LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake Mod Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Mod Question.

I searched, could not find the answer I was looking for. What are the pros and cons of modifying your intake setup on a stock block. I am talking about both modifying an intake with the elbow to the throttle body. And then I have seen people carbing the LT1 as well.

Here is a pic of the of one of the mods I am talking about

I cant find a pic of a Carbed Lt1 ATM. But I have seen them out there.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

installing a single plane intake or carbing the lt1 on a stock block are pointless and would not net any gains IMO. Carbs are much less efficient and as long as you have a good tune you can always make more power and have better fuel economy EFI. The single plane is going to move your powerband up to 6500+ depending on the intake, far past the limitations that stock shortblock can be safely spun consistently.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tpis short ram or the HSR LT1 intake manifold seem to work well im looking into the same thing my buddies stock lt1 in his 85 camaro seem to be pushing out more power so i would buy it
Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a stock, bolt-on, or even a mild heads/cam setup it's a complete waste of money. And I do mean complete.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about a stock bolt on running a SC Setup Tuned for 8PSI?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Then it would be even more of a waste.

What are you looking to do?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Then it would be even more of a waste.

What are you looking to do?
Nothing really, just wondering out of curiosity.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On a stock car no real improvement can be seen from a different intake. Without a cam and heads the motor isn't starved for air by the intake so making it larger and more free flowing will likely do more harm than good. Like putting a 58mm throttle body on a stock car, same thing, it either does very little / nothing / or actually hurts performance.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jazz-LT1
On a stock car no real improvement can be seen from a different intake. Without a cam and heads the motor isn't starved for air by the intake so making it larger and more free flowing will likely do more harm than good. Like putting a 58mm throttle body on a stock car, same thing, it either does very little / nothing / or actually hurts performance.
Although I do agree with you, It seems more like a crap shoot. Just putting on a 58mm TB no, it wont help you. But after I Installed my P&P Intake and 58mm TB with a Mail order tune. I did notice a better more snappy throttle response. Without the tune I have no idea how the car would have reacted to the mod. Of course my car only has 48k miles as well. And was not drove into the ground by some teenager before I got my hands on her.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
installing a single plane intake or carbing the lt1 on a stock block are pointless and would not net any gains IMO. Carbs are much less efficient and as long as you have a good tune you can always make more power and have better fuel economy EFI. The single plane is going to move your powerband up to 6500+ depending on the intake, far past the limitations that stock shortblock can be safely spun consistently.

a carb motor will walk an efi engine from mid range on up any day of the week unless the carb is setup wrong..a carb pulls air threw it and atomizes the fuel better and also cools it slightly..fuel injection doesnt..

a carb intake offers better distribution of air and fuel to the runners of the heads vs the stock intakes we have on these stock engines
Old 05-10-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
a carb motor will walk an efi engine from mid range on up any day of the week unless the carb is setup wrong..a carb pulls air threw it and atomizes the fuel better and also cools it slightly..fuel injection doesnt..

a carb intake offers better distribution of air and fuel to the runners of the heads vs the stock intakes we have on these stock engines
Yeah, I'm not buying that... You cannot say that with absolute certainty.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

1...g.m testest fuel injection vs carb and carb makes more power..its on prosystems site.fuel injection is better because of the efficient part and well most are cruising at 2k an under.

2. the current stock bolt on record holder dyno tested a carb and lt1 carb intake vs the stock **** and guess what the carb made better mid range almost the same and then killed it on the upper end..

now if fuel injection was so much better and badass then why dont you see it on outlaw style prostock cars or any high hp n/a engine..its because they dont..

Now if you think slapping on any single plane with the tallest plenum is going to make more power your dead wrong..you have to match your intake with your heads and cam.

also heres a hint the badest fuel injection cars in the world dont run there injector anything like what our daily drivers or even where the performance intakes put them..

just look at a indy car and where the injectors are at..even pat musi fuel injected motors have the injectors mounted high up..
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Launching!

There are advantages to both carbs and EFI. You can make a TON of power with both set ups. I don't believe that one is better than the other. EFI with a crappy tune is junk. Carb with a crap setup is junk. I ran EFI for many years.(I am not the best tuner) I switched to a carb and picked up a ton. Some is from the better designed intake combinations. I also know that you can tune an EFI system much more precisely over a carb. I do think that there is power to be made in that reason alone. There is also somthing to be said of all the carbs in a racing application. I don't think that all those people still running carbs are doing just because they aren't smart enough. Possibly a cost reason. But GOOD carbs are not cheap either.

