LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt4 camaro computer problem please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010 | 06:16 PM
Launching!

Default lt4 camaro computer problem please help!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so the past week i did a new cam swap in my lt4 camaro, so i got everything together and started her up for the first time and the battery goes week so i throw a charger on it set it to 225 quick start and she starts right up!!! sounds ******* amazing runs great let it sit for about 5 minutes to just run and get warm i let my foot off the pedal and it tried to stay idling but died so i have my hypertech programmer plugged in and i went in and set the idle to about 1100 the cam is a 240 248 on a 111 spread so i figured go high on it and see where it likes it, so about 45% was done on the programmer and all of a sudden i hear the pump deprime and the car kinda twitched, i look inside and the programmer is shut off, so i go to retry it and it cant connect to the car so i try to connect my code reader to it and it cant connect either!!!!!!! so my question is did the computer just take a **** on me or did something else happen, the computer itself was not hot and not one fuse was blown no wires anywhere were melted or bubbly, but all the relays in the fuse box in the engine bay were over 110 degrees!!!!!!!!

what the hell happen cuz now it just sits there and cranks and cranks and cranks and doesnt start!!!!!!!! give me your input on what ya think happen i dont want to go and spend good money on another computer to find out its not the computer at all.
thanks a lot for any info guys!!!!
Old 06-05-2010 | 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

First ovall try to make some shorter sentence and make some paragraphe,it will be easier for members to help you if there eyes are not bleeding

If your programmer lost its connection with the computer and your program was not fully done,you probably burn your pcm and will need a new one.

Second tips also,dont ever use a hpp with your car.Even for a stock car it totally suck.Now with a head and cam you should order a custom(correc tone for your setup) mail order tune.

And finally for the best result a dyno tune is the best.

If your code readr cant connect,try with maybe datamaster or tunercats to try to read your pcm.If they cant your pcm is fried.

Used pcm could be found for about 50-75$
Old 06-05-2010 | 09:51 PM
Launching!

ya i figured i typed too much but i didnt want to leave out any details, and ya the hand held was a big mistake and i knew that but damn i didnt think it was gunna do this. ya i am goin to order one from pcm4less and it will be good to roll then take her to a dyno!!

thanks for the input!!
Old 06-05-2010 | 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xrambbc
ya i figured i typed too much but i didnt want to leave out any details, and ya the hand held was a big mistake and i knew that but damn i didnt think it was gunna do this. ya i am goin to order one from pcm4less and it will be good to roll then take her to a dyno!!

thanks for the input!!
No no you didnt type too much,the more detail we got the most chance you got the help to find your problem.Just use some space between your sentence to help

Now all you need is a used pcm and your good to go
Old 06-06-2010 | 05:39 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like the PCM isn't communicating with the laptop, you need to send the PCM out to a tuner to be resocketed.
Old 06-06-2010 | 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

First off, where did you get an lt4 camaro?

Second, I agree with the above, you probably fried the rom chip. Have it socketed and buy a few extra chips
Old 06-06-2010 | 01:40 PM
Launching!

yea i called ed write and he told me i screwed it up when it lost communication during the hpp programming, he said the first 30% of the programming on the hpp is deleting the stock tune and if its disconnected after that 30% it wipes the computer out!!!! what kind of **** is that!!!! so im sending this one in to pcm4less and having one done up for my car then off to a dyno tune.

and its a 30th ann camaro z28 that was ordered with an lt4, got it from a guy that kept it in the garage its whole life its only got 5600 original miles!!! picked it up for 8000 bucks!!!!!
Old 06-06-2010 | 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's common knowledge in the LT1 PCM world. If you lose communication during programming, the PCM cannot be repaired (at least by the typical user).

That's awesome you got a 30th LT4. There were only 100 of them made - keep it in good shape. They'll be worth a pretty penny.
Old 06-06-2010 | 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by always faster
No no you didnt type too much,the more detail we got the most chance you got the help to find your problem.Just use some space between your sentence to help

Now all you need is a used pcm and your good to go
lmao yes some SPACE between sentences is always good!
PERIOD > SPACE
OP got any pics? sounds like a sweet ride!!!!
Old 06-06-2010 | 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I should also add that if I had a 30th LT4, I'd keep ALL of the stock parts. Better yet, I'd probably leave it stock.
Old 06-06-2010 | 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

if you got it for 8k bucks with 5600 miles.... I'd give it about a 1 in 5,381 chance of being a real lt4 SS.
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:27 PM
Launching!

well to all that think it hard to believe i have the original window sticker for it an in the option box it says optional order includes: lt4 package
but its not an ss so im not sure about being an ss but it is for sure a z 28 and yes i have all the stock parts but it belonged to a very very very close friend that passed away so i will NEVER get rid of it!!! lol but yea ill throw some pics up its a great ride i love it still has the new car smell!!
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

i thought they only came in ss camaros or firehawks...
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i thought they only came in ss camaros or firehawks...
...they did. Hmm.
Old 06-07-2010 | 01:16 AM
Launching!

yea i was looking that up and they were only ss's so hell if i know ill throw some pics up see what ya guys think.

Quick Reply: lt4 camaro computer problem please help!!!!!!!!!!!