LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 PCM question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 PCM question.

Just wanna make sure before I move forward...

A PCM from an AUTO 96 or 97 LT1 Camaro WILL NOT work with a 97 M6 LT1 Camaro correct??
Old 05-09-2010, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
Just wanna make sure before I move forward...

A PCM from an AUTO 96 or 97 LT1 Camaro WILL NOT work with a 97 M6 LT1 Camaro correct??
To use a computer from one type transmission to another type you need to change the tune. The PCM will throw codes for trans errors TCC, Trans Temps, Vss etc if you use an A4 tune unchanged in an M6

Good luck
Old 05-09-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you will have a bitch of a time fighting the reverse lockout until its tuned for an M6.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

When I get my new computer I am Driving my car with the current computer to my tuner. I am going to turn my car off, take the current computer out, put the new A4 computer in, and before the car is even started my tuner is going to go into the computer with LT1 Edit and get it as close as possible to my setup.

So all he has to do it change the settings in the PCM and thats it?? I can buy one and after its tuned it will be EXACTLY the same as my current PCM?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

When I get my new computer I am Driving my car with the current computer to my tuner. I am going to turn my car off, take the current computer out, put the new A4 computer in, and before the car is even started my tuner is going to go into the computer with LT1 Edit and get it as close as possible to my setup.

So all he has to do it change the settings in the PCM and thats it?? I can buy one and after its tuned it will be EXACTLY the same as my current PCM?
...get it as close as possible to my setup?

He can load the same tune that is in your computer now...then correct it if needed.

EXACTLY the same as my current PCM?

Well you will not be able to tell a difference between two cmputers (that are operating properly) with the same tune in them.

What is your real question? Why are you changing the computer?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

When I say "get it as close as possible to my setup" I mean that the CURRENT tune in my computer is not tuned to my current setup i.e. the heads, new cam, 58mm TB, etc. So he will get it as close as he can to my current engine setup and then we can put it on the dyno and go from there.

When I say "Exactly the same as my current PCM" I mean the A4 and M6 PCM's are the exact same, the only differences are in the tune, and you can tune an A4 PCM to an M6 PCM and it would be the exact same as buying a PCM that was originally from an M6 car correct?

As for whats going on:

We tried to tune my PCM Friday. When he hooked up to it with LT1 Edit using the cable coded to my cars VIN number, it gave us a Checksum error and would not let him into my PCM AT ALL to even SEE the current settings. He couldnt pull up ANYTHING to include the VIN out of my PCM. This computer was mailed to Madtuner about a year ago and he did a mail-order tune on it for my OLD engine combo. I have not tried to have it tuned since I got it back...Friday was the first time anyone had tried.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

When I say "get it as close as possible to my setup" I mean that the CURRENT tune in my computer is not tuned to my current setup i.e. the heads, new cam, 58mm TB, etc. So he will get it as close as he can to my current engine setup and then we can put it on the dyno and go from there..
The tuner should be able to guess a tune that is closer than stock or another tune that is wrong. That is what mail order tunes are...

When I say "Exactly the same as my current PCM" I mean the A4 and M6 PCM's are the exact same, the only differences are in the tune, and you can tune an A4 PCM to an M6 PCM and it would be the exact same as buying a PCM that was originally from an M6 car correct?
Yes the tune can be changed for different transmissions and many engine differences.

As for whats going on:

We tried to tune my PCM Friday. When he hooked up to it with LT1 Edit using the cable coded to my cars VIN number, it gave us a Checksum error and would not let him into my PCM AT ALL to even SEE the current settings. He couldnt pull up ANYTHING to include the VIN out of my PCM. This computer was mailed to Madtuner about a year ago and he did a mail-order tune on it for my OLD engine combo. I have not tried to have it tuned since I got it back...Friday was the first time anyone had tried.
Sounds like your old PCM is having problems. Good that you found it before going to the dyno and possibly losing the corrections.

Good luck
Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the help man. I appreciate it! I think I have decided to go to OBD1 though. That way I dont have to pay 100 for a tuning cable, and then 50 to 100 for an OBD2 PCM, and then 250 for the dyno tune...now its just 25 for a knock sensor, 50 for an OBD1 PCM, and 250 for the yno tune.

Quick Reply: LT1 PCM question.