LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edelbrock AirGap port work before and after plus random LT1 intakes that we ported

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i was told by some one whos done some lt1 super stock cars that the best as cast intake to use for a lt1 is the 93 model yr..i was told i should be using this one if i was going to go after the bolt on record with efi..

anyone with a 93 feel like trading now for my 94..lol
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
i was told by some one whos done some lt1 super stock cars that the best as cast intake to use for a lt1 is the 93 model yr..i was told i should be using this one if i was going to go after the bolt on record with efi..

anyone with a 93 feel like trading now for my 94..lol
Yeah the 93 as stock look to be the best as cast and the best ported. The first 93 intake we ported my father didnt want to let it go as it looks unreal how much more volume is actually inside the plenum.

This is a picture of a LT4 next to a LT1, I think it came from GIZMO or Capricemgr when people were tyring to say how much better a LT4 was

This is just a crappy cell picture but you can see how much better the 92-93 looks for aftermarfet or ported heads.

I have a bone stock 93 Im going to start porting today after work so I will get some good pictures with a bore guage and the same with a 94-97 to show the major difference. I could even block all of the runners off and EGR/PCV holes and possibly do a volume test in cc's to get the exact plenum size difference. I still need to run into a taper port 94-97 and show you guys how much different it really is internally. I wouldnt have believed it but machinist tools used correctly dont lie, and my eye can tell after opening up so many.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wht97ws6ta
As bad as it sounds i just cut the top off of my intake in the bandsaw, did all the port work and welded the top back on and ground the welds back smooth. Cant even tell it with the fuel rails on. Makes porting these intakes so much better.
Yeah Im ready to band saw them off also but only thing is my best friend and little brother to me that welded with the best of them offed him self

Smily is a little harsh but he would have laughed about it or probably is Once I find a legit aluminum welder or get some argon for our mig Im going to hold off on band saw. Plus this gives my father and I a reason to tell both my mother and my wife we need a plasma cutter
Old 04-27-2010, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

This intake I have ported maybe about 4-5 years ago before I figured out not to cut the cross section so massive wide. It ran very well but could have been better if the horizontal cross section was not takin so far.

It came out to 1.24" when finished pretty much right up to a stock plastic gasket, the felpro's are about .20-.24 wider and even worse if gasket matched to them. I used Belzona super metal to seal up the out side of the casting as you can see after getting very aggressive on wanting a straight port roof.

You can see how much of the skislope/hump behind injector on roof was takin down to require epoxy/welding work.

After paint it looks stealth as hell though since I sanded down all of the epoxy to hide it

Now when we do the cross section the best way is to gasket match the inner port divider as every gasket is the same in this area. Then take a micrometer and measure from inner port divider wall to outside port wall and mark your two spots to your required horizontal cross section size then hit it with a straight edge and scribe your cut marks. After the scribe marks are done I like to take a red or black sharpy and color in that area since this makes a nice visual for cutting out, sort of like coloring book in reverse as your taking color out. I always shoot for a 1.18"-1.24" max horizontal cross section but it really is only correct when matching direct to the cylinder head intake port. Like I said before the roof and floor usually never need raised or lowered but every couple intakes will be off casted about a 1/8" on the roof to where they can be raised to match even a stock LT1 head.

The tapered port LT1 intakes just need the widest spot at port floor to be micrometered there and make the same measurment up top to make your scribe mark. That way you can work that tapered outside port wall to match the floor where they are same dimension as a square intake. This will get you a really nice looking square port out of your tapered intake.

If you look at the picture of this tapered intake you can see how much reshaping was needed to make it look like a square port intake. Also this is one of the most pore and air bubble filled casting's I have come across as you can tell in the picture. Those are not chatter marks from the bit but pores in it from shoddy casting or cheaper aluminum composition.

Also for fun this is my new topend Im throwing on my set of 21* trickflows.
I actually sold this victor jr and picked up a cleaner vicjr casting off of my buddy so I have a less mutilated intake to work with. Its a custom built pro-system's carb built by Patrick that WET flows 780cfm, Im doing the bolt hole conversion and all of my own porting to it anbd my heads when I get time for it. Going to use that 85551 mechanical advance Pro-billit and 6AL, yeah no opti as if they were so bad.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

im suprised you didnt get a 2926 for intake to use seeing thats the best super victor to get and port..after that comes the dart..but if you really got the cash its the mopar 420 intake you want to run..but just the casting if you can find it is 800-1k..lol

heres a pic of one on nmca prostock racer butch kemps motor..motor made around 950hp n/a an was ran on none oxygenated race gas..an yes its a 23 degree peice..butch ran a 5.2x in the 1/8th with it at 2600#s

Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
im suprised you didnt get a 2926 for intake to use seeing thats the best super victor to get and port..after that comes the dart..but if you really got the cash its the mopar 420 intake you want to run..but just the casting if you can find it is 800-1k..lol

heres a pic of one on nmca prostock racer butch kemps motor..motor made around 950hp n/a an was ran on none oxygenated race gas..an yes its a 23 degree peice..butch ran a 5.2x in the 1/8th with it at 2600#s

Only reason I sticking to these vic jr's is the one in the picture I picked up for a $100 and was easy to hack up to play with. Then my good freind dug his dads victor jr. out of the closet and hooked me up for $75 so I was greatfull for that to save some coin. Plus I could not believe it was so perfect and he only used it for two weekends so about two race days, sad my street car is faster though lol. I do know where a HV1000 Brodix (i think thats the part number) is but I dont want to go to a dominator as Im to deep in this project now. Im going to keep a lookout for a super victor though just to play around with. I feel my 21* trickflows ported and my stock refreshed short block will like the carb signal that the smaller runner vic jr gives me. I only do this for the fun of it so its all good.

If any one wants that Brodix intake let me know and I can hook you up cheap as its sitting at my sisters shop for a $275 or so used in perfect shape.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol i feel you man..im actual going after the bolt on record and am planing on doing it with a carb..my problem is the damn lt1 carb intake which is the only one i can run cost like 275$ new..an i can get a dang used team g,victor or a new hurrican for 75-125$ so in one hand im like bolt on record fun hell yeah but in my other im going 275$ for a intake im only going to use for this dumb bolt on record is a lil much seeing i would pull it once i got the record and then be shoping for a super vic to use..

you know the specs for the washer to use for the 1st gen intake onto these lt1..iv heard there like 20 degrees or so..im planing on getting the washers they sell with the pro products hurrican intakes to use on the center 4 bolt whole,which its a 30 degree angle washer and just modding them to work.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Im not sure on the washer angle, I thought about counter sinking my intake bolt holes and trying that but will probably go to the washer trick for now. Im pretty sure there was a thread on here that had the tapered washer part numbers and place to pick them up. Im just going to take brass pipe and cut it at what ever angle I come up with when mocking them up.

To many buns in the oven at this point to mock up my vic's.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol man your telling me im not the only one who uses copper an brass pipe to make ****..i use it for spacers all the time..piece of copper plumbing pipe and a washer on each end works great everytime..

heres the link to the washer that where in the thread once..but they never gave the right angle for them in it..said they just moded these.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-52110/
Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

stockta is a real good guy to work with ....... a+
Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOme cool info and big thumbs up for the pics !! ANyone ever measure the volume of one of these? would be nice actually have #s on these intakes to see the stock volume of LT1/4 vs edelcrap. I mean edelbrock. ANyone ever extrude hone one of these? I dropped off a friends Import intake once and it came back looking amazing. the hone did so much work and he touched it up himself for final detailing.

In some articles I remember because of the raised runners the LT4 injectors were supposed to be firing at a slightly different angle or location. Can you verify this? it sure looks different in the pics where you compare the 93-LT4. The 93s aren't very desireable because the fuel lines are supposed to be better on the 94+ with the crossover at the front. I still have my 93 vette intake lying in the garage.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:01 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sold my 93 LT1 intake manifold to someone.

There's a lot of really good information in this thread.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love the work. Very nice.

How much HP do you think you could get a LT1 intake to support??
Old 03-22-2018, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pictures

Originally Posted by STOCKTA
Wanted to show you guys some of the port work father and I have been pulling off in the last two months. I have ported everything I can get my hands on for the last 15 years and father has been porting for over 25 years.

First off this thing was casted so horrible from the factory, casting shift was off over an 1/8" from one intake port roof to the other side. Also there was huge machine tool marks where the fuel injector holes were cut out as you can see on the before pictures. It was almost like the casting was offset when it was machined, plus there was material in the plenum that was totally uncalled for. Im talking chunks of casting direct in the path of the throttle body holes.

I will let the port work do the talking and let me know what you guys/girls think. There is also some Stock LT1 intakes that are ported just for reference also. Let me know what you think and PM me for info.

This is the machine die and light straight edged scribe marks as to where to cut cross section and shape of customers head ports.

After shot of port work

Just for fun pile of aluminum we are going to send back to customer lol

Here is some pictures of a 92-93 intake we just shipped out Thursday Its black metalic color

Pics of a 94-97 we finished about two weeks ago

Can someone re post these pictures. I really want to see the differences.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock AirGap port work before and after plus random LT1 intakes that we ported