LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LPP Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
IMO...its always a good idea to check the header flanges with a strait edge for warpage or imperfections, if needed lay headder flange flat on a large belt sander to help correct/straiten surface so it mates with gasket/head properly .
<~Mike~>
that is a damn good idea thank you sir
Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meen95z
My buddy just bought a set of the 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 stepped LPP longtubes in March and Id never buy a set. Id get the Edelbrock Stepped longtubes, kooks or hedmans. He ordered a set, look great, but the fitment sucked, they leaked, had to notch the kmember and had to use a jack to get the bolt holes to line up. I guess they had a Gen 1 set that sucked and a Gen 2 set that were good. Well my buddy paid for the Gen2 and they sent him the shitty Gen1's and he had all these problems and when he tried to contact LPP they refused to get back with him and finally emailed him saying he was **** out of luck. All he wanted was the right headers. Shitty customer service if you ask me. But thats just my 2 cents..
I wouldn't agree with this. I had problems with mine leaking at the collector but I would still choose spending 500 for Lpp's over spending 1000+ on Kooks. No freakin way would I spend that much unless it was for the entire system, Headers to tail pipes. Your going to have issues, how you deal with them is up to the individual person. I have never meet an after market part that fit perfect.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people who install headers run into a fitment issue of some kind regardless of who made the headers. They could be crafted by angels and still requires some creativity and cussing to install them the properly.

The LPP's are an excellent product with some minor fitment issues that can easily resolved. These are the issues I had:
  • #1 primary hitting the steering shaft
  • #8 primary hitting the chassis
  • Right side collector hitting the k-member
To resolve the #1 primary issue, I removed the the steering column bolts at the firewall, elongated the bolt holes toward the passenger side maybe 1/4", reinstalled the bolts and moved the the steering column over 1/4". I also took the telescoping steering shaft apart and lengthened it 3/4" or so which changed the shafts u-joint angles and I now have 3/8" clearance around the primary. Problem solved.

To resolve the #8 primary issue, I beat a dent into the sheet metal with a BFH to provide clearance. Once the header is installed, it is impossible to see the dent. Problem solved.

To resolve the collector issue, I did some grinding on the k-member. Problem solved.

I had zero issues with the LPP flanges. They are the thickest I have ever seen and the bolt holes line up perfect. Once the bolts are loosely installed, there is still enough room in the holes to pitch the header up and down to fine tune tight clearance areas. The gaskets they provide suck and I recently installed some Kooks gaskets and now things are tight again.

The construction of the pipes, the welds and the finish are excellent and I have no regrets with these headers even with the fitment issues considering what they cost. I would do it again if I had to. I had Arizona Speed and marine headers that had the same problems with the #1 and the right collector. I have read countless threads regarding Pacesetter problems. Headers are just one of those things that present challenges to most for various reasons.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Most people who install headers run into a fitment issue of some kind regardless of who made the headers. They could be crafted by angels and still requires some creativity and cussing to install them the properly.

The LPP's are an excellent product with some minor fitment issues that can easily resolved. These are the issues I had:
To resolve the #1 primary issue, I removed the the steering column bolts at the firewall, elongated the bolt holes toward the passenger side maybe 1/4", reinstalled the bolts and moved the the steering column over 1/4". I also took the telescoping steering shaft apart and lengthened it 3/4" or so which changed the shafts u-joint angles and I now have 3/8" clearance around the primary. Problem solved.

To resolve the #8 primary issue, I beat a dent into the sheet metal with a BFH to provide clearance. Once the header is installed, it is impossible to see the dent. Problem solved.

To resolve the collector issue, I did some grinding on the k-member. Problem solved.

I had zero issues with the LPP flanges. They are the thickest I have ever seen and the bolt holes line up perfect. Once the bolts are loosely installed, there is still enough room in the holes to pitch the header up and down to fine tune tight clearance areas. The gaskets they provide suck and I recently installed some Kooks gaskets and now things are tight again.

The construction of the pipes, the welds and the finish are excellent and I have no regrets with these headers even with the fitment issues considering what they cost. I would do it again if I had to. I had Arizona Speed and marine headers that had the same problems with the #1 and the right collector. I have read countless threads regarding Pacesetter problems. Headers are just one of those things that present challenges to most for various reasons.
Similar issues here but I still agree 150% with everything said.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

mine fit pretty damn good. I have a bmr k-member and i didn't get any of the collector issues. My #1 primary rubs a little and I'll elongate the holes on the steering shaft to move it over a bit. It's funny, it doesn't touch looking at it, but apparently it's rubbing (i have poly mounts too).

As for #8, i did the BFH mod and realized it wasn't even necessary. I installed mine while engine was out of car, so my experience slightly different.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
that is a damn good idea thank you sir

WORD!

Originally Posted by jaycenk
I wouldn't agree with this. I had problems with mine leaking at the collector but I would still choose spending 500 for Lpp's over spending 1000+ on Kooks. No freakin way would I spend that much unless it was for the entire system, Headers to tail pipes. Your going to have issues, how you deal with them is up to the individual person. I have never meet an after market part that fit perfect.
X2................

X2

Excellent!

you just cant say anything that hasnt been said now...................
Old 05-25-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

I'm in the process of installing the second gen lpp's. I'm swapping them out with my hooker super comps for added ground clearance. the only issue I had was, like mentioned, the #8 primary was just a little too close for comfort to the frame. I heated it and made a small flat spot just to ensure it doesn't hit. I'll post up some pics tonight
Old 05-26-2010, 12:05 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
I'm in the process of installing the second gen lpp's. I'm swapping them out with my hooker super comps for added ground clearance. the only issue I had was, like mentioned, the #8 primary was just a little too close for comfort to the frame. I heated it and made a small flat spot just to ensure it doesn't hit. I'll post up some pics tonight
Great, I'll be looking forward to it.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
Great, I'll be looking forward to it.
Sorry, I won't get pics till tomorrow night. I have the headers on but still need to install the y-pipe, cutouts, reinstall my wheel wells ( did the wire mod), and finish installing my fluidyne radiator.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

If I had to get a set, im gonna go with the edelbrock stepped headers. About $700-750, but alot better fitment. Still is alot for headers. After dealing with the lpp's we put on my buddies car, I think the $200 more would be worth saving me the headache.. I heard some LPP's fit great, and some fit like crap. So your 50/50 on getting a good set for $500.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I assume all those people with clearance issues with the k-member or frame do not have poly or solid motor mounts...
Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I assume all those people with clearance issues with the k-member or frame do not have poly or solid motor mounts...
If a company is going to build an aftermarket header, why would they build them to work with a poly NON OEM motor mounts which I assume you are implying above.

My rubber mounts are rather new and regardless what mount you use the #8 is still a problem since the cotact is on the side of the pipe.

Bottom line is LPP missed the mark on the two primaries already mentioned and the headers were not tested on enough cars to account for tolerances.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a BMR kmember and I have poly mounts, so my situation is different than anyone else that has posted so far. I'll take some pics when I get under it here shortly. Looking at the design, from underneath, (and mine is the gen 1 set), there is definitely room to move the #8 and the #1 could have been tucked in a little tighter, so I won't say they can't be improved. However, I wouldn't come out and say they missed the mark and that I wouldn't buy these again. For the money, I don't see a better value. I used percy's dead soft gaskets and haven't had issues yet, but who knows, I've got about 1k miles so far on the engine back in the car. Getting the short starter bolt to fit was a major pain in the *** and very hard to get to, I haven't heard anyone say anything about that yet. I used an aftermarket starter from jegs so don't know if that was an issue.

I have a pair of used AS&Ms for 94-95 cars I was going to use but had fitment issues with the BMR kmember. When I compared these side by side, you can see the quality in terms of welds and fit that went into the LPPs. I also installed mine while engine was out of car so maybe I didn't experience any issues because of that (other than my #1 rubbing a bit).

My only other complaint is ground clearance. I can't pull into my favorite oil change place to get an oil change anymore, the primaries are too low and they hit on the pit guards in the oil change place. This may be due to my lowered SLP suspension though....
Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by merim123
i have a BMR kmember and I have poly mounts, so my situation is different than anyone else that has posted so far. I'll take some pics when I get under it here shortly. Looking at the design, from underneath, (and mine is the gen 1 set), there is definitely room to move the #8 and the #1 could have been tucked in a little tighter, so I won't say they can't be improved. However, I wouldn't come out and say they missed the mark and that I wouldn't buy these again. For the money, I don't see a better value. I used percy's dead soft gaskets and haven't had issues yet, but who knows, I've got about 1k miles so far on the engine back in the car. Getting the short starter bolt to fit was a major pain in the *** and very hard to get to, I haven't heard anyone say anything about that yet. I used an aftermarket starter from jegs so don't know if that was an issue.

I have a pair of used AS&Ms for 94-95 cars I was going to use but had fitment issues with the BMR kmember. When I compared these side by side, you can see the quality in terms of welds and fit that went into the LPPs. I also installed mine while engine was out of car so maybe I didn't experience any issues because of that (other than my #1 rubbing a bit).

My only other complaint is ground clearance. I can't pull into my favorite oil change place to get an oil change anymore, the primaries are too low and they hit on the pit guards in the oil change place. This may be due to my lowered SLP suspension though....
I'm right there with ya. I have the BMR k member with a poly mount also. Everything was great minus #8's clearance issue.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

So got mine installed, well 2 weeks ago and just now got back around to trying to clearance for the #8 primary. I tried the bfh but to no avail, whats the best way to get this done with the motor still in the car?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

I used a heat gun to warm up the frame rail and hit it with a BFH. A torch would probably work even better. Motor was still in mine too.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Formula383
I used a heat gun to warm up the frame rail and hit it with a BFH. A torch would probably work even better. Motor was still in mine too.
I suppose my gf's blow dryer wont be enough heat huh haha. How long did it take you to get that contour on yours? I looked at your thread and did the outline but just dont seem to have enough room to get a good swing behind it.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

IMHO I dont see a heat gun heating 14-16 (maybe thicker) guage sheet metal to the point where it is of any value.

Mark the area that needs to be worked, remove the header and beat the **** out of it with a heavy ball peen and baby sledge. I put a 5/16" deep dent in the metal the size of a tennis ball easily with no heat.
Done.

Last edited by wrd1972; 06-01-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

IMHO I dont see a heat gun heating 14-16 (maybe thicker) guage sheet metal to the point where it is of any value.

Mark the area that needs to be worked, remove the header and beat the **** out of it with a heavy ball peen and baby sledge. I put a 5/16" deep dent in the metal the size of a tennis ball easily with no heat.
Done.
It definitely helped. I would heat it for about 2 minutes and hit it about 5 times. I had to repeat that process about 10 times but it got the job done with what I had available. There isn't very much room to get a good swing.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Alright ill add a ball peen hammer to my sledge arsenal and possibly have the blow dryer handy then get to it tomorrow after work, preciate it

Quick Reply: LPP Headers?