LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where to run all your wires? (Including Tach)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to run all your wires? (Including Tach)

I want to run them nicely and for the power of the tach I have to go through the firewall, so which way should I go through and how can I make it neat? The other wire has to connect to a ground in the engine bay. The tach signal im hooking up to the PCM how can I go about running that under passenger dash neatly? I just wanted to know all this = D.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

follow the factory wire loom through the firewall behind the pcm than along the bottom of the kick panel
Old 05-22-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it depends where you are going to mount the tach? I have mine on the a pillar piece, I put a grommet on it and then put some of that black wire loom on the wire that was still exposed. I took power right from the fuse panel, been that way over six years, grounded under the dash and my signal wire is tied into the coil and MSD 6a wiring. You can't see any of the wiring this way, so its nice and clean.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 PM

It's in the A-Pillar I guess I will do what you do but the tach signal wire I want hooked up to the PCM for certain reasons but so you have a grommet on the A-Piller? Also I wanted to know if anyone had any direct pictures of where to splice the tach signal wire on the PCM?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I just drilled a fairly small hole, I think the inside diameter of the grommet ended up being 1/8" maybe? Then I put black wire loom on the rest of the harness that was sticking out. I did this as last time I just had the wires laying on the dash then going down by the fuse panel, it was this ugly mess of wires laying on my dash. Just did this all also as Autometer just rebuilt that tach and I also just glued my dash back together and the vinyl wrap.

Hard to see in the picture, but there is a grommet there.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Anyone have any other suggestions? Especially pictures of the Tach Signal wire hooked up to the PCM wire would be really helpful.

Quick Reply: Where to run all your wires? (Including Tach)