LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Want to build a 500 HP LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aboatguy

If you try to squeek by you'll probably end up like so many others with a rolling chassis for sale (with 7K of reciepts)

I've always come up with a detailed budget and then doubled it.

Fast, cheap, reliable choose two........
Mike
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input everyone. By the sounds of things (and keeping a budget closer to 5K rather than 10K) If I aim for AI 200 cc heads, and a fair-priced 383 Kit, I should be in good shape to make roughly 450 rwhp, and not get too deep financially (gotta keep the wife happy here, too!)

If this build ends up closer to 7-8K, I'm fine with that, again, I'm just looking for suggestions on how to build this kind of power, in a reliable LT1.

Would porting the existing heads be a good option? I know a lot of people do it, I've read many threads on it, but not sure what the best choice is? New, or ported?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
thanks for the input everyone. By the sounds of things (and keeping a budget closer to 5K rather than 10K) If I aim for AI 200 cc heads, and a fair-priced 383 Kit, I should be in good shape to make roughly 450 rwhp, and not get too deep financially (gotta keep the wife happy here, too!)

If this build ends up closer to 7-8K, I'm fine with that, again, I'm just looking for suggestions on how to build this kind of power, in a reliable LT1.

Would porting the existing heads be a good option? I know a lot of people do it, I've read many threads on it, but not sure what the best choice is? New, or ported?
Take a look at my build thread. It's exactly what you're looking for. My 383 put down 455whp.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...d-why-not.html
Old 04-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Yeah, you've got a very similar setup to what I'm looking for... At the end of the day, what did all the engine mods end up costing you? And did you buy your Crank/rods/pistons as a kit, or seperately?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, you've got a very similar setup to what I'm looking for... At the end of the day, what did all the engine mods end up costing you? And did you buy your Crank/rods/pistons as a kit, or seperately?
Well the engine alone (with all of the bolt-ons) cost me around $9k (and that's a conservative estimate). Add on a $2000 transmission and a $2500 rearend to support it and..well...you get the picture.

I pieced together the rotating assembly myself and with the help of my builder.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

hahahah lemme throw in my .02 cents. prior to completely getting rid of all my 4th gen parts and **** and started on my 3rd gen i had the same exact post. hell if you look back over the last year youll see my thread...... a cheap build for 500 wheel it ran me about 12k. and thats being close buddies with the machine shop and having hookups on parts so if your looking for 5k to spend expect about 375-400 wheel. my 3500 dollar 383 build was prolly 350ish pull a 13.1 at 109.... so to be perfectly honest expect to spend alot or sacrifice your goals. one thing im sure everyone has been told more then once

Good Quality, Low Price, Big Power. you can pick 2 of them your not gonna get all 3 lol

GOod luck with the build for sure though.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To the OP, you are most likely gonna spend way way... over 5k jsut for the engine build. Unless you find a good deal an something!! I was able to come across and all forged 388 LT1 shortblock with fresh rings and bearings, many extras included for $2300. Now as everyone ha said, and I would think you are aware of this, you need to spend lots of cheese on all the supporting mods.. lots o cheese
Old 04-25-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Second Club

doable with a HR, just takes a nice set of heads. If I was still a 6 speed i would have made 500 rwhp with a bigger cam, not very streetable probably and that's running on E85 where you see 3-4% more power.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 AM
Launching!

So tell me... what is the opinion of this group with a purchase like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This guy's selling basically what I'm looking for, but I really don't know how it's so cheap... Are the parts cheap? Half-*** workmanship? I don't know. What's your opinion on buying a stroker this way?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That engine is using a cast crank and the cheap rods, plus look at the cheap timing set they're using.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Veteran

This guy's selling basically what I'm looking for, but I really don't know how it's so cheap... Are the parts cheap? Half-*** workmanship? I don't know. What's your opinion on buying a stroker this way?
Cast crank, shitty heads, and off the shelf lazy cam.

460 is an exaggerated flywheel number, don't expect more then 360rwhp, and don't expect it to be reliable.

I sure as hell wouldn't spray 175 like stated.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Launching!

It doesn't look like he had the block in a acid bath. That engine is probably going to be closer to 400 at the wheels, and i have heard a lot of bad reviews on Eagles crank shafts breaking. At the very least i would ask him to personally balance the rotating assembly (Eagle claims that they are Pre-Balanced out of the box), but others have installed them and had horrible vibrations. If you do go that route let us know what the results are. That is a dirt cheep price for a long block 383, i would imagine he would have to be cutting corners somewhere. Maybe he is trying to get his name out there i really don't know. I would be cautious, more times than not u get what u pay for.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

Hey man be careful buying anythign from eagle. heres the outcome of my eagle crank. i ran the car hard dont get my wrong but never missed a shift or over revved it. my 383 shifted at 6800

sorry the pics are small but i hope you get the idea. right after the #1 piston bearing it snapped in half.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd avoid Eagle.

Lunati or Callies all the way. Do it right the first time.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
That engine is using a cast crank and the cheap rods, plus look at the cheap timing set they're using.
I don't see where it says cast crank? eagle h-beams aren't shitty rods, not the best but far from being garbage.

I had heard cloyes makes good timing sets, I could be wrong.

the block definately looks like it could have used a hot tanking, also sucks he's running dished pistons especially with that cam
Old 04-25-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with Eagle, I got one in mine...forged of course.

There are probably more Eagle rotating assemblies running at the track than any other.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Launching!

where would the best place be to start shopping/pricing out stroker kits? Summit/Jegs? or are you guys sticking with local shops?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the biggest and most often repeated mistakes I see is the "need" to build a motor rather than just modding the stock motor. If you try and do it "on a budget" what happens is you put together something not so good and lack the money to do the topend right. Topend is where power comes from. So putting the blinders on and wanting a bigger shortblock at the expense of having a good topend means you will see tailights of heads/cam cars.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Nothing wrong with Eagle, I got one in mine...forged of course.

There are probably more Eagle rotating assemblies running at the track than any other.
Agreed.

The cast stuff is only rated to 500flywheel, and I have seen it break off the snout more then once...but the forged is good to over 1,000hp and has seen much more then that...it won't be broken by 99% of the cars on this site unless its due to installation error.

My shortblock was built for a solid roller setup of 600 flywheel PLUS a 250 shot of nitrous, and uses a forged eagle crank. I'll only be running an NA setup, but its nice to know that it will be bulletproof in my combo.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
One of the biggest and most often repeated mistakes I see is the "need" to build a motor rather than just modding the stock motor. If you try and do it "on a budget" what happens is you put together something not so good and lack the money to do the topend right. Topend is where power comes from. So putting the blinders on and wanting a bigger shortblock at the expense of having a good topend means you will see tailights of heads/cam cars.
Sadly there are way too many slow 383s on the site . Money wasted that would have been better spent on a quality refresh and top end.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Puck
Sadly there are way too many slow 383s on the site . Money wasted that would have been better spent on a quality refresh and top end.
So, tell me, if you were in my position, what would you do? I've got a solid LT1 bolt on motor right now, but I've got 200.000 K on it, and need to refresh it. I want some serious power, but don't want to sacrifice reliability, and will honestly, rarely, if ever see the 1/4 mile.

Is a hot top-end all I need?

Sorry for all the "all over the place" questions, guys, but I'm not an engine pro. I'm a painter, I love the cars, but know jack s**t about building power!

Quick Reply: Want to build a 500 HP LT1