LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question for LT1 guys running a McLeod Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question for LT1 guys running a McLeod Master Cylinder

I was going to post this in the manual trans section but the LT1 McLeod Master is different than the LS1 so I wanted some LT1 guys input.

I'm running a McLeod Street Twin with McLeod's adj. master. Recently my trans became hard to shift and I think its due to the clutch hydraulics and the clutch not fully releasing. For you guys running this setup, when you push on the clutch pedal do you have instant resistance? Mine pedal travels about 3/4 of an inch before I have a good solid feel (this is about 1/4 of an inch of master cylinder travel). I'm not sure if this is normal or not. If I remember correctly the master cylinder plunger has to travel slightly before it shuts/seals off the hole that runs to the reservoir. So I am wondering if this is normal.

Input anyone?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the LT1 MC is exactly the same as the LS1 MC, the slaves are entirely different though.

You still would probably have better luck with this question in the drivetrain section.

Only advice I can offer you is just to play with the MC till your clutch is disengaging as it should. Just make sure the rod isn't extended to the point where your clutch fork is being pushed so far it hits the spinning pressure plate (meaning do small adjustments at a time).
Old 06-13-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

I forgot to add in my last post that the little bit of pedal travel before the hydraulics go to work is entirely normal-- the master cylinder has to move slightly before its cuts off the hole to the reservoir and seals up, exactly as you said.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

That is what I was thinking. I got most of the old fluid out and some fresh in the system which helped. The fluid is about a year old and am hoping that is the reason I was getting the issues.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97pontta
That is what I was thinking. I got most of the old fluid out and some fresh in the system which helped. The fluid is about a year old and am hoping that is the reason I was getting the issues.
In all honesty I don't think that'd be the problem-- it'd be one thing if the fluid was 10 years old, but 1 year old fluid is practically new still. So unless some air got into the system somehow, changing the fluid isn't gonna solve the problem.

If the fluid change doesn't work out, I'd do like I said before and get the MC re-adjusted. Drive it around for a while and if the problem returns, then the problem is probably in the hydraulics, like some kind of internal leak. At that point I'd replace the slave cylinder first because it's a lot cheaper than the McLeod MC, and go from there.

And don't forget to bleed the hydraulics after you change that fluid.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When my pedal started getting soft, and the tranny was hard to shift, it turned out to be a bad clutch. Just throwing that out there.

My Mcleod MC has no slack at all. It's a firm pedal feel the whole way to the floor. Adjusting it should make no difference in pedal feel, only engagement point.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

when i changed mine out i primed it from the bottom by pushing it in and out about 15 times and had no problems with slack in pedal . u may want to try that and see if it takes the slack out
Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Yup, that is what I did. I removed the slave from the trans and pushed in and out about a dozen times slowly. Sucked the fluid from the reservoir which was black and needed changed and filled with fresh. I did this about 10 times until cycling the slave left clean fluid in the reservoir. Last spring I rebuilt the master with new seals that I had gotten from McLeod while I was getting my T56 rebuilt by Tick. I have reason to believe its the hydraulics because it was shifting fine after the rebuild until the other night which is about a year of use. Shouldn't have to adjust the master because it worked fine for the past year.

My pedal is firm and consistent after the first 3/4 inch of movement, and I don't suspect the clutch to be bad because it only has about 5000 miles on it. I'm going to play with the hydraulics a little more I think.

Quick Reply: Question for LT1 guys running a McLeod Master Cylinder