LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Plastic/Composite intake (might happen)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daren...das what the spray is for, lol!!!!! ;0)
Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taner
Daren...das what the spray is for, lol!!!!! ;0)
Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You are blindly arguing rather than reading his post and in doing such proved his point about the ignorance of this community. He never said it was the best option just that is was not the restriction for the vast majority and few can benefit from another option.

Beyond that the single plane is done a LOT more often than it should be and a few guys have even admitted it was a big mistake for their set though most choose to blindly defend anything they have done good or bad.

Hell I had one guy with an f-body I ran into at the track that was slower than my Caprice despite more mods tell me weight doesn't really matter. Had to have some excuse why his 500lbs lighter car was slower with more money sunk into it.

Look at what the FAST manifolds cost and the LSx platform will many times over outsell the LTx, a plastic LTx manifold would be much like the Dart block the price needed to offset the development and tooling costs would crush sales to the point where it would be a money loser.
i can tell you after spending a few days on a flow bench that the LTx Intake is lacking and holding the heads back. We tried many intakes and a few cutup versions to boot. You know if you cut the top off the intake the ports pick up 30+ CFM? That is over a fully modified mono blade intake BTW

Oh well Haters will hate
Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
i can tell you after spending a few days on a flow bench that the LTx Intake is lacking and holding the heads back. We tried many intakes and a few cutup versions to boot. You know if you cut the top off the intake the ports pick up 30+ CFM? That is over a fully modified mono blade intake BTW

Oh well Haters will hate

I fall into 96capricemgr's "blindly" group, lol. Apparently I blindly put a single plane on my car when clearly I should have stuck with the stocker. My car dropped an honest .30-.35 in the 1/8th when I did the swap. It was a 7.55ish car then it became a 7.20 car. I never ran it back-to-back in the 1/4 mile, but based on the 1/8th times it would have dropped around .60. The stock intake isn't a bad piece for a stock piece, but a single plane is better up top. When was the last time you saw ANYONE put some sort of square box intake setup onto a sbc? lol. There's a reason why noone converts LT1 manifolds for other uses. Well except for the occasional TPI guy.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
You know if you cut the top off the intake the ports pick up 30+ CFM?

Duh...big *** vaccum leak alert!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I never said the LT1 intake is the ultimate, just that people are way too quick to want to ditch it.

I would also say it has been proven time and again we don't race flowbenches either.

From a common sense point of view the FAST LS intakes are $900+ with a VASTLY larger market to soak up the development and tooling costs. That is my main point here. If this could be pulled off I think it would cost as much as a Hoagan but not be anywhere near as perfect for the particular application as a true custom intake like Hoagan would be. Then again at that price they wouldn't sell but a dozen of them so it would be a big failure from a business standpoint. This is just like the Dart block thing, people expect companies to pay to put parts on their car. The Dart block was going to be a money loser just like this would be.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I never said the LT1 intake is the ultimate, just that people are way too quick to want to ditch it.

I would also say it has been proven time and again we don't race flowbenches either.

From a common sense point of view the FAST LS intakes are $900+ with a VASTLY larger market to soak up the development and tooling costs. That is my main point here. If this could be pulled off I think it would cost as much as a Hoagan but not be anywhere near as perfect for the particular application as a true custom intake like Hoagan would be. Then again at that price they wouldn't sell but a dozen of them so it would be a big failure from a business standpoint. This is just like the Dart block thing, people expect companies to pay to put parts on their car. The Dart block was going to be a money loser just like this would be.

I am staying with the stock lt1 intake but it is heavily ported by AI. I think some people get hit by the marketing gimmick that companies run and they think they have to have the newest and latest thing whether it is actually beneficial or not. People relate newest and latest to being the best when it may not be the case. Very few people actually do research to verify others claims, they take their word for granite.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
I fall into 96capricemgr's "blindly" group, lol. Apparently I blindly put a single plane on my car when clearly I should have stuck with the stocker. My car dropped an honest .30-.35 in the 1/8th when I did the swap. It was a 7.55ish car then it became a 7.20 car. I never ran it back-to-back in the 1/4 mile, but based on the 1/8th times it would have dropped around .60. The stock intake isn't a bad piece for a stock piece, but a single plane is better up top. When was the last time you saw ANYONE put some sort of square box intake setup onto a sbc? lol. There's a reason why noone converts LT1 manifolds for other uses. Well except for the occasional TPI guy.
I can easily believe that - the bigger the motor, the more it will want to be fed. Your AFR headed big cube LT1 will want all the air it can get, especially if you spin it nice and high.

While I agree that a stock cube LT1 or a mild 383 staying below 7k probably won't benefit much, a bigger motor or one spinning crazy high RPMs will love the swap.

As for the OP, I doubt a composite one will be worth it over an aluminum intake on a street or even drag car...personally give me a nice air gap aluminum single plane and let me ice it all over...but it may be good for a road racer(?). I'm no road racing pro, but all that time at high RPMs has got to create some horrible heat soak under the hood. That has got to be an even smaller segment then an LT1 drag racer though, so it wouldn't be smart business sense to invest in such a tiny market.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
I can easily believe that - the bigger the motor, the more it will want to be fed. Your AFR headed big cube LT1 will want all the air it can get, especially if you spin it nice and high.
I'm not talking about my new motor. I put the single plane on my stock shortblock motor back in 2007. It had TFS 195cc heads with 62cc chambers. The compression ratio was around 9.2-1. The heads flowed about 250-255cfm, nothing special. It had the XFI468 cam. THAT motor picked up considerably and there are tons of people out there running more cubes, more cam, more compression, and WAY bigger heads that could benefit but they "blindly" keep the stock intake on there, lol.

While I agree that a stock cube LT1 or a mild 383 staying below 7k probably won't benefit much, a bigger motor or one spinning crazy high RPMs will love the swap.
My 350 with the stock intake would still rev high, but it didn't pull nearly as good up top.

As for the OP, I doubt a composite one will be worth it over an aluminum intake on a street or even drag car...personally give me a nice air gap aluminum single plane and let me ice it all over...but it may be good for a road racer(?). I'm no road racing pro, but all that time at high RPMs has got to create some horrible heat soak under the hood. That has got to be an even smaller segment then an LT1 drag racer though, so it wouldn't be smart business sense to invest in such a tiny market.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So I assume that a high compression 396 revving to 6800-7000 with ported aftermarket heads would benefit from a single plane vs a ported stocker?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kgkern01
So I assume that a high compression 396 revving to 6800-7000 with ported aftermarket heads would benefit from a single plane vs a ported stocker?
Unless you really like your power taking a dive at 6,200 or so yes it will

While we do not race Flow Benches or dyno's they are very useful tools to find problems.

Back when I was doing this work Phil and I talked about it and the benifits This was back when he started AI. He has done well and does good work. But I am not one to

Quick Reply: LT1 Plastic/Composite intake (might happen)