LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

CAI mod or stick with SS Air Intake System?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=StealthFormula;13273355][QUOTE=Tampa_97_SS;13273329]
Originally Posted by SS RRR
the overwhelming consensus is the SS ram air intake is located in a dead spot on the hood and is not effective until high rates of speed.

The stock MAF is actually not a restriction at your level by any means so I would just leave that be. Once you start switching MAF's on these cars it becomes a hassle to tune them right. As for the intake elbow, off the top of my mind I can think of Vortech and Trick Flow that make them for our cars. You could probaly have either one of them powdercoated red no problem.
Originally Posted by SS RRR
It could be because this stuff was debated some 10 plus years ago. There might be some existing threads on cz28.com however... Stock MAF and stock elbow will accommodate all the flow you need.

Thank you very much guys. Yeah the car is stock for the time being so if i dont need a new MAF then im good with that. I will get myself an aftermarket elbow tho, simply because its a bit more apealing to the eyes.

But i looked into Airfoils, this would be a decent mod along with the CAI right? From what i read, it helps channel airflow into the Throttle Body better, so it cant do any harm and i shouldnt have to tune the car after I install it right?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Tampa_97_SS;13273555][QUOTE=StealthFormula;13273355]
Originally Posted by Tampa_97_SS

Thank you very much guys. Yeah the car is stock for the time being so if i dont need a new MAF then im good with that. I will get myself an aftermarket elbow tho, simply because its a bit more apealing to the eyes.

But i looked into Airfoils, this would be a decent mod along with the CAI right? From what i read, it helps channel airflow into the Throttle Body better, so it cant do any harm and i shouldnt have to tune the car after I install it right?

In all honesty an airfoil may be worth like 2-3rwhp max. In my opinion it's not worth the $$. If you can find a used one for say $15-20 then go for it but $45-50 for a new one is just not too cost effective in my mind. And no you won't need to adjust the tune for it. We're pretty fortunate, our stock TB's, MAF's and manifolds can push some serious power before they become a restriction, complete opposite from 4.6/5.0 Mustangs which alot people seem to be use to.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I will sleep on the Airfoil idea. Maybe ill find one used for cheap. The SLP is $37 new.

Down the road, when its time to get some head and intake work done...will the SLP airfoil work with a larger (58mm) throttle body?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you change your ram air to cai, just make sure you don't throw it away. Those things are rare and will help your car retain it's value...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Launching!

oh for sure....i was planning on keeping it.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Toronto LT1
GMHTP ran a 13.31 @ 107 in an LT1 SS on radial tires in their Feb 2006 issue.as for the Mustang,well...

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...bra/index.html

"Just a week before our comparison, we tested the very same Camaro SS and came away with a best ET of 13.31/107 on radial tires. Our sister publication, Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords had also tested a nearly identical Cobra Mustang the week before and went 14.09 at 100 mph. The Cobra, owned by 5L drag legend "Nitrous" Pete Misinsky, was later treated to a set of 3.73 gears (more on this later) and managed a 13.80/103 with radials on the quarter-mile at Atco, New Jersey. MM&FF had tested a Cobra engineering mule at Detroit Dragway earlier in the year and came away with a 13.62/100 using Mickey Thompson 26x8.5-inch slicks and the stock 3.27 gearing."

i'd still ditch the SS intake for a CAI,though.
Yep those LT1 SS's have suprised a lot of people. My old sebring car wen't 13.6-13.7 at 104/5 consistantly. I had people telling me my car wasn't stock and that I had something done to it, when in reality I had just purchased it from it's original 70 y.o. owner stock down to the paper filter. Not your typical Z28 for sure.

But yeah this subject has been beat to death so moving on.

Last edited by ARCTIC '00; 05-02-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Launching!

lol yeah watching that old video clip that was posted was super cool...sure was a clean red SS LT1!! Wished the previous owners hadn't been so rough on mine..but she will get there.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will sleep on the Airfoil idea. Maybe ill find one used for cheap. The SLP is $37 new.

Down the road, when its time to get some head and intake work done...will the SLP airfoil work with a larger (58mm) throttle body?
Most every aftermarket throttle body includes an airfoil design into the casting. Take a look at the Holley for example:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...58mmholley.jpg
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw a red powdercoated elbow listed on summit's site a couple days ago. Can't remember if it was summit brand or trickflow.

I can't speak as to which is better, but I say stow away the original ram air and run the CAI.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not trying to feed this fire... but then again.... here is a post from another message board. this post was made by Dave Hamburger the son of SLP founder, and father of the firehawk Ed Hamburger. Ed also created the SS camaros from 96-02. this was copied and pasted directly from the site with no changes.

Whenever we would test a vehicle, we would test at Englishtown, NJ during March in optimal conditions.

