LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel pump???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump???

i am going to be changing my fuel pump cause it went bad and i want to go to the walbro 255.

Where can i get the walbro 255 pump with the install kit?
I heard some people say the racetronix kit is good but where do i get it?
Also how much is the whole kit?

thanks guys
Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thunderacing has it but takes a long time for them to ship it.
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=165

You can also try LPA i havent got it from them but i heard they sell the racetronix walbro 255 and kit.
http://www.lonniesperformance.com/
Old 05-07-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1C3 MAN
I heard some people say the racetronix kit is good but where do i get it?
type racetronix into google and hit im feeling lucky
Old 05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you going to drop the tank or tackle the through-the-hatch method?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Are you going to drop the tank or tackle the through-the-hatch method?
What is the through the hatch method? Do you got to cut a hole in the floor? I just figured out that my fuel pump is bad as well. Kind of strange cause i hear it running when the key is on, but a pressure gauge reads 0lbs. Although it sounds like the pump is laboring right before it shuts off, like it is building pressure? Any input? I tried it on she Schrader valve behind the plenum, and hooked it up by the fuel filter and got no reading at all.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
What is the through the hatch method? Do you got to cut a hole in the floor? I just figured out that my fuel pump is bad as well. Kind of strange cause i hear it running when the key is on, but a pressure gauge reads 0lbs. Although it sounds like the pump is laboring right before it shuts off, like it is building pressure? Any input? I tried it on she Schrader valve behind the plenum, and hooked it up by the fuel filter and got no reading at all.
It is what it sounds like...here's the hole cut on my car:

And an install I did on a buddies car:

Old 05-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Oh i like the looks of that! I like it a lot! I was contemplating doing it like that but i never had the tank out before so i wouldn't have known where to cut the hole. Hmm what did you cut the hole with? I got a 4in grinder with plenty of cut off wheels, but that is just asking for a pretty substantial explosion. I'm not trying to end up disfigured for life here.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Oh and how did you get the lines unhooked to pull the sending unit and pump out of the tank?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've used both a Dremel and an air-powered cut-off wheel.

The risk of fire is incredibly low; you'd have to be captain fumble-fingers to cut through the fuel lines. There is about 1" of clearance between the sheet metal and the fuel lines. As long as you don't go too deep you'll be fine (Use a Dremel if you're that concerned about it. It can only go so deep because the cutoff wheels are so small in diameter).

Some people opt to cut the top left corner out even further, but I didn't feel the need to as I disconnected everything just fine. You can make the call when you get there. Once they are disconnected it will come out with minor finagling.

Dropping the fuel tank is a real pain in the ***. I'd never do it any other way.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I've used both a Dremel and an air-powered cut-off wheel.

The risk of fire is incredibly low; you'd have to be captain fumble-fingers to cut through the fuel lines. There is about 1" of clearance between the sheet metal and the fuel lines. As long as you don't go too deep you'll be fine (Use a Dremel if you're that concerned about it. It can only go so deep because the cutoff wheels are so small in diameter).

Some people opt to cut the top left corner out even further, but I didn't feel the need to as I disconnected everything just fine. You can make the call when you get there. Once they are disconnected it will come out with minor finagling.

Dropping the fuel tank is a real pain in the ***. I'd never do it any other way.
Haha i am pretty steady with a grinder, have to be or i would have no business working with metal for a living. Just hoping that there is no holes rusted through the top of the sender or anything. I just filled that damn thing right to the top with gas this morning. Oh well. That is the way i was hoping i could do it, i didn't want to have to get a whole saw out and start blindly drilling holes in my car looking for the sending unit either. And it looked just like you said, " a real pain in the *** " to do it from the bottom. Thank you for the help, it will save me a huge headache.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Not the full article I was looking for, but a pic from it; the measurements I used to locate and cut mine:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/photo14.html

Edit: Holy crap... that's Joe's article... just spotted the same level in both pictures. Thanks, Joe for posting that way back when. I used it to do mine in December.

Last edited by Gojira94; 05-07-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: props...
Old 05-08-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Not the full article I was looking for, but a pic from it; the measurements I used to locate and cut mine:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/photo14.html

Edit: Holy crap... that's Joe's article... just spotted the same level in both pictures. Thanks, Joe for posting that way back when. I used it to do mine in December.
Yep...that was forever ago. Glad it helped you!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to a real good price. I've bought Two from these guys. Mike the owner is a real good guy.
http://neweraperformanceparts.com/de...KV=walcamaro|0
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by madball
Here is a link to a real good price. I've bought Two from these guys. Mike the owner is a real good guy.
http://neweraperformanceparts.com/de...KV=walcamaro|0
My brother lives real close to that place. Do you know if that comes with the wiring harness? I read somewhere that the 255 needs more power than the stock pump and you have to run new wires?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump???