LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hypertech or PCMforless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DDWWBBMM- can't advise you on clear image as im not familiar w/ them but I would take 96caprice's advice. avoid all aftermarket MAF's! waste of $ that will just make your car run worse and hard to tune. same goes for an aftermarket throttle body, its not needed yet and wont help. get a CAI(cold air intake), do full exhaust and get a tune, chips aren't needed as '94+ LT1's, you just simply reflash the pcm. the good tuners have already been mentioned but Ion is the cheapest www.madtuner.com
and def post here before doing any other mods as we just saved you a headache and some $
Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 AM

Z-speedfreak and 96Caprice - thanks for your insight and advice: I'll follow it. I'll add either a dynomax or RealTruck (just found their site) catback exhaust, a K&N cold air intake, and I've written to MadTuner to ask how much his "flash" helps - he said up to 14 HWP at full throttle, 1-2 mpg improvement on the street, lower summer temps, and since I have two '96 Impalas, I'm hoping MadTuner says I can use one program on both cars.

I'll save further upgrades such as headers for when/if my engine ever needs to be rebuilt or replaced - it's never missed a beat for 170,000 smooth miles, but when the time comes, I'll post for advice, unless someone thinks that making some changes such in the rocker arms/camshaft/pistons/rings makes such a difference in driving pleasure on the street that it's worth doing it now even before it's needed.

Thanks again,

DDWWBBMM
Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Teching In

I used to have a LS1 Corvette with cold air intake, headers, 4.10 and catback. No Cats. I had a diablo tuner and it was crap. Only worked with the fans and disabling the skip shift. The performance tune made my car slower and it ran richer. Untuned with these boltons it ran 12.7@109mph. With a proper tune like HP tuners, could it do better? yes? How much better? I don"t know.

Now i am in the same boat again. Just got a Firebird with LT1 engine. Basically puttin on the same bolt ons CAI, headers, catback and 4.10. Should i sent out the ECM for tuning? Will i get significant improvement? I live outside the USA, so shipping it back and forth could be a tad expensive. Just seeing if it is worth it?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 PM

Jancorvette,

You might want to write to "Madtuner" http://www.madtuner.com/index.php?op...id=3&Itemid=32 and ask how much performance improvement he could supply with his software - you wouldn't have to ship anything except the cable he sends you. He told me 14 RWHP for my Impala SS with an LT1, but that's at full throttle using premium fuel, which I don't use, and a 1-2 mpg increase, so you'll have to decide if it's "worth it." You can reference my note here.

ddwwbbmm

Quick Reply: Hypertech or PCMforless?