We used an average of three drivers (magazine, a professional and an SLP tech) - the average time would be the printed time.

The F-bodies are all over the board with times, I remember in '97 we tested a bone stock SS 6spd car and the average time we pulled was somewhere in the 13.38's. Scott Kallita (top fuel driver) got in the car and then ripped out a 12.27 and he backed it up with a 12.29! (we didn't advertise that time). In 1999, I drove a bone stock Formula Firehawk six speed at Napierville Dragway outside of Montreal. Out of the box I ran 13.30's and then with my slicks I ran a 13.05.

Sea Level, Barometric Pressure, Track Conditions, Driver capabilities and the car all play a part in your ET's. Just because you may be in Denver at Bandimere Speedway and you run a 14.40 doesn't mean your car is slow. Adjust the ET based on your altitude and you may be surprized!

-Dave
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by firehawk238
The F-bodies are all over the board with times, I remember in '97 we tested a bone stock SS 6spd car and the average time we pulled was somewhere in the 13.38's. Scott Kallita (top fuel driver) got in the car and then ripped out a 12.27 and he backed it up with a 12.29! (we didn't advertise that time).
I assume that's a typo and suppose to be 13.27/13.29. That was good driving for sure.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the times in my sig with the stock ss air box on the car. All I did was cut the baffles out of the hood.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have absolutely NO testing to back up this theory, but from looking at different CAI's...including Moroso and K&N which are supposed to be two of the better ones....it seems to me they have a tight squeeze just in front of the MAF that would be somewhat of a restriction? I realize this is necessary for fitment reasons. I know the ram air box has to make 2 hard 90 bends before reaching the MAF, but they maintain decent size and shape. Would they be that much worse than the single 90 bend and tight squeeze that the CAI's have ??
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Tampa_ 97_ SS,
I have a 96Z28SS. I changed the original setup with a K&N CAI and a full custom exhaust and dyno tune. I'm very pleased with the K&N! If you decide to change it...keep all your original parts...they're prized possessions! I have dyno sheets to back it up, but I never compared it at the drag strip...I kinda wish I had done it. Good luck buddy!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jlo's 96 Z28SS
Tampa_ 97_ SS,
I have a 96Z28SS. I changed the original setup with a K&N CAI and a full custom exhaust and dyno tune. I'm very pleased with the K&N! If you decide to change it...keep all your original parts...they're prized possessions! I have dyno sheets to back it up, but I never compared it at the drag strip...I kinda wish I had done it. Good luck buddy!
Did you do back to back testing with just the stock ram-air vs. K&N, or did you install everything at once and then put it on the dyno?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the car was rear ended back in 98..so its been without the SS Spoiler ever since...and I have the ZR1's...previous owner just rattle canned them flat black..they were pretty bad..lol...just waiting to get them powder coated.
well if you want an 97 LT1 oem SS spoiler I have on for sale I can do 350.00 shipped pm me if your interested....
Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Did you do back to back testing with just the stock ram-air vs. K&N, or did you install everything at once and then put it on the dyno?
Everything was done at the same time and custom dyno tuned afterwards.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I have absolutely NO testing to back up this theory, but from looking at different CAI's...including Moroso and K&N which are supposed to be two of the better ones....it seems to me they have a tight squeeze just in front of the MAF that would be somewhat of a restriction? I realize this is necessary for fitment reasons. I know the ram air box has to make 2 hard 90 bends before reaching the MAF, but they maintain decent size and shape. Would they be that much worse than the single 90 bend and tight squeeze that the CAI's have ??
I thought about this too. But like i said, im going to keep my stock parts and give the CAI a try. If anything else, it will run the same and ill just make some room under the hood..lol.

Originally Posted by Jlo's 96 Z28SS
Tampa_ 97_ SS,
Thanks man! My car still needs a general tune up, some good exhaust, and other minor bolt on mods. So im not expecting a HUGE difference right off the bat. Like i said above, if it runs the same then ill atleast have made some room under the hood..lol.

Originally Posted by 97camaross
well if you want an 97 LT1 oem SS spoiler I have on for sale I can do 350.00 shipped pm me if your interested....
Yeah i saw that you had one for sale. However, it may be a little bit untill i get everything else done on the car..but i will send you a pm when that time comes to see if you still have it.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Launching!

By the way, i just made a deal with suicideracing..he was the member who had a K&N CAI for sale. So i will post pics and give an update of the set up and how the car runs after the install. Ive said it a couple times, im not expecting a HUGE difference...but none the less, im ready to clean the engine bay up a bit. So we will see. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions so far!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

take the car to sunshine..make back to back hits after a cool down period though..

you can do your ss vs k&n and then k&n with no filter if you want..

Quick Reply: CAI mod or stick with SS Air Intake System?