LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Leaking LPP Header W/pics

Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Leaking LPP Header W/pics

Well, I have a leaking LPP Header. It is in a bad spot too. It is down in the middle of where all of the pipes go into the collector. I have no idea how to fix this. any ideas are welcome otherwise I am going to have to buy a whole set to replace this one. I have already talked to LPP and he said he could not sell just one so if any of you have had a problem like this let me know what your thoughts are on how to fix it. Other wise I am going to have to buy a new set. Here are some pics

And this is with the camera up in the collector with me shinning a light outside.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Also this is the only pic of the header. The leaky pipe is cylider number 2 or the first pipe at the front of the engine.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's BS I would think LPP should be responsible for that
Old 03-17-2010, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone welded the center piece in there totally wrong. I hate to see that because I want to buy a set of LPPs for my car.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

I am going to e-mail him the pics and ask again but I don't know man. I have e-mailed him twice and he said I could send it to him to see IF he can fix it But I look at this as a big IF. I am right in the middle of tring to get the tune right on the car. I have trifecta's equipment here and I have to get this fixed before he can finish. It keeps causeing the O2 to see a lean condition and the PCM is makeing the fuel trim rich to componsate even though there really is no lean condition.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Goin out to garage to check mine" I would be pissed if lpp didnt fix it or make it right.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Exactly, Thats a manufacturing flaw/blem the merge is completely welded in cockeyed. I was looking into a set for my new 383. But it looks like Ill just have my hookers recoated!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

wow that sucks man that would be be real shitty if they didnt do something for you
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Send it back. Mistakes happen with every company and Im sure he can fix that, but it shouldnt cost you a dime.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

They never would have got this bad exposure if they did do something for him.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow 1st negative review on the LPP's I've heard of. Possibly just an honest mistake.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

He said Carl told him to send it back and he will see what he could do. If the OP sent it back and they fixed it, there would be no post in the first place. Problem is hes in a rush since he has the tuner there.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Yea don't get it wrong here guys I am not bashing LPP. I am just asking for options here and to see if anyone has had this problem or knows how I may be able to fix it. These headers have been on the car for over a year before my engine swap so I have nothing bad to say about them as of right now. They have been great I did not have a problem on the stock engine for some reason. I did not have a tune either but all the plugs looked great out of the 350. Now that I have the 383 in there I am having a problem so don't not go and buy them because of this. In fact he actually told me he has since redesigned the headers for more clearance of the steering shaft and K frame so the ones you buy now ARE different from these.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Yea don't get it wrong here guys I am not bashing LPP. I am just asking for options here and to see if anyone has had this problem or knows how I may be able to fix it. These headers have been on the car for over a year before my engine swap so I have nothing bad to say about them as of right now. They have been great I did not have a problem on the stock engine for some reason. I did not have a tune either but all the plugs looked great out of the 350. Now that I have the 383 in there I am having a problem so don't not go and buy them because of this. In fact he actually told me he has since redesigned the headers for more clearance of the steering shaft and K frame so the ones you buy now ARE different from these.
I didnt take as bashing, just alot of the guys got scared from the post. You could probably JB weld that for now or take it to any welder and see what they can do if you dont have the time to send it back.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Yea to many just freaked out there. I am still tring to work on a fix by LPP but yea I need to come up with something in the next few days. I just did not know if maybe this can be welded from the inside of the collector? I don't know much about welding stainless. I have done only some small mig welding a couple of times. What type of welder would need to be used for this 321 stainless? The reducer on the merge is welded on so I think maybe it could be cut off to give someone a shot at getting a stick or tig in there to weld it up? and then weld the reducer back on?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure what type of welder you need but I hear its really easy to weld SS.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Not sure what type of welder you need but I hear its really easy to weld SS.
Its not hard to weld. Just gotta have the right gas and wire. But that spike is on funky. I will bet LPP will replace the header.

The thing to do is closely inpect the quality of the headers before install and take all concerns to LPP. These things are gonna happen but I can endure some potential lost time in the interest of saving many MANY hundreds of dollars compared to the Kooks.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Someone welded the center piece in there totally wrong. I hate to see that because I want to buy a set of LPPs for my car.
x2 thats some poor QC tho!

Originally Posted by AChotrod
He said Carl told him to send it back and he will see what he could do. If the OP sent it back and they fixed it, there would be no post in the first place. Problem is hes in a rush since he has the tuner there.
but thats good to see!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
x2 thats some poor QC tho!
usually QC doesn't check every part that is made especially on large orders. We have a gov't standard to follow when we do gov't jobs (but follow the same standard for everything) but only when you do a run of 1 or 2 parts do you inspect every part passed that say you have 300 parts made well you inspect 50 of them. Or some places just do first and last piece inspection. Not saying this is LPP's case just saying usually not every piece is inspected.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

That will take about 4 seconds to weld with any good fabricator. If it were me I'd take it to my guy in town and be done with it. He probably wouldn't even charge for something so small.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking LPP Header W/pics