LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Leak From Valve Cover - Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 02:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

The EGR causing leaks is a myth created by the "great minds" of some random GM dealership that spread like wildfire. It's nonsense. Had nothing to do with it. The oil leak on the back of the manifold simply was because there was not enough sealant on the manifold and/or the manifold bolts were not torqued properly and/or the intake gaskets shrunk after being heat cycled, which in cause loosened the intake manifold bolts and the sealant failed.
As far as the seepage, are they the stock valve covers? What condition is the baffling in on the inside of the passenger valve cover? If you get rid of the breather tube then I'm sure you know you should put a breather of some kind in place for the PCV system. Problem with that is, you will get that same seepage all over the engine bay. Not a good idea to run a breather on a street car.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stock valve covers yes, they don't appear to be bent or damaged in any way. I still have the stock breather tube, 100% stock in terms of emissions besides the throttle body coolant line which was capped (if that counts.) Not running a breather etc.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:48 PM
Launching!

When I removed my fill tube, I noticed there wasn't much of a gasket left where it threads into the valve cover. A tiny hint of something red was about it. I attached the oil cap directly to the valve cover and so far, it seems that the oil drip has gone from 5-10 golf ball sized droplets to 2-3 drops. Could just be residual oil at this point.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Possibly. How oily is your engine? If it's filmy then I'd get some simple green and clean as much oil off the engine as you can. From valve covers to both front/back of the intake to the timing chain cover and oil pan. Anywhere where there's a seal to keep oil in and beyond. Run it for a day and when it cools off, start feeling around starting from the top of the engine. If you still can't find it then get some dye and a black light.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Possibly. How oily is your engine? If it's filmy then I'd get some simple green and clean as much oil off the engine as you can. From valve covers to both front/back of the intake to the timing chain cover and oil pan. Anywhere where there's a seal to keep oil in and beyond. Run it for a day and when it cools off, start feeling around starting from the top of the engine. If you still can't find it then get some dye and a black light.
That's the weird part, the engine isn't oily at all with an exception of what was a light film on the passenger valve cover. No issues with oil dripping onto the exhaust manifolds and vaporizing, no oily odors in the cabin etc. The light film of oil seems to have vanished as I wiped down the valve cover after I removed that oil fill tube and just attached the oil cap directly to the valve cover. I also wiped behind the intake manifold to double check as I recently pulled it and resealed the ends as well as installed new gaskets. Bone dry. I think it must be from the Rear Main Seal if it persists?
Old 01-25-2021, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd get enough coming out of there after a few hard auto-X runs that it would drip onto the exhaust and smoke enough to draw the attention of the safety folks.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by rentedmule
I'd get enough coming out of there after a few hard auto-X runs that it would drip onto the exhaust and smoke enough to draw the attention of the safety folks.
Well, that will get them out of their lawn chairs!! Good way to deal with tailgaters as well.

To confirm, your referring to out of the oil fill tube?
Old 01-27-2021, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, it was from where the filler tube met the valve cover.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak From Valve Cover - Help Please!