LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Machine shop issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Document everything, keep in contact with Bauer, or at least attempt to. Get estimates of what the cost will be to replace the intake and have it converted by a reputable shop. Keep all the receipts that you have already and when you get back to the States file suit.

Hands down you win, you may never recover the damages without having to hire an attorney to collect them for you but you'll get them. And the best thing of all that is that he'll be forced to pay for your attorney fees including interest!!!

I don't know Brett nor do I ever intend to send him any of my business after reading this thread..

Good Luck to ya brother.

Thank You!!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i read this the other day..

i take it that you have already paid for this intake and to have the modifications done? this thing has been shipped several different times also..

who the hell didnt put shipping insurance on such an expensive intake? all involved are dumbass's for not insuring the piece to begin with.. I've seen shipping companies lose entire crate engines!!

i wouldnt let brett bauer work on my lawnmower now.. i been a machinist for 22yrs, looks like brett has been doing it for all of 2 days, **** poor work, **** poor tooling.. if the dumbass treats people like that he deserves to be out of business..
Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Bert showing the true colors once again. Perhaps now some of the sheep who blindly follow this clown will understand what a moron he truly is. Whatever shithook you paid to get this done should be responsible for making it right.
Don't think it's too smart to be conducting this kind of business while you are half a world away either.

Last edited by SS RRR; 04-24-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

The day after you get home, file in small claims court, this is an easy 600 bucks.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 PM

Default My experience with Brett Bauer

Mr. Brett Bauer claims to grind custom camshafts for folks, including the LT1. I tried to contact him for a custom cam. First I PM'd him and it took him about a week to get back to me.

1) Lack of communication.....first warning sign.

Then when he did get back to me, he stated to me that the reason he did not respond quickly was because it was best to reach him by email. . . which I did. It took him two weeks to get back to me.. . .after I sent numerous emails.

2) Bull-crap artist.. . .second warning sign.

Then when I asked him for a quote for a custom cam, he quoted me $400.00!!

3) Rip off Artist.. . . .final warning sign.

Mr. Brett Bauer POUND SALT MY FRIEND!!!!!!

I have documented the emails.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Some things that might help clear the air.

When I was told I would receive the intake manifold...and when I received it spanned almost 4 months. In my industry spring is the busiest season. I was asked to turn the manifold around in 2 weeks which would have been possible in the winter but not in the spring unless it was already scheduled for that time.

Lloyd was made aware of this and the decision was made to send it to Bauer due to the time frame Lloyd had availible to him.

BTW... You can stop telling people that you paid me also Josh, as we both know that is not true. At the time Lloyd decided he needed to take another path I was no longer involved in anyway with your project. If you believe that Lloyd should have waited until I had time to do the project then take that up with Lloyd.

Not be ask a dumb question.. But what problems are you seeing with the manifold other then the crack?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is no surprise at all coming from Bret Bauer.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jmagliola
The day after you get home, file in small claims court, this is an easy 600 bucks.
no its not that easy.

and honestly I think he would lose anyway b/c it could be chalked up to shipping damage, or be fixed he is only entitled to the repair cost. Also it would have to be filed wherever bret is located unless both parties agree to go thru an arbitrator like judge judy. Now I admit....I wouldnt mind sniffin them panties
Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

I don't know anything about machining but those pictures look like HORSESHIT drilling/ machining.

Wow.

Brett Bauer can suck a fat one.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Is one of these him?

http://www.facebook.com/bret.bauer

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng.../photo_03.html

Dan
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hineyspanker
Mr. Brett Bauer claims to grind custom camshafts for folks, including the LT1. I tried to contact him for a custom cam. First I PM'd him and it took him about a week to get back to me.

1) Lack of communication.....first warning sign.

Then when I asked him for a quote for a custom cam, he quoted me $400.00!!
He doesn't deal with customers. I'm not going to say the work he did for me was cheap or fast but then again I have to be worried if their shop wasn't busy. Yea he isn't on hardcore as SStrokerace anymore but his father is under OldStroker is or something close. I had to wait a year for a set of Darts and a custom intake. I burned thru 2 months of my terminal leave waiting for my intake to arrive. In the end the quality just about made up for the wait. As far as his prices go they may seem high at first but you really need to look at what your getting.

As far as your issue with the intake goes, I'm sorry its turning out this way. My experience was slightly better.

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
That's him and his dad.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by airflowdevelop
Some things that might help clear the air.

When I was told I would receive the intake manifold...and when I received it spanned almost 4 months. In my industry spring is the busiest season. I was asked to turn the manifold around in 2 weeks which would have been possible in the winter but not in the spring unless it was already scheduled for that time.

Lloyd was made aware of this and the decision was made to send it to Bauer due to the time frame Lloyd had availible to him.

BTW... You can stop telling people that you paid me also Josh, as we both know that is not true. At the time Lloyd decided he needed to take another path I was no longer involved in anyway with your project. If you believe that Lloyd should have waited until I had time to do the project then take that up with Lloyd.

