LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water temp sensor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water temp sensor problem?

My water temp sensor got hit and broke while I was installing headers. I went and bought a new one from GM and plugged it in and still no reading on my gauge. Then yesterday while driving home my car starting steaming and my overflow cap was not on and was spewing all over and my rad lines and rad was pressured up and very hot.

Well I think I got the air bubble(s) out and I THINK the t-stat is opening but I'm a little cautious to take it for a drive without my sensor working and not knowing if the car is starting to overheat.

So could this be my connector which plugs into the water temp sensor and goes back to my computer?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no they're different.

computer is upfront, gauge is by headers, if one is broken, it doesn't affect the other.

If you're asking if both sensors are the same part number? I think they are.

EDIT: They are not the same part number, info below.

Last edited by Torque Fiend; 04-05-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No they are not the same part number. One is a one-wire sensor (on the cylinder head), one is a two-wire (on the water pump).
Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

I blew one of my fuses for the fans and overheated and cracked my radiator, are your fans coming on at all?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by muxlt1
My water temp sensor got hit and broke while I was installing headers. I went and bought a new one from GM and plugged it in and still no reading on my gauge. Then yesterday while driving home my car starting steaming and my overflow cap was not on and was spewing all over and my rad lines and rad was pressured up and very hot.

Well I think I got the air bubble(s) out and I THINK the t-stat is opening but I'm a little cautious to take it for a drive without my sensor working and not knowing if the car is starting to overheat.

So could this be my connector which plugs into the water temp sensor and goes back to my computer?

Do some testing. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ect

Was the GM sensor you bought part #25037332? If it was 15326386, that is the one for the PCM (in the water pump) and the wrong one.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shbox
Do some testing. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ect

Was the GM sensor you bought part #25037332? If it was 15326386, that is the one for the PCM (in the water pump) and the wrong one.
I'm going to grab the bill for it right now

Edit:

Nope I have the correct part. What I guess what I'm asking is what could be the reason why my temp gauge doesn't work.
thanks again
Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad/open wiring or pigtail. Like shoe mentioned, doing some simple diagnostic tests will net you your solution.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Bad/open wiring or pigtail. Like shoe mentioned, doing some simple diagnostic tests will net you your solution.
Yea I was looking over shoes site and it's very helpful and informative so much information and pictures I've needed in the past and I'm sure I will need in the future.

Quick Reply: water temp sensor problem?