LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

msd opti?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
For everyone sucessfully running the MSD POS there are more turning the stock opti higher. It is a waste of money and the timing feature will do noothing but allow you to cause yourself huge amounts of trouble. Plus to actually use it you need a degreed damper, keyed hub and a timing pointer.

LOL. This is so true. I own the MSD and it really isn't worth what they charge for it. Their product "technical" support consists of a guy who asks what's wrong with it and then tells you to mail it to them for a rebuild (again, at a ridiculously high price). It isn't a poorly made unit, and MSD has made some refinements to make their design better over the last two years, but $500? The eBay optis are getting better and better, the Delphi rebuilds are still around, and it appears the Dynaspark is now growing in popularity. Why roll the dice on an MSD whose history has been poor lately?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I considered an MSD when I started trying to get my car running again a few years ago. I would have to say I'm somewhat relieved I went with an AC/Delco.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Wow, here I thought I got lucky when a friend of mine who builds race motors gave me a free MSD opti still in the box for my 383 build. Maybe I should sell it and get a Delco. I'll have to find some threads and see what problems there are with the MSD. Don't want to get it in the car and have to pull it back apart again.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Location: Cold upstate Newyork roads unworthy for a lowerd camaro

wow i think ive mad my decision and im not going to say which one ive chosen seeing how in just a couple of days of not being online ive created a room just for fighting haha...... no seriously guys i wanna thank all of you for your opinions and greatly appreciate your help
Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by White95m6Z28
wow i think ive mad my decision and im not going to say which one ive chosen seeing how in just a couple of days of not being online ive created a room just for fighting haha...... no seriously guys i wanna thank all of you for your opinions and greatly appreciate your help
As you can see, Optispark discussions get pretty passionate....
Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

LOVE my MSD. It totally cured my issues above 6000rpm. Car pulls so strong now!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Launching!

MSD Opti, and no problems with it at all

Quick Reply: msd opti?