LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Strange noise while in drive.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise while in drive.

Noise just started today, drove the car for half and hour, it sat for no more than 5 minutes. came back outside and started it up and no noise, put into drive and gave it some gas and a whine/whistle/whirling sound can be heard towards the front/middle of car. makes the same noise in reverse also. i drove it around the block and the pitch goes up with rpm increase. if i put the car in neutral and rev there is no noise. so doesnt seem like anything belt drive or internal engine. problem is im 15 miles from home and deciding if i need a tow home because i have no clue where this noise is coming from.

could it be a pulley?

Last edited by 97 Trans Am ws6; 04-06-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

just drove home and car drives like normal, gauges normal, its shifting normal (A4) it sounds like a supercharger whine, problem is as i speed up i cant hear it over my exhausts so tomorrow im gunna try and get it on a lift at school. but this noise is driving me nuts. only time you can really hear it is in gear, sounds is coming from engine bay. noise get higher pitch as rpms climb.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

maybe a vacuum leak somewhere but wouldnt it whine it neutral also or just under load in a gear? anyone have an idea?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Im not an expert by far. I would assume a whirling or any whistling sound would be coming from some kind of vacuum system. I would start by inspecting every vacuum line. Just give everything a good once over. Was there anything else that happened around the time the noise started? any other symptoms?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the belt off and run it with out the belt for a few min to make sure it's not the alt, ac, or ps pump.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

i had that same problem 3 months ago and I tried to figure out what it was but then I said the hell with it until...two weeks ago my waterpump started leaking badly! So it might be your waterpump thats about to fail on you!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the sound is coming from the middle of the car (back of motor/transmission area) and the noise is only heard while the transmission is in gear then I'd assume it's a problem associated with the flexplate or torque convertor like a loose bolt or faulty part.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

yea vacuum is what ill check next but if waterpump was going then it would whistle even in neutral. theres a possibility that it can be the ps pump because it does get very stiff every once in a while.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myltwon
if the sound is coming from the middle of the car (back of motor/transmission area) and the noise is only heard while the transmission is in gear then I'd assume it's a problem associated with the flexplate or torque convertor like a loose bolt or faulty part.
its hard to tell where its coming from under the hood, i can lightly brake torque it you can faintly hear it, and i didnt think that a flexplate or torque convertor would make a whistle/whine sound. and the car shifting normal