LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 running issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 running issues

so im posting this for a friend.he just picked up a 94 z28 a4 with 106k.
car all in all is in great shape,but runs a little jacked up.so at idel motor surges between 1k-2k rpm,then while driving car drives fine under light throttle but soon as you give it more gas or try to go to wot car bogs thru out most of the rpm range.does not feel like its miss firing at all just bogs and hesitates.he threw a differnt map sensor on the car this morning while cold and the car ran fine till warmed up then theproblem came back.any one got any thoughts of where to start?check engine light is off and he tried to scan as well but scanner said could not connect.this sound like a blown headgasket with the way the car runs?it is not loosing coolant
thanks joe
Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Check the plugs and wires. Wait til dark let if get to operating temperature and open the hood. Rev it up some and watch for sparks or a really awesome light show!

A buddy had the same problem twice when the car warmed up. First time the wires broke down and you could see the juice flowing throught the wires at night. And the second time a plug cracked.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jayz28
Check the plugs and wires. Wait til dark let if get to operating temperature and open the hood. Rev it up some and watch for sparks or a really awesome light show!

A buddy had the same problem twice when the car warmed up. First time the wires broke down and you could see the juice flowing throught the wires at night. And the second time a plug cracked.
was looking at the car last night and didnt see any thing like that. if a plug was cracked i think id notice a deffinit miss fire.i know i do with my ls1.the bog and hesitation is really bad. ill tell him though to check the plug thing.probly wouldnt hurt to do a tune up tho plug wires did look kind of old
Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

also quick thought he may replace the opti for piece of mind since i can get him a good price. is 95+ just a updated version cause of a seal? can it be used with out a problem?
thanks joe
Old 05-31-2010, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stangtrader
also quick thought he may replace the opti for piece of mind since i can get him a good price. is 95+ just a updated version cause of a seal? can it be used with out a problem?
thanks joe
Nope, 95 opti is different. The timing cover is differnt.

Bad opti could be the culprit. It usually is.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the input good to know about the opti being diff,thought i heard you can use the latter.going to go look at the car in a little bit and see if i can help him out.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try checking the o2s I had a bad hesitation problem when the car warmed up and it turned out to be the o2s,it also had a real shaky idle and sounded like it was cammed due to the o2s making it run rich
Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

I had an O2 go out once and it wouldn't run hardly at all. And would burn your eyes. After the engine warmed up, it would spit and sputter...
Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 AM
12 Second Club

gonna tell him to check the o2s with a multimeter.car developed a mis fire while i was there,im starting to think the opti is on its way out.cars gonna need a little work but for paying what he did hes still ahead by a good amount so its worth the time and money.finnaly converted another one away from ford lol