LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My rear diff cover is rust

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
LOL, Dude you crack me up with the way you type. What nationality are you? Im not making fun just trying to put an accent with the typing.
Anyways por15 is good stuff and turns out like that^ , guys use it for their roll bars also
Im from Vietnam. some chinese. Our family only drive american cars, all my uncle or aunt drive import only. Im only one like american muscle, cousin and other only drive import, but I think they into american muscle car now, cause I beat em all the time on those weak *** import.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
you could always just buy a new diff cover...they're like $30 for a chrome one
Hi, few year ago I use chrome one and it created a leak, so i went back to old factory one and it never leak, same as tranmission pan, chrome leak on me, so i went back to regular one. Never have luck with chrome i guest. it does look nice

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
LOL you got me there. Makes me wish I was back in FL
FL is nice, I flew from MS to FL to pick up my last 97 camaro z28, hot as hell but its beautiful their. 18 hours drive lol.

Originally Posted by Adam1203
i bought mine directly from por15 at www.por15.com
you can get it in different color and in flat and gloss. i went with a gloss black. the big thing with por15 if its in the sun it needs to be painted over.

being your painting an axle it doesn't need to be painted over.
what kind of brush do you use ? I dont need take my rear off like u right ?. how long it take before it dry complete, I guest I just go ahead and change out rear diff gear oil, then paint over. btw if I paint over the valve cover bolt, if I want take it off in the future, does it hard to take off ? thanks, so much question, hope you understand.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt

what kind of brush do you use ? I dont need take my rear off like u right ?. how long it take before it dry complete, I guest I just go ahead and change out rear diff gear oil, then paint over. btw if I paint over the valve cover bolt, if I want take it off in the future, does it hard to take off ? thanks, so much question, hope you understand.
i used a regular walmart brush becuase thats what i have always used. but they recommend one of the foam brushes. i would recommenced taking out the rear would make it an easier job. it sets in about 2 hours which is dry to the touch it takes 5 hours to fully dry. bolts will come out with ease and the paint wont come off the heads.

while its out its a good time to drain the oil and change all of the seals.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool got ya,

BTW I painted mine in the car with a can of Rustoleum semi gloss oil based paint and a foam brush. Hard to get everywhere but you can get it 99% done. Holding up good so far
Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool got ya,

BTW I painted mine in the car with a can of Rustoleum semi gloss oil based paint and a foam brush. Hard to get everywhere but you can get it 99% done. Holding up good so far
that does look very clean. you paint it while it still on the car ? does it drip ?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I painted it in the car and no it didnt drip
Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya I painted it in the car and no it didnt drip
Im assuming you removed the suspension components and taped off the underside of the car?

Quick Reply: My rear diff cover is rust