LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water pump leaking and A/C problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump leaking and A/C problem?

Hey guys

1st, My coolant light came on a month ago and i finally decide to take a look at what was wrong i looked underneath my car and i saw a little coolant dripping down off the water pump. It looked like it was coming out of the weap hole on the bottom. My question is do I need a new pump or do i just need a new gasket or something?

next

I have been trying to fix my a/c for a while now, no matter what i do I cant get it to take a charge, it wont take in the freon. the Compressror does not come on. I replaced it a couple of months ago when the old one locked up. Is there a temprature switch i need to bypass or something? The pressure switch should be good because i pulled a vaccum on it and saw there was pressre with my gauges. What do I do?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 06-15-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

#1 When you see coolant coming out the weep hole on any vehicle's water pump, it's replacement time. You can't fix them at home.

#2 You'll need to jump your A/C compressor directly to the battery to get the clutch engaged. This assumes that it's only a low charge problem and not something else preventing it from coming on. A pair of alligator clips and a dimes worth of wire is all you need.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

checking it a month after the light came on is neglect and will cost you dearly if not fix'd now...i'll give you a grand for it how it sits...other wise fix it before a bad pump becomes an opti or a head gasket
Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Water pump is a easy job, you can do it. Fix it.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

for the A/C you can look at the compressor relay in the drivers side fender well fuse box. A/C was out on my car when I got it. Wouldn't kick on the compressor so I uncapped and manually actuated the relay. Compressor came on, no cold air (didn't have a set of gauges to see if it would hold vacuum, so I stopped there until I had the tools to check that and do a charge/ leak test with dye). If you're sure there's refrigerant in the system, you may just need a relay.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a used water pump for sale..i bought an electric that came with housing and stuff.,30$
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
#1 When you see coolant coming out the weep hole on any vehicle's water pump, it's replacement time. You can't fix them at home.

#2 You'll need to jump your A/C compressor directly to the battery to get the clutch engaged. This assumes that it's only a low charge problem and not something else preventing it from coming on. A pair of alligator clips and a dimes worth of wire is all you need.
You don't need top jump it off of the compressor directly as you can make a jumper wire about 3 inches long and just jump it off of the relay. Pull the relay in the fuse box and put a jumper wire in there to kick on the compressor manually and check the pressure in the system once its running before you dump 134A into it. As said you could just have a bad relay, esp if the compressor is new.

Quick Reply: Water pump leaking and A/C problem?