LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Plastic/Composite intake (might happen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have any pics yet?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I think it is admirable that you want to try to do this. It is not my intention to discourage you, and I hope you manage to successfully do it. However, it is important to note that the intake manifold has never been the restriction for the overwhelming majority of applications. The issue has always been the cylinder head, and many who buy entry level head work disparage the factory manifold as an excuse for their mediocre performance.

We have proven time and time again that we can alter the factory manifold to support 600hp+ with less than $500 worth of work applied to it. Consider that the average build is 100-200hp down from that mark. To actually sell a quality part, your price point will likely have to be so low that you are actually paying for people to have your part. The other option is to sell low end work, which may work well for you since many of the LT parts buyers are buying parts for the first time, and out of inexperience choose products based on price & forum posts vs. actual results and value.

I hope you do see this through and succeed, but I would suggest it is worth consideration that A. this isn't the first time someone has thought of this and B. people with far more resources and capital than most have passed due to the ROI simply not being there.

Good luck!

-Phil
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

maybe u could make a few and try to sell the design to fast or edelbrock or similar? ud make money that way. if u could sell it
Old 05-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where does your project stand at this point?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^ im gonna guess between a dumpster and a recyling bin....wondering which one to dive into!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do stay with lt1 factory intake, plastic intake remind me the old mustang intake crack nightmare every mustang have been thru -_-. When it hot it crack.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:11 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Working on a couple things at the moment, but have not gave up.

I will post up an update on what ive been up to in the nere future.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
no market, stock manifold supports enough power for 98% of ltx builds. I made 480 rwhp with a HR cam and ported lt4 manifold... i know there's hp to be gained on my setup from a manifold change, but a super vic is where my money will be spent.
yep...........i made 447rwhp through a big *** converter and s4.56's and slicks with a stock LT1 intake ported by AI.......ran well into the 10's at 127+mph........the stock intake a ton of capability........more than people crack it up to have...........
Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by killagt
I do stay with lt1 factory intake, plastic intake remind me the old mustang intake crack nightmare every mustang have been thru -_-. When it hot it crack.
One of the problems with the stang intake was it had hot coolant running through the front half of the intake, when they made it a seperate aluminum peice I never seen a crack again in those.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
I think it is admirable that you want to try to do this. It is not my intention to discourage you, and I hope you manage to successfully do it. However, it is important to note that the intake manifold has never been the restriction for the overwhelming majority of applications. The issue has always been the cylinder head, and many who buy entry level head work disparage the factory manifold as an excuse for their mediocre performance.

We have proven time and time again that we can alter the factory manifold to support 600hp+ with less than $500 worth of work applied to it. Consider that the average build is 100-200hp down from that mark. To actually sell a quality part, your price point will likely have to be so low that you are actually paying for people to have your part. The other option is to sell low end work, which may work well for you since many of the LT parts buyers are buying parts for the first time, and out of inexperience choose products based on price & forum posts vs. actual results and value.

I hope you do see this through and succeed, but I would suggest it is worth consideration that A. this isn't the first time someone has thought of this and B. people with far more resources and capital than most have passed due to the ROI simply not being there.

Good luck!

-Phil
If what you say is true then there would be no reason for LTX people to switch to a single plane manifold, Hogan or even a TPIS Miniram over their stock ported intake.

Just from a heatsink standpoint a composite intake would be a plus.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are blindly arguing rather than reading his post and in doing such proved his point about the ignorance of this community. He never said it was the best option just that is was not the restriction for the vast majority and few can benefit from another option.

Beyond that the single plane is done a LOT more often than it should be and a few guys have even admitted it was a big mistake for their set though most choose to blindly defend anything they have done good or bad.

Hell I had one guy with an f-body I ran into at the track that was slower than my Caprice despite more mods tell me weight doesn't really matter. Had to have some excuse why his 500lbs lighter car was slower with more money sunk into it.

Look at what the FAST manifolds cost and the LSx platform will many times over outsell the LTx, a plastic LTx manifold would be much like the Dart block the price needed to offset the development and tooling costs would crush sales to the point where it would be a money loser.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS Sick
One of the problems with the stang intake was it had hot coolant running through the front half of the intake, when they made it a seperate aluminum peice I never seen a crack again in those.
the most stress on the cross over was because ford bolted a damn brace for the alternator to it. i must have replaced 20 of them over the years. they always filled up the pass side back 2 plugs hole with coolant.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

One idea, make it like the new AFR intakes, divorced uppers and lowers, that way you can mix and match uppers to lowers, LS upper/runners on LT Lower etc. hell you can probably piggy back off of their stuff. That way you can make the upper able to come off and be really really ported quite easily.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by projektnitemare13
One idea, make it like the new AFR intakes, divorced uppers and lowers, that way you can mix and match uppers to lowers, LS upper/runners on LT Lower etc. hell you can probably piggy back off of their stuff. That way you can make the upper able to come off and be really really ported quite easily.
You can't be serious? "LS upper and LT lower " LMFAO
Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

not a literal LS on an LT but create an LT base that can take advantage of the newer runner designs used on later model engines.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not necessary, not to mention not possible. The heads are radically different in every aspect therefore what works with one wont automatically work with the other..
Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you upgrade to a single plane and don't pick up, well you're doing something wrong. at which point you should put down the wrenches and step away from the car! lol!!!!
i picked up a ton with my conversion.

.......but whatever...... i would love to put the new single plane plastic intake on my motor, but i don't think they offer an efi application. not that i have checked their website recently. weight and heat soak are two benefits.
my junk has gone 10.09 at 3550 #'s, it has a n20 cam in it, and i have to shift a transmission.

if a lt manifold were to be made i would hope they could do a single plane design, but that is me being selfish.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that all the people putting this project down don't really want the ltx platform to grow...i mean someone has to have ideas and try to make them work wether they fail or not. The OP has to try...or maybe he succeed and only makes one, and tells the rest of us to F off. I believe we should encourage someone to there goals. Hey OP give it your best shot and leave nothing to doubt!! Just my .02
Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plastic single plane sounds like the easiest and best option so far. Not sure on how you would get the runners to match diff size head runners tho but im sure ls1 guys already have that figured out....
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^^^ I agree 90%

Come on people! Better his bank account then our own to fund this project!

Quick Reply: LT1 Plastic/Composite intake (might happen)