LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil level, too high?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you're right, I read none of it...ya caught me.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if yours leaks as much as mine does a little over is a good thing! I got lots of kitty litter but no cat. Sigh.. Few more weeks of saving $$ and that will b a thing of the past.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gregrob
All you people preaching half qt over will cause damage should try it first. Hard corners isn't the only place an lt1 will top pressure due to sudden demand. I run mine half over all the time and it gets 100s of miles a week and it doesn't hurt a thing.
Originally Posted by thehammer69
**** Grob, I ran that thing a half quart over forever before you stole it from me. Makes you wonder if the awesome oil pressure you get compared to others with similar miles has something to do with not starving the bearings of oil during hard acceleration and such during it's life. Of course there was the religious use of high flow & over sized oil filters too.
How many miles have you guys been using a bit extra? I would like to run 1/2 quart over, partially because I plan to get involved in auto x this summer, but have been worried about doing long term damage. Also I notice the mention of over-sized oil filters. Just to double check, its still fine with a regular sized filter, correct? I would run an oversized one but I can't because my headers are in the way.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything over full is "extra" just cost more everytime you change your oil. If the level is high enough it will get aerated by your crank
Old 05-23-2010, 10:10 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
How many miles have you guys been using a bit extra? I would like to run 1/2 quart over, partially because I plan to get involved in auto x this summer, but have been worried about doing long term damage. Also I notice the mention of over-sized oil filters. Just to double check, its still fine with a regular sized filter, correct? I would run an oversized one but I can't because my headers are in the way.
Use a Mobile 1 302 or KN 3002 for the extra capacity on the filter, don't go over a extra half quart and you will be fine.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
The car were both talking about (I bought it from hammer) has 101k on it. Awesome oil pressure and it runs awesome.

Originally Posted by fex77k
Use a Mobile 1 302 or KN 3002 for the extra capacity on the filter, don't go over a extra half quart and you will be fine.
I use the 3002 filter as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:15 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob

I use the 3002 filter as well.
The only thing that sucks about it is the price.

Quick Reply: oil level, too high?