LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Leaking LPP Header W/pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
usually QC doesn't check every part that is made especially on large orders. We have a gov't standard to follow when we do gov't jobs (but follow the same standard for everything) but only when you do a run of 1 or 2 parts do you inspect every part passed that say you have 300 parts made well you inspect 50 of them. Or some places just do first and last piece inspection. Not saying this is LPP's case just saying usually not every piece is inspected.
They only made 50 total.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

I took the header to a welder to see if he can fix it. Everyone says the same thing though, "It's amazing LPP wont just replace it." He is going to try and use a bunch of stainless sticks and see if he can reach it. It is clear that it was a manufacturing oops. the pipe was never welded all the way. Oh well just my luck, I'll say it again because if anything is going to be F'd up or go wrong it is going to happen to me. I am a cursed man when it comes to cars and parts. I always seem to find the weakness in parts and manufacturing problems. LOL funny thing is back when I bought these headers at the same time I bought a monster trans and had problems with that for 6 months. turned out it had a defective sunshell LOL.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope those aren't the 2nd design! My collectors looked good when I looked inside mine I got the second (new) design. It looks like some fail happened when they were making yours. This is like how my LS1 ss spoiler came to my door with a hole thru it the day before the car was going to be painted
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Just an update that I did send an E-mail to LPP with the pics I put in this post yesterday and I did not receive a response as of yet. Seems like a blow off. I resent the email and hope to get a response. Even though I have had this problem and could not find it for over a year the fact that it was never right to begin with makes me a little pissed and I am looking at spending an additional $400 (his fair rate for me) bucks for another set of just headers, I will have almost $1000 wrapped up in the headers and Y pipe. Not right. Vince at Trifecta Performance (The PCM Tuner) has been great. He is not going to charge me extra. He wants to get the tune right. Vince actually called this problem. After I sent him the first data log he said you have an exhaust leak on the passenger side. I had gone through everything trying to fix it. I sent him the second data log and he said it is still there. Low and behold he was right and I found that leak in the header. I have to give a big thumbs up to Vince at Trifecta Performance. Being able to figure that out from a computer from across the country (I'm in Florida and he is in Washington state) is bad *** guys. If your looking for a mail order type tune take a good look at Trifecta. I am going to make documentation both on video and in the forum to show you how his equipment works. Very easy and fast system. The welder is worried about burning through the pipe when he welds it so I am putting that on hold for a day to see if LPP will help out here before I take the risk of loosing the header and having to buy another set.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you end up buying another set of headers and want to sell that set, let me know. I have a friend who will buy them.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fergymoto
If you end up buying another set of headers and want to sell that set, let me know. I have a friend who will buy them.
Yea, if it gets to that point the passenger side will be unuseable since If the welder burns through I will have him cut and reweld, cut, patch and reweld and turn into a franken header before I buy another set. May not flow like the driver side but it is a street car and I am out of funds since I just finished up an engine build. I will keep it in mind though.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I had a pair of brand new hooker super comps do that to me and wtf did it **** me off. I could hear a exhaust leak and my o2 was all over the damn place. I finally had the car on a rack with my buddy and listened for the tick and then shined a light around the collector and what do you know. A ******* LEAK IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT... I had my buddy weld of the flange and now its all good to go. But if that header is new I would send that back to lpp and see what they will do.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Well since I did not here back from LPP and my birthday is tomorrow I took the header back to the welder and said see what you can do. Took me about 30min to setup and weld it but it looks like we got it fixed with out burning through. I wanted to be finished with this car by my birthday so I am going out into the garage to reistall this thing and hope to finish up the tune this weekend. I am not good at waiting so no lost love to LPP. It is still a great looking header for the money. Welder was gona charge me 35bucks for the fix but I gave him 50 just so I could bring it back and use his stuff again if I still have a problem. Anyone looking for a welder in the Tampa Bay area over by the Gulf of Mexico, Guys name is Matthew Griffin. He will do mobile, railings, trailers, truck bodies, and custom fab work. I will let you all know if it is fixed.

