LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 lt1 cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 lt1 cooling issue

Well, I just got my car back together from replacing the head gaskets with impala ss gaskets, and doing a cam swap to an lt4 hotcam. Now I'm having a big problem with it. When it runs, and starts to get warm, it starts pushing coolant out of the radiator and into the overflow. Any ideas what this could be?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

It has an air bubble in the coolant system and you need to bleed it.
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush
Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

I have found the easiest way to bleed it is to get a pressure tester ( after renting one from vatozone for $95 I bought a mac tool one off cl for $45 ) it has proven to be very handy. You can pump up the pressure and bleed the cooling system just like brakes. I've done it four or five times after afew mishaps with the motor.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigj2717
It has an air bubble in the coolant system and you need to bleed it.
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush
Not saying this isn't true, but I've followed the procedure listed on there to the letter and it's still doing it. Just to add to something I said earlier, the coolant will get pushed from the radiator so much that it will pour out of the overflow bottle. Next weekend I'm going to make an attempt at rebleeding it(certainly sucks living 130 miles away from where you can work on it) and go from there.

Also, I should probably add that it is misfiring as well, which I have a suspicion is a plug wire in the wrong place or not on all the way, but thought that there was a possibility it was related.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

I bled mine before drove it to the dyno just for it to do the same thing yours is doing because there was still a air bubble in it
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to cycle the heater on so you can get the air out of that too.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

the hoses are backwards. The throttle body return hose and the overflow hose are swapped. Check them out. The overflow hose should be the one on top.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

I'm the OP's brother, he is out of town in milwaukee during the week, so I've been playing around with a little bit. I looked at the hoses on the radiator, of the two smaller hoses near the filler neck the throttle body hose is at the top. The hoses are different sizes though and look like they are how they are supposed to be. I'll try and get a picture during the weekend. I think its still not bled right, with the radiator cap off the coolant coming in is just coming in spurts, and if I open the bleeder going into the thermostat it doesnt come in a steady stream either. I'm thinking a pressure bleeder may be our best bet. Weird thing is, if you open the bleeder on the heater hose the radiator overflows. Has anyone had that happen before?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Z
I'm thinking a pressure bleeder may be our best bet. Weird thing is, if you open the bleeder on the heater hose the radiator overflows. Has anyone had that happen before?
Yea this happens, I filled my radiator up then threw the cap on and opened the two bleed screws till they started to seep out a bit. I just repeated this a few times and I haven't had any issues.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Teching In

i have found out that the best way to bleed the cooling system is too take off the radiator cap and just let the car idle for at least 30 minutes but watch your temp gauge just to be on the same side it shouldn't over heat but still and watch the coolant level i had this problem on my 93 after i replaced my head gaskets and i just actually left it outside idling for like an hour or so and never had a problem since than.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm the OP's brother, he is out of town in milwaukee during the week, so I've been playing around with a little bit. I looked at the hoses on the radiator, of the two smaller hoses near the filler neck the throttle body hose is at the top. The hoses are different sizes though and look like they are how they are supposed to be. I'll try and get a picture during the weekend. I think its still not bled right, with the radiator cap off the coolant coming in is just coming in spurts, and if I open the bleeder going into the thermostat it doesnt come in a steady stream either. I'm thinking a pressure bleeder may be our best bet. Weird thing is, if you open the bleeder on the heater hose the radiator overflows. Has anyone had that happen before?
Look at this picture:

http://shbox.com/1/low_coolant.jpg

The very top hose that you see (the top port closes to the radiator cap) is for the overflow tank. The one right below that is for the TB return hose.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Well we took a look at those two hoses this morning, they were definitely switched up Its running much cooler now! And both bleeders bleed out a steady stream and the overflow isnt... overflowing anymore lol. So now we need to adjust the rockers again and find out what the problem is with the misfire. We'll keep this thread updated with any questions or what we find with the misfire. Thanks for the help so far!
Old 05-29-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well we took a look at those two hoses this morning, they were definitely switched up Its running much cooler now! And both bleeders bleed out a steady stream and the overflow isnt... overflowing anymore lol. So now we need to adjust the rockers again and find out what the problem is with the misfire. We'll keep this thread updated with any questions or what we find with the misfire. Thanks for the help so far!
You're welcome. You'd be surprised how many people mix that up.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
.... The overflow hose should be the one on top.
.... I looked at the hoses on the radiator, of the two smaller hoses near the filler neck the throttle body hose is at the top. The hoses are different sizes though and look like they are how they are supposed to be. ....
You're welcome.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'll say thanks a bunch too. Oddly enough, it works properly when you put it together properly, who'd knew?

Quick Reply: 95 lt1 cooling issue