LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I guess im getting old

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all them head aces these lt1's come w/ man. Probably should take a break and come back when your heart is ready. You know it will cause like you said its your passion.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i feel you when i was teens and early 20s i would work on a car in any weather an anywhere..didnt matter now im not like that..i understand about back problems i got a bad back also but it didnt bug me as much when i was younger..i could lean over the hood and in the engine bay all day and night now if i do it for 10 mins or so my back starts locking up on me...phucking old age..lol..

I got my car sitting in my garage and i just keep putting it off cause im buying parts left and right and i dont feel like ripping into it for every part install..i would just rather do it all at once..if i was in my teens it would of already had **** installed..
Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Village Troll

Received 535 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
I walk in there, look at it, then walk away!
Did something like that just yesterday. Putting in a new cluch, got all the assembly bolted up, mounted transmission and just couldn't finish bolting up the transmission. Now it's sitting there, stabbed but not bolted up. I could've had everything done in maybe a half hour, but I felt I just needed to take a break. Now I won't be able to work on it again for another four days.
At your age I was still pretty involved, but not so much anymore.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What's wrong with you all? I'm 30 (well in a couple months) and I feel better than I did at 18.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

I have a bad back as well. Two disc herniations on L4 and L5. I really need surgery. I have been going through injections for 2 years with no luck. My back caused me to get out of shape. Maybe thats another reason it is harder for me to get motivated.
ah well thats another story all together then. I guess we're sorta in the same boat, L4 & L5 are the same ones that are bulging on me tho not herniated, thats really gotta suck! too bad I didn't live near you, I could help you and you could help me? lol.. take things in small steps I guess, hour here, hour there.. and before you know it you'll be barreling down the track!!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
What's wrong with you all? I'm 30 (well in a couple months) and I feel better than I did at 18.
Welllll when you play junior college football, semi-pro football, get hit by a train(literally), had your share of fights.....it takes a toll on the old bod.

My back is TOAST. Two pinched disks, one completely gone and the vertabrae are fusing themsleves, badly pinched ciatic nerve, neck is fused together.

Its damn tough to get under that car sometimes. Its losing its luster.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Launching!

My almost 40 year old *** can relate well to what has been said in this thread...
Old 04-23-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wink

I'm 42 and I feel great !!!! P)
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Village Troll

Well when you are a shark hunter and have had all of your limbs bit off and sewn back on as well as missing a few digits, six ribs and a ******** you just don't seem to have the same kind of motivation you once had...

Last edited by SS RRR; 04-23-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Well when you are a shark hunter and have had all of your limbs bit off and sewn back on as well as missing a few digits, six ribs and a ******** you just don't seem to have the same kind of motivation you once had...
I had a dog like that i named lucky.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm the same way, like the car a lot, but zero motivation to work on it.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Village Troll

Forgot.. the sharks had lazers on their heads. Many of them were Grand Master Ninjas.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm probably the youngest with back issues. I blame cockiness at the gym (rather, stupidity than anything).
Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I'm probably the youngest with back issues. I blame cockiness at the gym (rather, stupidity than anything).
yea you beat me(24). I blame doing a type of fishing that was too brutal for me. picking and stacking 200bushels daily that weigh 80lbs each takes it toll, it doesn't help that I broke my L2 vertebrae as a kid either.

we should form a non-profit to hire mechanics for us busted up gear heads course like any other non-profit we could pay ourselves massive salaries for running it
Old 04-24-2010, 06:08 AM
10 Second Club

Well,

Im 33, been married 7 years, two wonderful kids, nice home, nice vehicles...etc. I did not have that 10 years ago. So I guess priorities have changed big time! LOL!

I have a bad back as well. Two disc herniations on L4 and L5. I really need surgery. I have been going through injections for 2 years with no luck. My back caused me to get out of shape. Maybe thats another reason it is harder for me to get motivated.
I am right there with you minus the back trouble. I don't have time to work on my heap. It sitting in the garage with a freshly reworked intake and new TB waiting on alternator relocation, battery relocation, stainless headers and ABS delete. I even tried to take 2 days off work to work on it but other things (new baby, sick wife) keep pulling me away.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm trying, one last time, to fix all the damned oil leaks on my '96 Z-28. Once again, I pulled the tranny, etc. out, to change the rear main, got the oil pan off for new gaskets, and right now I'm trying to work up the ambition to go out in the garage and pull the water pump, Opti, and front cover off, so I can replace all those oil seals. I started this past Wednesday afternoon, after I got home from work, by getting the car up on the jack stands.

A couple of days ago, and old friend of mine, who now lives in Florida, e-mailed me, looking for some old racing pictures. I was telling him what I was up to, and how I wish I was 30 again, as I'd have this thing done in a day or two at most. Like most guys, I started my "auto career" in the driveway, in all sorts of weather (including snow), and even though I now have a pretty good garage, age has taken over and become the limiting factor.

After 58 years on earth, the back and arms take a beating, when crawling in and out from under the car, and the neck really aches from working with your arms always in an upward direction......

All of you young guys.....enjoy your youth while you still have it!!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

10 years ago I could take out my engine, dissasemble, re-asemble, and re-install in one day. I could do a heads-cam swap in half a day. I could do major stuff like that with no worries.

Fast forward to today. Now I work at a snails pace on the car. More maticulus and careful. But more of just can't keep the pace I used too. Right now there is a ton of work I need to do on the car. The hardest part for me is getting in the garage and getting started on it. I walk in there, look at it, then walk away!

Wish I had the energy from 10-15 years ago. My car would already be back on the track making passes by now.

Tony I think your just approaching your work differently. I too could go faster but choose to try to do things to the best ability. This is what separates us from china made. LOL
Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Ouch, back problems are the worst! I've had lower back issues for a couple of years from when I used to lift. Now if I stand for too long or get up from laying down too quick, it really, really hurts. I'm only 21. Word of advice, don't chew more than you think you can handle when it comes to lifting.
You gotta push yourself when you lift, if your doing more weight then you think you can handle, chalk up, strap up, belt up and wrap up to support the weak points.

Ive never done that being as I lift raw 100% of the time. But many times ive seen guys deadlift and look like there gonna snap in two
Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Nah I just turned 21 and I feel 10x better then I did at 18, body still growing.

But women are like fine wine, get better with age...am i right? lol
Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

to the old guys (above 30) go get your testosterone levels checked by your family doctor.
then get on some good b vitamins and a little product called quake by scivation. that will bump up your energy levels also. trust me i know the pains of getting old. you guys with back issues, that aren't fused together yet, ever go to a chiropractor? they do actually help or hang upside down for a few minutes every day.

Quick Reply: I guess im getting old