LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Building a LT1 for street/HPDE/track

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a LT1 for street/HPDE/track

I want to hear from anyone that has built an LT1 that has a nice torque curve and make good all around power.

I will be keeping my trans am and want to do more street/road racing and will make it more of a handling car than just straight line. Right now my engine is totally stock and I am more than likely going to bore it to 355, ARP bolt the factory rods and get some JE or similar forged pistons. Heads will probably be factory's that are P&P. I do not know what cam yet, simply because no one really talks about cams other than all out power for drag racing. I will be switching to LS1 computer and coils.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are not going to be using any power adders, then there is really no need to go with aftermarket pistons. Rod bolts will be a nice upgrade to the bottom end to handle lots or rpm. You might look into getting a H/C kit from Advanced Induction and using their 226/234 cam. That should give you a nice under the curve power band.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the LT4 Hot Cam was developed for road racing.

If it were me, I would probaly focus on a cam that has a 220 intake duration or less and one that doesn't have a whole lot of overlap. Something with +2 or +4 degrees of advance would work well since it will offer more low-end and midrange power compared to the same cam on a 0 advance or with a retard that will give it more peak power as it's geared more for drag racing.

I dunno whether your looking to get the heads done locally or by a reputable sponsor on here but if you were going the LE or Ai etc. route, then I would suggest having them spec you a cam that matches your goals.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am more than likely going to be going with a sponser for a matching h/c/i package, probably a level 2 setup.

Does anyone have any input or mods to do to the block for oiling? I saw in hotrod they took a 302 and painted the valley with paint that can withstand the oil to let the oil have a smooth surface to run back down on.

Would I be wrong to think that a nice broad power band and peak FT's around 400 be capable out of a 355 LT1. I will have supporting mods like full exhaust and LS1 intake.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave the engine alone, spend ALL your money on brakes, suspension, cooling system, seats and harnesses.

The ONLY things I would do to the engine is....

Canton pan, turn one power steering pump, radiator.

Go here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racing-35/

www.frrax.com
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FFB is right, first things first. You want to be underpowered for your suspension, not the other way around. Set up the chassis first, then drive train.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy this:

http://forums.tfbm.org/index.php?t=msg&th=6881&start=0&

or this:

http://forums.tfbm.org/index.php?t=msg&th=6637&start=0&

Let someone else pay and you pick up a bargain.

Quick Reply: Building a LT1 for street/HPDE/track