LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

More problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More problems...

Well i have officially messed up the lt1 for the third time... First time i got it all together, i realized the crank threads were jacked, machine shop put in a helicoil. then i nicked a rod journal, got it turned at the shop. So the other night i was setting the rocker preload and using the crank snout bolt to turn the motor over. I started to pull the bolt out afterwards and it got to where it almost wouldn't turn. It ended up pulling out half the helicoil when i got it out....

I really don't want to take it apart again. I don't even know if it's fixable. Can it be drilled out again and have another coil put in? If i took the whole motor to a shop would they be able to fix it with it in the motor?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ebeard
Well i have officially messed up the lt1 for the third time... First time i got it all together, i realized the crank threads were jacked, machine shop put in a helicoil. then i nicked a rod journal, got it turned at the shop. So the other night i was setting the rocker preload and using the crank snout bolt to turn the motor over. I started to pull the bolt out afterwards and it got to where it almost wouldn't turn. It ended up pulling out half the helicoil when i got it out....

I really don't want to take it apart again. I don't even know if it's fixable. Can it be drilled out again and have another coil put in? If i took the whole motor to a shop would they be able to fix it with it in the motor?
For that application, a Timesert would have been a better option. It can be fixed.

And whenever you can help it, you shouldn't use the crank bolt to turn the motor.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
And whenever you can help it, you shouldn't use the crank bolt to turn the motor.
Def. learned my lesson there. What is a timesert?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.timesert.com/
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Those things are bad ***! I put 6 in the sparkplug blowing ford I had and they never blew out again. Helicoil makes one kinda like it too.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Didn't have to take it apart and the machine shop only charged me $25 to fix it. I'm pretty pumped, and ready for this beast to cruise around and get some noise pollution citations

Quick Reply: More problems...