LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94z28 i think my tranny is done. need advice on options

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Join a local club. Find somebody good with trannys befriend him.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

^^lol..that's fucked up..
Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

someone was telling me i might have a stuck forward sprag. i really need to get the car to someplace i can pull the pan off and have a look inside but i live in a apartment now so it wouldnt be good, but im wondering if ive overlooked something and i might be able to fix the prob without pulling or rebuilding the tranny.
also question what rpm should my motor be turning at 60mph on the freeway?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
^^lol..that's fucked up..
yea and i dont have a mullet, lol, so i think im screwed
Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Depends on what gears you have in the back. Does it still go into lockup?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

Depends on what gears you have in the back. Does it still go into lockup?
ive never been able to tell but i remember it being kinda high like close to 3000 rpm. im afraid to drive it now since i cant afford to tow it home and it was a pain getting it backed into my friends lot where im storing it along with my jeep. theres a tag on the rear end right? or do i need the vin? i have no door sticker, thats how i found out i have a hypertech chip, theres hypertech sticker on the door where there should be a door tag. i suspect my door has been replaced anyways.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Na just Jack it up and count the revolutions of the driveshaft compared to one revolution of the wheel. You mark the drive shaft and just use the valve on the tire as your mark since you are spinning it around once.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Na just Jack it up and count the revolutions of the driveshaft compared to one revolution of the wheel. You mark the drive shaft and just use the valve on the tire as your mark since you are spinning it around once.
can i tell by the vin? i really dont want to jack it up in the dirt. the car isnt where i live either. well the good news is i have a interview at a shop tomorrow and if that works out money will fix all my poroblems lol
almost 3k seems kinda high at 60mph though.
so say i jack it up and count, i forget how to figure it out that way. i cant believe theres no tag, wtf
Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

i found this so i just need to go look in my glovebox at the sticker

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/arch.../t-235334.html
Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

I was just sayin to Jack it up to make sure.

Ya the factory codes..
GU2-2.73
GU5-3.23
GU6-3.42
Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car has to rev to 4K to go in reverse and it's reving to 3K at 60mph, either you have a huge non-lockup converter or your trans is junk.....judging by the fact that you said the fluid smelled kinda burnt I'm going to say your trans is junk. If you feel technically savvy enough rebuild it, or pay someone to. Either way I recommend a converter since you will NOT be able to clean out all the little junk that's in there from the circulated fluid. if you spend the money right you can build a great trans for well under $1200. And it will last you a long time. And on another note, get rid of the hypertech as fast as possible, it's not helping any....
Old 08-04-2010, 03:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by duh
If your car has to rev to 4K to go in reverse and it's reving to 3K at 60mph, either you have a huge non-lockup converter or your trans is junk.....judging by the fact that you said the fluid smelled kinda burnt I'm going to say your trans is junk. If you feel technically savvy enough rebuild it, or pay someone to. Either way I recommend a converter since you will NOT be able to clean out all the little junk that's in there from the circulated fluid. if you spend the money right you can build a great trans for well under $1200. And it will last you a long time. And on another note, get rid of the hypertech as fast as possible, it's not helping any....
whats the deal with the hypertech, i could never get any info on it, its not made any more by them. why is it bad? the hypertech that is.
what should it be turning for revs at 60 mph?
i havent had a chance to go look at the car but i whent and saw my old shop teacher and he showed me a disassembled trans so im pretty sure i just need to make one tool and ill be good but i havent decided what im going to do. if i can find work ill just buy a parts car if i find one for a good deal
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

well when people play with trans stuff, they just jack the heck out of the line pressure which can be good, but on a stock trans isn't really great, since it does it through a solenoid, not with the valve body and pump. As for revs at 60.....my 93 spins 2100 rpm at 70, and like 1800 at 60. now it's "technically" a different trans....4L60 v. 4L60E....the internals are all the same except in the valve body with the electronic controls. Back to the Hypertech, get rid of it....it will do nothing but be a hindrance in the future. It will eventually cause more headaches than its worth...IMO
Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by duh
well when people play with trans stuff, they just jack the heck out of the line pressure which can be good, but on a stock trans isn't really great, since it does it through a solenoid, not with the valve body and pump. As for revs at 60.....my 93 spins 2100 rpm at 70, and like 1800 at 60. now it's "technically" a different trans....4L60 v. 4L60E....the internals are all the same except in the valve body with the electronic controls. Back to the Hypertech, get rid of it....it will do nothing but be a hindrance in the future. It will eventually cause more headaches than its worth...IMO
so maybe mine has never whent into lock up then. at 35 it seemed to lock up and it would sit at about 1800 but when i would hit the gas it would rev up to about 3000 or more before it seemed to start accelerating so is that normal, doesnt seem like it
i dont get whats so wrong with the chip??
Old 08-06-2010, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

my car is about the same thing it revs to about 2k at 60mph and at 35 mph at 1800 is crazy lol i think mines like 1100 if cruising at 35mph
Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

is yours a chip, or a flash program? IIRC only 93's have the removeable chip.....it goes with the speed density engine controls. I've had nothing but bad luck with Hypertechs screwing up the computer and the car. Just my experience.... I think you're trans is either 1. slipping and on it's last legs, or 2. you have a converter and don't know it, or 3. the hypercrap has tricked it into doing something it shouldn't....this is what I can tell you from my experience....
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by duh
is yours a chip, or a flash program? IIRC only 93's have the removeable chip.....it goes with the speed density engine controls. I've had nothing but bad luck with Hypertechs screwing up the computer and the car. Just my experience.... I think you're trans is either 1. slipping and on it's last legs, or 2. you have a converter and don't know it, or 3. the hypercrap has tricked it into doing something it shouldn't....this is what I can tell you from my experience....
yea i cant even scan my ecu. its a piggy back that plugs in before the ecu. i just looked at the car and it say GU5 so it should be 3.23 gears. i smell something like burnt rubber when its in reverse too. im removing the hypertech tomorrow and see what happens its one of these

i cant find any info on it either

heres my glovebox tag too

Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HYP-350852/
i dont know but i think it changes trans shift points
Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

right now im downloading this rebuild video from the atsg
if anyone is interested heres the link...you need to be familiar with torrents and utorrent or bittorrent to download it
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/GM-TH700...a892aae7d681ae
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

removed hypertech, drove car to trans shop. they said the low reverse clutch bands are probably burnt up.stil drives fine foward but no reverse, if i dont hit the gas at all it kinda wants to back up but hit the gas and it halts like a brake.
anyways no matter what the trans have to come out and since i dont have the money to do anything i may just sell the car or put a 700r4 in it instead since i can get one for next to nothing.

Quick Reply: 94z28 i think my tranny is done. need advice on options