LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: which one should i do?
keep the dynomax bullet
83.33%
get the magnapack
16.67%
get the sweet thunder
0%
get the spiral flow
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

should i keep my bullet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should i keep my bullet?

sup guys... i'm thinking of swapping my dynomax bullet for a sweet thunder.
my setup is longutbes, ory, bullet dumped. i like the sound, just wanting to get rid of some of the droning.

considering the magnapack, sweet thunder, and spiral flow.

i have heard that the spiral flow and sweet thunder when used in a single dump setup can cause a flow restriction. is that proven to be true?

what do you guys think?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do the ones you list compare to the "bullet" type muffler in my SLP Loudmouth?? I'm strongly considerring swapping it out for a conventional crossflow style because of the droning, and it's just too loud for local law enforcement.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
How do the ones you list compare to the "bullet" type muffler in my SLP Loudmouth?? I'm strongly considerring swapping it out for a conventional crossflow style because of the droning, and it's just too loud for local law enforcement.
the loudmouth 1 is basically a straight pipe. any of the ones i listed would tone down the loudmouth. or you could buy the loudmouth 2 muffler to stick in place of yours. it is quieter than the LM1.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like my magnaflow

the spiral flow felt restrictive.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
I really like my magnaflow

the spiral flow felt restrictive.
do you have the magnaflow bullet style?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

My vote would be for sweet thunders. They sound great! I have one myself in place of the SLP resonator on my loudmouth catback. Gives a great throaty, deep sound. The guys over there are excellent as well. Will make you any size you need...
Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Newb here and I've never heard of Sweet Thunders. Can you post more info? Website?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Newb here and I've never heard of Sweet Thunders. Can you post more info? Website?
http://www.sweet-thunder.com/chamber...html#stainless

This link is to the general chambered muffler section. I went with the stainless steel. A beautiful piece. I believe I got the 18" one for my loudmouth setup, but you can go longer for a more defined sound
Old 04-14-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the DynoMax
Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I love the sound of the Dynomax bullet so I voted keep it. Sweet thunders do sound awesome though, but I always wondered about their construction, they almost look like they would be more restrictive, then again it is still straight through, which has a larger inner diameter?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know a guy wanting to get rid of his sweet thunders so i thought i would try one out. all the clips i can find are of ls1's.

i think the inside diameter is the same or the sweet thunder is slightly smaller for sound control or something.

i like the dynomax but kinda want to try something different.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
do you have the magnaflow bullet style?

Yes and I love it!! I get compliments everywhere I go for how good the car sounds!

Matt
Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the information on Sweet Thunder. Tonight I finished removing the LM1. I ended up having to cut it in 2 places because the slip fit of the pipes wouldn't release after being clamped for so long I guess. I even tried heating the areas first, but no luck. I installed a new intermediate and over the axle pipe and will be bolting a crossflow style muffler on in a couple days I guess. Anyway, my whole point of mentioning this is:
I started the car with the open pipe (ends right where a muffler would normally reside) and I don't think it sounded any louder than the LM1 I just removed. I thought that couldn't be right, so I had my girlfriend have a listen. She says she can't tell a difference either. Is the LM1 muffler just that LOUD or could it be that mine was burnt out? My SLP sticker in the passenger's door lists Perf Exhaust as one of the SLP options on it. (SS car). Does that mean the LM1 is likely the original exhaust system or would it have come with some other SLP exhaust?? I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just following it closely since it's all relevent to my current problem. If that's what I'm doing, then my apologies to the OP. Hopefully I'm contributing something though.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the information on Sweet Thunder. Tonight I finished removing the LM1. I ended up having to cut it in 2 places because the slip fit of the pipes wouldn't release after being clamped for so long I guess. I even tried heating the areas first, but no luck. I installed a new intermediate and over the axle pipe and will be bolting a crossflow style muffler on in a couple days I guess. Anyway, my whole point of mentioning this is:
I started the car with the open pipe (ends right where a muffler would normally reside) and I don't think it sounded any louder than the LM1 I just removed. I thought that couldn't be right, so I had my girlfriend have a listen. She says she can't tell a difference either. Is the LM1 muffler just that LOUD or could it be that mine was burnt out? My SLP sticker in the passenger's door lists Perf Exhaust as one of the SLP options on it. (SS car). Does that mean the LM1 is likely the original exhaust system or would it have come with some other SLP exhaust?? I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just following it closely since it's all relevent to my current problem. If that's what I'm doing, then my apologies to the OP. Hopefully I'm contributing something though.
STOP HIJACKING MY ******* THREAD!!!!

jk lol!!

lol nah man your good!! you won't tell a difference with the LM1 resonator in or out of the system. the LM is NOT the factory exhaust on a ss. 96-97 ss cars had a slp 2OTL (2 on the left) exhaust made by SLP which was a full case muffler. 98-02 ss cars had a typical crossflow muffler made by SLP which was suppose to be better flowing than a typical Z28 stock muffler.

this is the difference between LM1 and LM2.

LM1-no packing material

LM2-packing

Last edited by mean_greenZ; 04-15-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

come on guys...need some votes!!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

honestly to me basically all bullets sound about the same outside the magnaflow, borla xr-1, and sprial flow. I replaced an LM1 bullet with one of the powerpacks or whatever and it sounded exactly the same.

flowmaster 1 chambers are my personal fav for a "race" muffler
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like the magnaflows but wish i could find one used. i don't want to pay $76 from summit and then pay their $9.95 "free shipping" fee. that's a little steep.

Quick Reply: should i keep my bullet?