Last edited by jaycenk; 03-23-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
I had a pair of brand new hooker super comps do that to me and wtf did it **** me off. I could hear a exhaust leak and my o2 was all over the damn place. I finally had the car on a rack with my buddy and listened for the tick and then shined a light around the collector and what do you know. A ******* LEAK IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT... I had my buddy weld of the flange and now its all good to go. But if that header is new I would send that back to lpp and see what they will do.
dammit rob..lol.. i just got a set of the hooker comps.. ur scaring me now i gotta go check.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Ya lpp has horrible customer service. I am considering buying a set of their headers and they don't even have a phone number you can talk to somebody about their product. I emailed him and asked a couple questions about the headers and they will not answer any of them. I know he will respond because I asked him if he excepts money orders from a different email address and he responded to that but will not answer my questions about the headers. Seems kinda fishy, Im having second thoughts about lpp.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bowhunter415
Ya lpp has horrible customer service. I am considering buying a set of their headers and they don't even have a phone number you can talk to somebody about their product. I emailed him and asked a couple questions about the headers and they will not answer any of them. I know he will respond because I asked him if he excepts money orders from a different email address and he responded to that but will not answer my questions about the headers. Seems kinda fishy, Im having second thoughts about lpp.
Yea I have a little update to this whole thing. The header is fixed as far as I can tell. I heard back from him about 4 days latter after I sent email after email to him. For me it was more of the fact that I wanted him to say yes I will fix that and he did after I sent the same email with pics about 2 or 3 times. so I have no beef with them. His place is about an 1hr 1/2 away from me so he did offer for me to come and see if he could fix it. I rather just pay someone local and save the gas money and trip but I got what I wanted which was some sort of owner ship to the defect. I would still buy from them but I know what I am looking for now and have learned yet again the hard way. lol
I would look him up on ebay. He seems to respond to the ebay emails very fast. When I send him email through the LPP web site I don't hear from him for several days. When I do it through ebay I get a respons that day. just search for lpp headers on ebay and you will find him.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a local friend who will weld anything, tig, mig...arc...whatever it is and it is awesome...He has a mobile trailer that he brings out with the miller on it so I am always in luck if any problems alrise...

If I had 1000 into some headers....I would make sure they were perfect, I mean 1000 for headers is alot especially if you have to modify them, screw that, I would rather buy some cheap headers and if need be modify or fix those...to the op, i would make sure those were fixed before putting on the car, its not worth it to buy expensive headers if they require work after buying them.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slingshot928
I have a local friend who will weld anything, tig, mig...arc...whatever it is and it is awesome...He has a mobile trailer that he brings out with the miller on it so I am always in luck if any problems alrise...

If I had 1000 into some headers....I would make sure they were perfect, I mean 1000 for headers is alot especially if you have to modify them, screw that, I would rather buy some cheap headers and if need be modify or fix those...to the op, i would make sure those were fixed before putting on the car, its not worth it to buy expensive headers if they require work after buying them.
It's fixed. Carl at LPP has been busy and has gotten back to me. I don't have a grand in them I have 550. If I couldn't fix it I would have had more. But As I said LPP made me an offer to fix it which is all I wanted to see. I think I will just post all the e-mails from him so this gets sorted out. He made good. guys. I have said this several times.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

I am revising my previous statement as it has become more of a PITA than it has been worth. 11/16/2010

Last edited by jaycenk; 11-16-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: OVER IT
Old 03-24-2010, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Off topic sorry but where did you get those valve covers from?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Not sure but they look like the ones made for if you have relocated your alternator.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

They are GM preformance Center bolt valve covers. I use the alt in stock location, With a little grinding on it to make it fit. I have no idea where they came from because they were a gift for this project. I see them at speed shops all the time though. They are pollished aluminum. Great for my roller rockers too. No internal suports and nicer to look at than the composite ones.

Quick Reply: Leaking LPP Header W/pics