LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil presure drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil presure drop

ok guys and girls i need your help pls. my car has been loosing oil pressure when i come to a stop... and not like normal its been dropping close to the red than going back up to the 1/4 mark... and not quick stops ether just stopping at normal speeds.... and if i get on it then come to a stop it will loose oil pressure completely then go back up to the 1/4 mark... and i know its not from stopping to quickly because im stopping at the same rate as i always have... could my oil pump be going out?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

nothing?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

I would first check to see if the oil pump screen has come off. With the oil drained, some raps on the bottom of the pan with a mallet should confirm it rattling around.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

ok thanks should i not drive my car because if i cruze easy, it will only drop to right before the red...
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

If it was my car, I would be finding out the reason for the pressure problem before driving it any more.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

ok so I drained the oil and taped the oil pan with a rubber mallet. And there is defiantly something in my oil pan, so what’s next... i guess im take the oil pan of and have a look... the only problem is that i don’t know what im looking at... But im sure I can figure it out… im going to cut my oil filter in half here within the next hour to make sure there’s no metal shavings in it so ill keep yall updated… wish me luck
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time to drop the pan. I have seen people say it can be done with the engine still in the car.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

ok so there was no metal shaving in the oil filter... besides the metal shaving from me cutting it open so that’s good... there was some rubber pieces in there... not to big and im not sure what that would be from but im pimped that there’s no metal shaving so now i just have to drop the pan and see if it is the screen from the oil pump and putt it back on.. does anyone have any advise? cause ive never done this before with this car...
Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Raise the front end up, then unbolt the engine mounts lift the engine by the balancer, get all the pan bolts off and slide the pan out from the front.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1
Raise the front end up, then unbolt the engine mounts lift the engine by the balancer, get all the pan bolts off and slide the pan out from the front.
I was with you until THAT point. You slide it out from the rear....

And yes, it sounds like the oil pump's pickup tube fell off. Get it brazed in place.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

You would normally remove the low oil sensor before dropping the pan. It would catch on the screen and break. Might be a good idea to remove it anyway.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by shbox
You would normally remove the low oil sensor before dropping the pan. It would catch on the screen and break. Might be a good idea to remove it anyway.

Details, details.......

Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

samething happened to my car man. is your car a lt1 or ls1 car?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure that the "rubber pieces" you found in the filter arent neoprene? i had this problem a couple times. first time it was because the tip of my oil lever sensor broke off, and got broken up by the crank hitting it, and the then the pieces of it got sucked up through the pump and plugged the filter. changed my oil, sensor, and filter. ran the car for about 200 more miles and then changed the oil and filter again to make sure it was all out. had no more problems after that until my oil pump pickup came off the pump. how i ended up verifying that was used a telescopic magnet and reached up through the drain plug whole and pulled the pickup over where i could see it with a flashlight. since i had to pull the pan anyway, i replaced the pump with a high pressure pump and went back with a canton road race pan and pickup. hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually, while I think of it, and since you're in there, you should install a Melling or Moroso oil pump driveshaft, the one with the metal collar that's pinned in place....
Old 03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

ok im sorry guys sorry i just finished fixing my car and it was the screen and pick up tube had fallen of into my oil pan! so i changed out my oil pump and fixed the pick up tube and now i have awesome oil pressure and everything seems good thanks god because im almost positive that it fell of while i was at the track this past weekend! and i drove it to work one day but its all good so thanks for all the help its much appreciated because both shops it took it to wanted to look for the problem somewhere eals and told me that the pick up tube was not the problem... so i had to tell them what io wanted them to do with my car... i need to get back on regular hours at work so i can do the work my self because after all that i don’t want anyone eals touching my car because they were positive that it was not the pick up tube and that’s what it was but thanks for the help everyone
Old 03-12-2010, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Torchie94
samething happened to my car man. is your car a lt1 or ls1 car?
and yea bro its a lt1 sorry for the late respons ive been busy with work

Quick Reply: oil presure drop