LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speed Density High-Flow Intake Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Density High-Flow Intake Setup

OK guys, I need some advice here...

My car is tuned in speed density and has the LS1 PCM. It is a ram air WS6 with a K&N filter and still has the stock MAF on it. The baffles have NOT been cut out of the hood.

My car is making good power to over 7400rpm. I want to make sure I am getting everything I can out of the intake setup. I have a feeling that my current intake setup is a restriction, and I also want to remove the MAF becasue it isnt being used.

What kind of high flow setup should I look into? How effective would cutting the baffles out of the hood be and making a one piece coupler from the throttle body to the airbox be?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
OK guys, I need some advice here...

My car is tuned in speed density and has the LS1 PCM. It is a ram air WS6 with a K&N filter and still has the stock MAF on it. The baffles have NOT been cut out of the hood.

My car is making good power to over 7400rpm. I want to make sure I am getting everything I can out of the intake setup. I have a feeling that my current intake setup is a restriction, and I also want to remove the MAF becasue it isnt being used.

What kind of high flow setup should I look into? How effective would cutting the baffles out of the hood be and making a one piece coupler from the throttle body to the airbox be?

Thanks
It's not a cheap setup, but on my build I will be running the following intake setup:

-MAFless SD Tune
-Fast Toys 104mm lid
-Chris1313 Ram Air

No restriction, baffles, or turns. Of course it wont be worth anything without following the path upstream - TB, Elbow, Manifold, and Heads all have to be high flowing and spinning a lot of revs for that setup to make a gain.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do your MAP readings support your suspicion of restriction???

You could put a small piece of PVC or pipe in place of the MAF as a cheap simple test.

FWIW I also believe that the MAP location coupled with large TBs and moving some air results in a Bernoulli effect causing some reading of vacuum when there really is none.This is based on being around some cars that saw "MAP restriction" with a 58mm and the same restriction with a monoblade.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
It's not a cheap setup, but on my build I will be running the following intake setup:

-MAFless SD Tune
-Fast Toys 104mm lid
-Chris1313 Ram Air

No restriction, baffles, or turns. Of course it wont be worth anything without following the path upstream - TB, Elbow, Manifold, and Heads all have to be high flowing and spinning a lot of revs for that setup to make a gain.
I cant do a bottom feeder ram air becasue of where ai have my very large trans cooler mounted.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Do your MAP readings support your suspicion of restriction???

You could put a small piece of PVC or pipe in place of the MAF as a cheap simple test.

FWIW I also believe that the MAP location coupled with large TBs and moving some air results in a Bernoulli effect causing some reading of vacuum when there really is none.This is based on being around some cars that saw "MAP restriction" with a 58mm and the same restriction with a monoblade.
We didnt really see a MAP restriction, but I know that the more air I can get into this thing the better off it will be. Not expecting like a 20whp increase here, maybe like 5.

I guess my next question is: how efficient would it be to cut the baffles totally out of the hood and just run the stock WS6 airbox with a one piece coupler? Is 3.5" the right size coupler I need?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
We didnt really see a MAP restriction, but I know that the more air I can get into this thing the better off it will be. Not expecting like a 20whp increase here, maybe like 5.
I'm not really sure how you expect to see power if the engine isn't asking for air (vacuum). Ram air setup... sure run 4" heater ducts from the foglight openings and Y into the throttle body with no filter.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure the airbox is a restriction from what I've read. But cutting the baffles will help and you need a 3 inch coupler

Quick Reply: Speed Density High-Flow Intake Setup