LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Multiple problems after install, coolant leak, stumbling, possibly water in oil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple problems after install, coolant leak, stumbling, possibly water in oil...

Been having some problems after the install. Had this over on LTXtech but i didn't get much response. Here is the original post and an update

After several months I finally got the LT1 running again the other day. I only drove it 40 miles before the alternator went out. I noticed a coolant while i was out putting some break in miles on it, and when i went to change the oil today there seemed to be some water in it. I guess a head gasket went. Any thoughts or suggestions? could it be anything else?

Update. I was talking to a guy today at work and he suggested the water could be condensation due to the motor being newly built. I drained to oil this afternoon after 15 miles of driving with it in the motor and there was no sign of water this time. I am going to put some more in and drive it some more to see if any water developes, but...

Before I can do that I need to fix a coolant leak and get the car running right.
The best i can tell the leak is coming from a hole in the bottom of the water pump. It looks like the hole belongs there, but i can't figure out why water is leaking there.

Thirdly, the car is running very badly. It jumps and bucks and when left at idle it is inconsistant, sometimes wanting to die. Freescan says code 48 or MAF malfunction. I could replace that, but before i do, i was wondering if it would be likely, if the opti was bad and causing the missing and jumping, if that would make the PCM think that the MAF was malfunctioning

So in summation, 1- why would the water be leaking out the water pump? And 2- could the opti cause the MAF malfunction code?

Thanks for the help in advance. I wouldn't have been able to build and install and engine myself if it weren't for shbox.com and the proud few in the LT1 section of ls1tech
Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ebeard
The best i can tell the leak is coming from a hole in the bottom of the water pump. It looks like the hole belongs there, but i can't figure out why water is leaking there.
The hole in the bottom of the water pump is there by design, and if you're seeing coolant there, then you need a new water pump. It means that the seal in the pump is bad, and replacement is the only cure.