LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how to check used optispark?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to check used optispark?

my 94 has had a miss, then after leaking some coolant quit running. i have replaced, plugs, fuel filter, wires. spark from cap, did have spark at plugs but as of lately dont even have that. have a used opti i bought from a member here. is there anything i need to do or check before i put it on. its a 94 car and a 93 opti both non-vented. thanks in advance. im trying to put the car together tmrw while the weather is nice.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

fill the opti with water through the vent hole on the bottom. plug it into the wiring harness and coil, turn the ignition on and spin the rotor while ur holding it. if it shocked you before u spun it, its bad. if it shocks u while its spinning, its good
Old 02-27-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take the cap off and look for carbon tracking, rust build-up (dust), and worn electrodes. Also loc-tite the rotor screws.

Originally Posted by ElkySS
fill the opti with water through the vent hole on the bottom. plug it into the wiring harness and coil, turn the ignition on and spin the rotor while ur holding it. if it shocked you before u spun it, its bad. if it shocks u while its spinning, its good
WTF?!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Take the cap off and look for carbon tracking, rust build-up (dust), and worn electrodes. Also loc-tite the rotor screws.
What he said.

Then after a visual inspection looks good and you loctite the rotor screws, put it back together and stick it on. Tighten the 3 mounting bolts and hook up all the wiring. DO NOT proceed further like putting on the water pump etc. Fire up the car and see if it runs. Let it idle and even give it some throttle and see what happens. It won't hurt your motor to run it for 30 seconds with no water pump. I always test an opti like that before putting the car the rest of the way back together.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TWS, you sir are the man...ive never thought about that and that was my biggest concern! thanks so much!

thanks for the info, i will clean it and check it tonight.

Quick Reply: how to check used optispark?