAF mostly fixes the problem can that indicate any other issues other than the MAF itself?

Brian
I was just going to post Id bet its 100% the MAF went bad and to unplug it. I have had it happen to 3 cars and everytime it was the MAF. Glad you found it!!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

man im having the same problems, i tried unplugging the MAF but it runs even shittier, so i know thats not the problem. But im glad you found your issue. But probably your MAF is dead or maybe the plug to it.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Does anyone know if the MAF is the same for LS1 and LT1 cars? I would like to try the MAF out of my LS1 car to see if it solves the issue..
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Hears something else you can try my car was doing some of the things your was and I was told to check for vacum leak check for vacum leaks I did over and over. Check the EGR valve. you would be surprised what it will do to the idle when it sticks open and closed. most people dont realize that the EGR is vacum to.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Does anyone know if the MAF is the same for LS1 and LT1 cars? I would like to try the MAF out of my LS1 car to see if it solves the issue..
Someone we trust here has answered this exact question recently on another forum:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show....php?p=6282086

(yes )
Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Ok, its been a couple days with the MAF swapped from my LS1.

Oddly, both cars are running great?! If the MAF was bad, I would think that the LS1 car would now be running shitty..

Maybe its the MAF connector, or the IAT since I had to unplug it and replug it when I swapped the MAF..
Old 03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Check your ICM wiring harness. It seems that I remember reading about someone have a mysterious problem like yours and that was the answer.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Update:

running like crap again. I picked up a fuel pressure gauge and taped it to the windshield.

Key on, engine off: 38psi
Key on, engine on, FPR vacuum unplugged: 43.5psi
Idling: 31psi
WOT:40psi, but then starts falling as the rpms climb, as engine starts popping near redline the needle is twitching +-3psi

This sounds like a bad pump? Would a bad FPR do this? I pulled the vacuum line and there is no leaking gas

Last edited by xDaytona955; 03-20-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: I hate my LT1.