LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is it ok to use these head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it ok to use these head gaskets?

So i purchased a set of new felpro 1074 head gaskets from Summit which came a couple of days ago, should have opened the box then but I just opened the box a few hours ago and they were somewhat bent, not kinked or anything, but curved since the box they were shipped in was too big for just 2 head gaskets.

These head gaskets have the metal ring around the piston area and on one of the gaskets it seems like the metal ring part is lifted from the gasket, so if they are torqued down will everything with these head gaskets be fine?

or would you wait and have summit ship out a new pair and delay your work another week?

I don't want to go into how long I have been waiting, and this just pisses me off.

my other option is that I have a set of felpro 1074's laying around that were purchased from someone that dry mounted the heads to the block but never turned the car on and took the gaskets right off. Is there potential for a leak or problems with those head gaskets? they look flatter than the new ones I just received but even then they are not new looking, but also not beat up or anything.

So my options are to go ahead and use the new ones, use the ones that have been mounted, or just wait for a new set.

thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they look bad I would call summit and send them back...they are good about that....it is much easier to wait a few days for a new set of gaskets than to pull the heads off again if they leak....

Matt
Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i figured that would be the answer that made the most sense. I am going to try to find these head gaskets somewhere in town today in San Diego, hopefully a machine shop or performance shop has a pair and I can just send the others back to summit for a refund.

I already called napa, carquest, kragen, autozone, and pepboys but no one carries these gaskets, they are special order.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to get those from a autoparts store. Just go in and give them the part number.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol sorry just read where you said they are special order from the parts store. See what would be faster.

Quick Reply: Is it ok to use these head gaskets?