Just my dumb $.02

ken
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.pro-system.com/scoop92102.html

look where the injectors are..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2iBbwocYZw
Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a good article. Read.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
1...g.m testest fuel injection vs carb and carb makes more power..its on prosystems site.fuel injection is better because of the efficient part and well most are cruising at 2k an under.

2. the current stock bolt on record holder dyno tested a carb and lt1 carb intake vs the stock **** and guess what the carb made better mid range almost the same and then killed it on the upper end..

now if fuel injection was so much better and badass then why dont you see it on outlaw style prostock cars or any high hp n/a engine..its because they dont..

Now if you think slapping on any single plane with the tallest plenum is going to make more power your dead wrong..you have to match your intake with your heads and cam.

also heres a hint the badest fuel injection cars in the world dont run there injector anything like what our daily drivers or even where the performance intakes put them..

just look at a indy car and where the injectors are at..even pat musi fuel injected motors have the injectors mounted high up..
Many of those points are incorrect or invalid. Its not exactly fair to compare a crappy stock intake to a single plane carbed build on a higher hp car. Also, the gm carb intake made for the LTX is a crappy dual plane, not a single plane. Injector location also cannot be compared when the fuels are totally different. A mist of alcohol does not behave the same as a mist of pump gas. Fuel pressure and injector size plays a big part too...a smaller high PSI injector can have gains over a too large injector trying to attain a short pulsewidth. IIRC Gizmo runs smaller then stock injectors in his SS cars, and notices a benefit.

Competition engines are usually carbed so that the sanctioned events can be more closely controlled. Easier to run restrictor plates under the carb then monitor individual vehicle tunes.

A proper EFI system will make more power then a carb system. It will just be a lot more expensive and difficult. The benefit of tuning and accuracy is worth it IMO - you can't do things like individual cylinder tuning and automatic adjustments for weather conditions with a carb.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Many of those points are incorrect or invalid. Its not exactly fair to compare a crappy stock intake to a single plane carbed build on a higher hp car. Also, the gm carb intake made for the LTX is a crappy dual plane, not a single plane. Injector location also cannot be compared when the fuels are totally different. A mist of alcohol does not behave the same as a mist of pump gas. Fuel pressure and injector size plays a big part too...a smaller high PSI injector can have gains over a too large injector trying to attain a short pulsewidth. IIRC Gizmo runs smaller then stock injectors in his SS cars, and notices a benefit.

Competition engines are usually carbed so that the sanctioned events can be more closely controlled. Easier to run restrictor plates under the carb then monitor individual vehicle tunes.

A proper EFI system will make more power then a carb system. It will just be a lot more expensive and difficult. The benefit of tuning and accuracy is worth it IMO - you can't do things like individual cylinder tuning and automatic adjustments for weather conditions with a carb.
i compared the lt1 carb intake vs the stock deal..well tom did and them where his words..yes i know the lt1 carb intake is a dual plane also..even crappy dual planes offer better fuel distribution then the stock intakes..this is shown fully when people who start spraying motor get lean or rich cylinders which exposes the truth how these intake aint the best and a good dual plane or single will work better in a f/i deal or carb..an no im not just talking about high hp cars im talking about bolt on cars would even benifit from this..now like i said could you lose power and stuff hell yes due to the fact that you have to choose the right intake to bolt onto your motor

Building a good working motor isn't about let me grab this part and that and slap it together and think it is going to be a beast because most the time it wont..you have to have all your **** working insink and with each other to gain the ost performance you can out your engine.

as for compition engines yes they are but if you see i said outlaw stuff which in outlaw racing you dont have to play with carb rules and stuff..adrl is an example of a outlaw place to race where keep in mind ihra x prostock drivers race now and they are still running carbs..

will f/i make more power in a biger range yes..but think once your out and off the line and are shifting how big is your rpm window?? only 2500-1500 most the time in a properly set car so now that range is point less and its already proven the carbs make more power on the upper end of the rpms..

you can tune the corners on the carbs to tune each runner also on a good carb? so that takes out the tunning per cylinder your saying..

you ever look at some braswil split domintors or even just a big single 1500cfm..theres alot of trick ****..heres a fact,you have guys who build 40-100k n/a all out motors who have the budget to test and try things but yet you dont see f/i on them..why is that because the link joe posted has warren johnson saying it all,,carbs make more power.

as for the injectors above yes in alky or gas that design makes more power and works better,you wont see it in gas engine though but me and some people talked about making a setup like that for testing on single plane intakes..problem is getting the couple thou we need for testing an stuff

now giz car yeah i know he went with a smaller injector..

Quick Reply: Intake Mod Question.