Not be ask a dumb question.. But what problems are you seeing with the manifold other then the crack?
well lets make sure that we have one thing clear. when i called you about the intake the first time, it was ordered and sent to Lloyd right away for porting. Past that point i had no control over how fast it got to you so please dont try to blame me for the time frame that you got it in. If you want to blame Lloyd (like you blamed him for cracking the manifold) that is your call

i was never in contact with Bret Bauer, i was in contact with you through Lloyd. i sent a check to Lloyd with the money included that i was told was going to you to convert the intake. i didnt come on here bashing you saying that you treated me like Bret or anything else, just that i was not made aware of the decision to send the intake to Bauer racing engines. So i pay Lloyd, Lloyd paid you, you paid Bret right? i know that you didnt profit from the intake but money changed hands so many times (almost as many as the the blame) that i can only assume that this is how it went.

what problems? the fact that the holes in the intake arent round anymore? the gouges and scratches on the intake? the walls of the bolt holes so thin that theyll probably crack during installation? it looks like it was done with a fisher price tool set.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM
9 Second Club

dude seriously it looks pretty normal, I dont see anything wrong with it

also he is right about the middle bolts hol;es. they wont work with that intake. SBC the holes are moved more inward from the runners. if he puts the hgoles in there you wont be able to get bolts in them they are too close to the runner. I used to have that intake and I just didnt use the center bolts, never had an issue.

Where are the gouges? those marks in the photo dont look like anything to get bent out of shape over....... im jsut saying id use it

Last edited by mdacton; 04-24-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:39 PM

YOU HAD TO WAIT A YEAR FOR A SET OF DARTS and CUSTOM INTAKE!!!

Originally Posted by fex77k
He doesn't deal with customers. I'm not going to say the work he did for me was cheap or fast but then again I have to be worried if their shop wasn't busy. Yea he isn't on hardcore as SStrokerace anymore but his father is under OldStroker is or something close. I had to wait a year for a set of Darts and a custom intake. I burned thru 2 months of my terminal leave waiting for my intake to arrive. In the end the quality just about made up for the wait. As far as his prices go they may seem high at first but you really need to look at what your getting.

As far as your issue with the intake goes, I'm sorry its turning out this way. My experience was slightly better.

That's him and his dad.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

they're probably elongated to help make up for the diff. in the deck heights of any block let alone the angle of the cyl heads.. as far as the 8 holes vs 12.. You only need 4 per side since they really only have 2 major points of contact per side. i.e the front two cyl, and back 2 cyl.. so unless you plan on dropping this off a 100 story building, the extra bolts are just baggage..

Love the folk's wanting to inflict physical harm on another person.. i've met more dirt bag people in the military than i have in the real world.. and i did 10yrs ..

Run the intake it will function as was intended.. crack's in the face don't mean nothing again this is just a intake manifold.. if they were important.. they wouldn't be made of plastic nowadays..
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mdacton
i would agree if he had never touched a set of tools before. would you honestly be ok with paying almost $600 for that kind of work?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
they're probably elongated to help make up for the diff. in the deck heights of any block let alone the angle of the cyl heads.. as far as the 8 holes vs 12.. You only need 4 per side since they really only have 2 major points of contact per side. i.e the front two cyl, and back 2 cyl.. so unless you plan on dropping this off a 100 story building, the extra bolts are just baggage..

Love the folk's wanting to inflict physical harm on another person.. i've met more dirt bag people in the military than i have in the real world.. and i did 10yrs ..

Run the intake it will function as was intended.. crack's in the face don't mean nothing again this is just a intake manifold.. if they were important.. they wouldn't be made of plastic nowadays..
yeah like i said, physical violence isnt an option.. i have too much to lose.

the motor is costing around 12 grand, i would appreciate if it visually appeared that way. i would be ok if i nickled and dimed Bret and paid next to nothing for the conversion, because it looks like it was done for next to nothing.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 86formula
yeah like i said, physical violence isnt an option.. i have too much to lose.

the motor is costing around 12 grand, i would appreciate if it visually appeared that way. i would be ok if i nickled and dimed Bret and paid next to nothing for the conversion, because it looks like it was done for next to nothing.
12k on a motor and your using a vic e? shoulda went for the super vic.. no offense.. what is a piece of aluminum not designed to fit somthing your trying to stick it on supposed to look like? the issues your complaining of will not be seen nor affect anything...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mdacton

also he is right about the middle bolts hol;es. they wont work with that intake. SBC the holes are moved more inward from the runners. if he puts the hgoles in there you wont be able to get bolts in them they are too close to the runner. I used to have that intake and I just didnt use the center bolts, never had an issue.

Where are the gouges? those marks in the photo dont look like anything to get bent out of shape over....... im jsut saying id use it

that is exactly what i told him over on cz28, but he just keeps changing his mind about what exactly the problem is. and he has people flaming me that dont even know what is going on

you cant post there but at least take a look

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749184
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
12k on a motor and your using a vic e? shoulda went for the super vic.. no offense.. what is a piece of aluminum not designed to fit somthing your trying to stick it on supposed to look like? the issues your complaining of will not be seen nor affect anything...
I suppose that you know more than Lloyd who told me to go with the Vic E.... its supposed to look like i paid $600 for it and like he cares about his work

Quick Reply: Machine shop issues