LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ls1 steering shaft install on lt1

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default ls1 steering shaft install on lt1

I got a used ls1 rack and pinion from ebay. I got the rack with the intermediate shaft for the LS1. I ordered some new tie rods for the rack and while I wait for my new tie rods, I thought I'd hook up the intermediate shaft and see what the difference was on my lt1 rack. My current intermediate shaft has the rag joint eliminator.

Two things:

1) I was able to pull my intermediate shaft and replace with ls1 shaft and my steering wheel is still on the money.
2) steering feels a lot firmer and tighter, i was suprised by that, but it really feels good and I have less play in it!

These intermediate shafts are only $30, I think it's a great upgrade. Clears the LPPs pretty good too.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is there a problem or are you just telling us your golden and to buy a ragless joint steering shaft?

Any pics of your car and engine pics with this new setup
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought I'd share my experience doing this. I read a lot about people doing it and some saying the steering wheel would be off with the ragless conversion, so for me I did not experience that.

The second part, is yes, I was having issues and that's why I got the ls1 rack, figured I'd try something different. Here's my post earlier this year explaining my particular problem. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...th-should.html

I'll post some pics later, was doing it in the garage real quick. I'll put some pics up when I put in the ls1 rack.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I recently did mine and it would not work off the bat. I had to grind down the factory folded tabs (from the splined end) and separate it, then clock it/line it up with the LT1 shaft, then hammer it back on (and tack welded it for more assurance). Definitely an awesome mod. I found mine at a local u-pull-it junkyard and got it for like $5 from an LS1 car. I painted it black and now it's one of the loudest things in my engine bay -_- Header clearance definitely was increased and steering was MUCH more responsive.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did this about a year ago. made the wheel off. but i pulled the wheel got it close then took it to the shop and set the alignment how i like it. awsome mod
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty easy to do:
http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...aft-*Write-Up*
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

The problem with it lining up is the ls shaft on a lt rack with you using the ls rack it alleviates the problem
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I recently did mine and it would not work off the bat. I had to grind down the factory folded tabs (from the splined end) and separate it, then clock it/line it up with the LT1 shaft, then hammer it back on (and tack welded it for more assurance). Definitely an awesome mod. I found mine at a local u-pull-it junkyard and got it for like $5 from an LS1 car. I painted it black and now it's one of the loudest things in my engine bay -_- Header clearance definitely was increased and steering was MUCH more responsive.
I did mine the same way. At first I just bolted the shaft on there, my steering went 45 degrees off, and would bind badly. When I re-clocked the LS shaft, I also made it a little shorter, b/c the LT1 shaft is a bit shorter than the LS style. The only way it would line up perfectly is if there is already and LS rack and pinion on your car.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Just picked up a LS1 shaft off a board member. Going to be doing this myself. I am doing LPP's right now and my stock shaft would not slide down to allow me to take it off. It is siezed up somehow. I had to loosen the column and pull it back to get it out. I figured now was the perfect time to this mod.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

no ls rack, i've had the car since new. my steering is f'd up though, I must have put it in this position before I took it for an alignment and just gotten lucky that they could get it straight, but there is an issue though, I think they pulled in one side more than another and I have issues with the rack anyway, so out it goes, and the ls1 is going in shortly.

Quick Reply: ls1 steering shaft install on lt1