LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can I up my shot of nitrous on coated or cryoed pistons. Reason I ask.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I up my shot of nitrous on coated or cryoed pistons. Reason I ask.....

I have taken the engine apart to get it ready for a 250 shot. But I have a question regarding cyro'ing or coatings. Which I know I have annoyed everybody with several questions recently, but thanks for everyone's help.

Hopefully this is a legit question. Now these pistons I have show that they can handle a 250 shot. Check here http://www.rosspistons.com/products/...&vehicle_id=28

But when I called ross racing they said "well there not really a nitrous piston, but a 200 shot will be fine"

So now I am worried about doing a 250 shot even though the website says these pistons can handle up to 250, but the tech on the phone said it will hold 200 fine.

So I am curious if piston coatings or cyro'ing will help at protecting these pistons if I do hit a 250 shot? Or is piston coatings and cyro'ing a joke? So what do you think? Or should I just buy $800 JE pistons? Yikes!!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no coating in the world will help you if you dont know what your doing. you can melt through that stuff like its not even there with a bad tune. the coating may be helpful if you are in a nitrous jet limited headsup class and are pushing the limits on your tune.... might hold them together a bit longer.

i would just toss whatever forged pistons fit your budget in there for a 250 shot. shouldnt break a sweat.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll be just fine on the pistons. If you had a 550 hp motor spraying a 200 shot, and a 500 hp motor spraying a 250 shot, does the piston see something different than 750 hp? Coatings won't help you in power handling ability, and have questionable benefit for the cost:hp ratio. Honestly you'd be better off bead blasting the tops, I believe Joe Sherman does this when the budget isn't there for coatings. You definitely want to smooth the sharp edges on the piston tops to avoid hot spots. FWIW my custom JE's came in at about 930 bucks, but we didn't go crazy with the options. They've got a healthy dome on there and weighed in at 440 grams which ain't too bad.

Quick Reply: Can I up my shot of nitrous on coated or cryoed pistons. Reason I ask.....